Our pre/post cruise Uber experience in Miami (from FFL and around town)

Silent Penguin

This past November, Dh and I sailed on the Horizon.  We flew into Fort Lauderdale the day before but stayed in Miami pre-cruise and flew out of Miami after the cruise.  In deciding  whether to rent a car at the airport or just rely on Uber, we had to consider that  we needed to get to our hotel in Miami, do a little shopping at the local Walmart,  maybe go out to eat somewhere not within walking distance, and of course, get to the Port of Miami on cruise day and to MIA after the cruise.  Renting a car at the airport would cost a little less, but we opted for ease of Uber.   In the end, it wasn't any more expensive (especially considering our hotel did not have free parking)  and it was a LOT less hassle than renting a car. All our drivers showed up in a few minutes or less. Except for one, all the cars were clean.   I'm not sure how the time of day impacts the cost of one's ride. I would be curious to know how these prices compared to those others have paid recently.   

(Friday afternoon) November 1 -FFL to Residence Inn, Coconut Grove, Miami   54.58

• Lightening fast pick up, clean comfortable ride.  A shuttle might have been slightly cheaper but it was worth every penny to not have to drive in rush-hour traffic. My only complaint is that I couldn't get the driver to understand that I really, really wanted him to change the radio station.  

(Friday night) November 1 - Residence Inn, Coconut Grove to closest Walmart (7.5 miles)  16.55

• Another lightening fast pick up, clean comfortable ride, BONUS - Our driver morphed into a tour guide once he learned we had never been to Coconut Grove.  

(Friday night) November 1 - return to hotel from Walmart 16.83

• Super quick pick-up. Car interior was disgusting and there was an overwhelming odor of unwashed body and overused deodorant. 

(Saturday morning) November 2 - hotel to Port of Miami (8 miles) 15.46

• We requested a ride on the way from our room to the hotel lobby and the driver was curbside before we were. I don't remember anything about the car or the driver, so I guess both were fine. 

(Sunday morning) November 10 - Port of Miami to MIA (9 miles) 17.61

• Quick pick up. Clean car. Driver got out of her car to open the trunk but stood silently to the side and did not offer to help.  No big deal, just unusual. 

9 hours ago, luv2sailAgain said:

Thank you for the review!  DD and I are headed to Miami in May for our cruise.  We fly into MIA, are staying at the Biscayne Doubletree, and leave on Symphony the next day. I've not used Uber much, so am a little nervous.

Once you take the plunge, like I did a few years ago, you will just about give up on taxis.  Fare from MIA to your hotel (I love that hotel - great pool!), should be about $20 or less

10 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Once you take the plunge, like I did a few years ago, you will just about give up on taxis.  Fare from MIA to your hotel (I love that hotel - great pool!), should be about $20 or less

Thank you for the reassurance about Uber AND the hotel. It has been many many years since I simply passed through the area.