Travel insurance?

Newfun4me

Hi All,

We don't cruise all that often, so I may have already messed up.  🙂  We have two haven rooms booked on the Encore to Bermuda on May 31.  One is paid in full, but the other is not.  I'm trying to get travel insurance for the room that is paid in full.  I just reserved the second room and was able to get a good coverage policy on that one as it hasn't been paid yet.  It seems like some companies won't cover you after you've paid it off??  Any recommendations?  I've read bad reviews about a lot of the companies I've looked at (including the insurance from NCL). What company do you use??

Thank you so much!

Kim

43 minutes ago, Newfun4me said:

Hi All,

We don't cruise all that often, so I may have already messed up.  🙂  We have two haven rooms booked on the Encore to Bermuda on May 31.  One is paid in full, but the other is not.  I'm trying to get travel insurance for the room that is paid in full.  I just reserved the second room and was able to get a good coverage policy on that one as it hasn't been paid yet.  It seems like some companies won't cover you after you've paid it off??  Any recommendations?  I've read bad reviews about a lot of the companies I've looked at (including the insurance from NCL). What company do you use??

Thank you so much!

Kim

We use insuremytrip dot com.  They are a broker and give you several estimates.  We always book our cruise insurance after final payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We use insuremytrip dot com.  They are a broker and give you several estimates.  We always book our cruise insurance after final payment.

That might be good advice for very healthy people, but if you have any "preexisting conditions", the essential advice is to buy insurance within the first 15 days of booking. If, for example, you have a heart condition and have problems during your cruise, it likely won't be covered unless you have the preexisting conditions insurance. It gets complicated.

Most people don't know that you show buy insurance but not at the full amount. You can adjust the amount as you book items that aren't refundable. That means you up the amount AFTER final payment. I didn't know that until two years ago!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Markanddonna said:

That might be good advice for very healthy people, but if you have any "preexisting conditions", the essential advice is to buy insurance within the first 15 days of booking. If, for example, you have a heart condition and have problems during your cruise, it likely won't be covered unless you have the preexisting conditions insurance. It gets complicated.

Most people don't know that you show buy insurance but not at the full amount. You can adjust the amount as you book items that aren't refundable. That means you up the amount AFTER final payment. I didn't know that until two years ago!

That's true!  You are quite right about the preexisting conditions.  I mainly get ours for medical evacuation in case of an emergency. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Everyone!  

I ended up calling Insure My Trip and speaking with a representative.  I do have a pre-existing condition, but it's well managed and the policy I got will cover it as long as there are no significant medical or prescription changes between now and the cruise.  I tried square mouth, but it was valuing my trip at $0 (I guess because I've paid in full and did the initial booking last April) so that one wouldn't work for me.  However, I just purchased a policy with Travelex and am pleased with the coverage and price.  Thanks for all the guidance!!!!

Kim

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

Thanks, Everyone!  

I ended up calling Insure My Trip and speaking with a representative.  I do have a pre-existing condition, but it's well managed and the policy I got will cover it as long as there are no significant medical or prescription changes between now and the cruise.  I tried square mouth, but it was valuing my trip at $0 (I guess because I've paid in full and did the initial booking last April) so that one wouldn't work for me.  However, I just purchased a policy with Travelex and am pleased with the coverage and price.  Thanks for all the guidance!!!!

Kim

Your post is a great example of someone doing their homework. So happy it worked out!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

Thanks, Everyone!  

Kim

We always book through insuremytrip.  I like that I can compare policies.  Glad to hear it worked out!

• Thanks 1

Be sure to check what insurance might be provided by your credit card.  There are some cards geared toward travel and provide cancellation coverage up to the amount charged on the card - if you do much traveling, the annual fee they charge might be worth it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

That's true!  You are quite right about the preexisting conditions.  I mainly get ours for medical evacuation in case of an emergency. 

^^^THIS^^^

Hopefully something that is never needed....but if it ever was you could be looking at possibly $50k or even much more in bills without it. I would never cruise without it.

• Thanks 1

We always use insuremytrip.com and compare prices.

However, we are not really as concerned with the value/cost of the actual trip as we are with medical or emergency coverage.

Losing the value of our vacation would be upsetting, but it certainly wouldn't bankrupt us. 

Having a medical emergency and having to be evacuated from the ship, or brought to a foreign hospital for medical treatment COULD bankrupt us (and others).

When we take out a policy, of course it covers the cost of our trip.  We also make sure there is significant coverage for medical evacuations and/or medical expenses.  A helicopter evacuation can easily cost $50,000.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One word of caution with credit card provided travel insurance.  We had booked 4 cabins with our card, thinking that was great to have the free coverage.  However, the insurance only covered us, not the other 3 cabins with our adult children.  This was of no use when we had to postpone our cruise.  Fortunately, the cruise line was very understanding and allowed us to rebook for almost 2 years later with no penalty.

• Like 1