1st timer using internet

daniella1279

Hi Guys

We have 100 internet as a perk. We usually never use Internet while on a cruise however this cruise is adult only. Whats the best option/way to get in touch with our son? My son and I have iphone if that makes a difference.

thanks for the help and tips

Danielle

Internet time can go pretty quickly because of the need to sign on and then sign off each time.   Most providers though offer at sea texting pretty cheap, .05c for each received and .50c for each sent.  That's SMS only, not images or iMessages.  Get on your carrier web site and look for their traveler/cruiser offers also.  Also, they will probably show a flat fee for using your plan each day while docked in other countries (Mexico is $10).  

Write a "letter"/"set of questions" on Word, copy.   Then Logon and paste and Logoff.   Get your son to answer and then you "Logon, copy, Logoff" and then paste to a fresh Word document.

Virtually none of you precious 100 minutes used up in either case.

The internet minutes work fine for email and texting via FB messenger. But you do have to remember to sign on and off and keep your conversations short, or you'll run out of minutes. For email, it helps if you can read and compose your replies "off line" then sign on and send them. You can buy additional minutes on board if you need.

I would not suggest using your cell phone provider's at sea texting as I believe that for that to work, you would have to connect through the ship's cellular service, and would incur those expensive per minute charges on top of whatever your provider charges.  

Unless it has changed, the cellular at sea texting only incurs the provider's charges, no ship charges.  The ship and the provider must have an agreement.  However, since it is through satellite, it is sometimes slow or not available because of ship positioning.  

OP,  looks like you are on the GA for 5 nights with 2 full sea days, which could easily run up some of that 100 free minutes.  Most of us on US carriers have free coverage in Mexico & Canada while docked - we had excellent coverage last January, including both your ports - no need to use satellite minutes, to just check-in and contact family members, etc.

Instagram (IG) and FB Messenger, Twitter as well as WhatsApp worked fine using those free WiFi minutes - and these work across different platforms (Android to/from iOS)  Do both of you use any of these - if not, install & setup to practice and get comfortable using them. 

As noted, you must remember to log-in and log-out each time, thus an "overhead" of 2 to 3 minutes each time on top, when getting in touch, checking messages or even composing/reading messages offline, etc.  

How tech savy is DS, you might want to share this link with him & read it yourself for a better familiarization or "orientation" ... including screenshots of what the sign-in screen, usage meter, and how-to directions, etc. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2611894-unlimited-premium-wifi-or-unlimited-wifi-package/?tab=comments#comment-59074960

On 1/6/2020 at 10:07 PM, mking8288 said:

OP,  looks like you are on the GA for 5 nights with 2 full sea days, which could easily run up some of that 100 free minutes.  Most of us on US carriers have free coverage in Mexico & Canada while docked - we had excellent coverage last January, including both your ports - no need to use satellite minutes, to just check-in and contact family members, etc.

Instagram (IG) and FB Messenger, Twitter as well as WhatsApp worked fine using those free WiFi minutes - and these work across different platforms (Android to/from iOS)  Do both of you use any of these - if not, install & setup to practice and get comfortable using them. 

As noted, you must remember to log-in and log-out each time, thus an "overhead" of 2 to 3 minutes each time on top, when getting in touch, checking messages or even composing/reading messages offline, etc.  

How tech savy is DS, you might want to share this link with him & read it yourself for a better familiarization or "orientation" ... including screenshots of what the sign-in screen, usage meter, and how-to directions, etc. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2611894-unlimited-premium-wifi-or-unlimited-wifi-package/?tab=comments#comment-59074960

Thank you for your input! We will def download the whats app. they other couple that we are sailing with are use to using that app. they are purchasing the unlimited plan so I'm sure if I use all of our minutes I can log onto theirs to check in quick. i confirmed today that we get unlimited data and text while in port.

• Like 1