Ferry from Naples to Sorrento.

Scotmay

The ferry to Sorrento leaves from Molo Beverello, a small pier adjacent to the cruise port. 

While there are two companies running ferries between Naples and Sorrento, Alilauro is the only one that is relevant for cruise passengers.  (The other one is specifically for commuters from Sorrento, one early run from Sorrento in the morning, one late return from Naples at the end of the day.)  

During the winter the Alilauro Naples-Sorrento ferry runs only Monday - Friday, in April weekend service will resume.

Morning crossings to Sorrento are at 9 and 11 AM, afternoon returns to Naples are at 2 and 4:25 PM.  The trip takes about 45 minutes.

Fares for 2020 have not been posted, the 2019 fare was 13,20 each way.

There is no need to buy these tickets in advance.  For those who aren't comfortable unless they have all the details ironed out ahead of time, and who don't mind paying an extra fee for buying on line, you can purchase directly from the ferry operator on their web site here:  http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe

Edited by euro cruiser

The OP should also be aware that there are trains between Naples and Sorrento that run every 30 minutes.  Depending on your timing with the ferries it may make more sense to head over to the train station and just hop the Circumvesuviana train (no need to buy tickets in advance and there are no reservations).   

Hank

Thank you Eurocruiser for your detailed information. 

Hlitner:  thank you for your info as well. I am probably more interested in training it from Naples to Sorrento simply from the fact that the trains run more frequently. Would you know how far is the train station from getting off the cruise ship. My hubby will be 6 months recovering from a knee replacement. 

May

8 hours ago, Scotmay said:

Thank you Eurocruiser for your detailed information. 

Hlitner:  thank you for your info as well. I am probably more interested in training it from Naples to Sorrento simply from the fact that the trains run more frequently. Would you know how far is the train station from getting off the cruise ship. My hubby will be 6 months recovering from a knee replacement. 

May

I am out of the country and do not have access to my notes..so I hope that Euro-cruiser jumps in with his accurate info.  But I think you are talking about a good mile walk which I would not recommend after a knee replacement.  There is a public transit option from near the port to the train station but lacking my personal notes I will sit back and let "Euro" handle all the details.

Hank

19 hours ago, Scotmay said:

I am probably more interested in training it from Naples to Sorrento simply from the fact that the trains run more frequently. Would you know how far is the train station from getting off the cruise ship.

You can easily reach the train station without the need for much walking. A  metro station (Municipio) opened in 2015 and it is located across the street (on Piazza Municipio) from the Marittima cruise terminal.

Take the metro to the main train station (Garibaldi) where you transfer to the Circumvesuviana commuter train. Info here: 

https://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_circumvesuviana_trains.html

and here:

https://thewanderingwanderluster.com/naples-sorrento-train/

Train schedule here: https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule

Edited by dogs4fun

The main train station for the Circumvesuviana train is Porta Nolana, which is one and a third miles from the cruise port and can be reached by bus.  The metro option takes you to the Garibaldi station (located in the basement of Napoli Centrale) which is the second stop on the Circumvesuviana line.  While it is very difficult to get a seat on the Circumvesuviana train at Porta Nolana, it is impossible at Garibaldi as the train arrives already crammed full.  You will stand for most, if not all, of the 70 minute trip to Sorrento.  You must allow at least 30 minutes to get to the Porta Nolana station by bus (the exact time depends on how long you wait for a bus and how much time you spend buying a ticket for the bus).  You haven't shared your port arrival time but let's assume it's 7 AM.  If you are one of the first people off the ship and hustle to a newsstand to buy bus tickets and if the bus comes relatively quickly, best case is that you can be at Porta Nolana by about 7:45 AM.   That would allow you to take the 8:11 semi-express train, arriving to Sorrento at 9:03.  This is the fastest Circumvesuviana option but it's still 50 minutes of standing.  Schedule here:  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/ORARI NAPOLI SORRENTO_Orari in vigore.pdf

There is a more comfortable train option, the Campania Express, but it only runs a few times a day.  The first run from Naples is at 9:06 and arrives to Sorrento at 9:57, about ten minutes later than the ferry.  In other words, you go through a lot of extra hassle and get there later.  Campania Express 2019 schedule and pricing here (2020 schedule isn't posted yet):  https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2019

Or there is the ferry at 9, arriving at 9:45.  Do note that the ferry port in Sorrento is quite a bit below the main part of town but there is a public elevator or a local bus to get up the hill.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your detail filled replies. Will need to look at all our options including the Hop on/off in Naples. Husband will be 6 months postoperatively, so will depend on how he is doing. He's usually a fast healer, but you just never know!