Two questions: Alaska, the Grand, May 2020

marybrodo

I am sorry if I missed this in the boards; I did do a search, with no luck.

We are looking forward to a cruise to Alaska on the Grand in May of 2020. 

1. We know that you need to get to the theater early to get a seat, and were wondering if you are allowed to bring alcoholic beverages into the theater.  We thought sipping on an after dinner drink might be a nice way to pass the waiting time :classic_smile:.

2. Do they have Movies under the Stars on an Alaskan cruise in May?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you.

while i have not been on the grand, i do know you can and should get to the theater early.  you can bring a drink and they will have waitstaff as well.  i always bring a small wip bag and work on my knitting while i wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marybrodo said:

I am sorry if I missed this in the boards; I did do a search, with no luck.

We are looking forward to a cruise to Alaska on the Grand in May of 2020. 

1. We know that you need to get to the theater early to get a seat, and were wondering if you are allowed to bring alcoholic beverages into the theater.  We thought sipping on an after dinner drink might be a nice way to pass the waiting time :classic_smile:.

2. Do they have Movies under the Stars on an Alaskan cruise in May?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you.

Re: MUTS, they do! Just bundle up as sometimes it gets cool. The hot cocoa and blankets make it all cozy 😃

• Like 1

Not only can you bring your drink (alcohol or other) into the theater but there will be waiters present to take your order.   We take something to read while waiting usually in the form of a kindle.  Ship always has MUTS at night just take something warm but they will give you a blanket to use.  Sailing on the Grand means there will be the enclosed pool under the sliding roof. 

• Like 2

You can take a drink anyplace on the ship.  It's like Vegas.  And MUTS will be fully operational on Alaska cruises, however it will be pretty cool out on deck at night.  They put MUTS covers on the deck loungers at night, which helps to take the chill off the loungers, and I think they hand out blankets, but be prepared to be bundled up if you take in a MUTS movie in Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for the need to get to the theater early.  Grand, the first of her class, holds hundreds fewer people than later ships in the series (such as Ruby).  As such, seating for everything seems easier than some of her busier siblings.  Of course it makes sense to get there early for a show you consider a must see - some do fill up.  But it's unlikely you'll find folks staking out seats an hour ahead (which does happen on some ships).  We've never had a problem finding space even 15 or 20 minutes ahead.

Grand is a great ship, been on her many times, and looking forward to February 21 when we'll be on her once again.  I'll be sad to see her leave San Francisco and even sadder when the day comes that she exits the fleet entirely.  

Enjoy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

As for the need to get to the theater early.  Grand, the first of her class, holds hundreds fewer people than later ships in the series (such as Ruby).  As such, seating for everything seems easier than some of her busier siblings.  Of course it makes sense to get there early for a show you consider a must see - some do fill up.  But it's unlikely you'll find folks staking out seats an hour ahead (which does happen on some ships).  We've never had a problem finding space even 15 or 20 minutes ahead.

Grand is a great ship, been on her many times, and looking forward to February 21 when we'll be on her once again.  I'll be sad to see her leave San Francisco and even sadder when the day comes that she exits the fleet entirely.  

Enjoy

Thanks for this post. We just booked the Grand for 2021 (based on itinerary) and I didn't know much about her. Nice to hear positive things!

Yes and Yes! MUTs they have blankets too! We did Alaska this past May and had the best weather ever! Sad though because in Ketchikan they said they were in a drought due to lack of rain and them being a rainforest 😞 We are trying to get back up there though... so pretty!