Best activity for each stop

gogiantsfan29

Hi, we just booked 9 night May 2021 on Celebrity in and out of Vancouver.  We have stops in , Sitka, Icy Point Straight, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.  I was wondering is one port is known for something over the others.  We are a group of 6 active adults that love adventurous things and don't mind off the beaten path by ourselves away from tour groups things.  We like hiking, kayaking, whale watching or any other animal sightings , biking. Is there a stop we should rent a car and go off on our own or is one known better for whale watching etc.  We did the Norwegian fjords this year.  Heading to Switzerland to hike and bike  next year and Alaska in 2021.  I am just starting now to being research of small independent operators etc. Thanks.

Juneau or Icy Strait Point are probably best for whale watching. 

Since you're into hiking and doing things off the beaten path, I absolutely recommend hiking in at least one port.  That's my favorite thing to do, and it's amazing how few people I see on some of the trails, considering how many people there are in port some days.  In most towns there are great hiking options without needing to rent a car, but renting a car can get you to even more isolated options. Warning:  some of these trails may still be snow-covered in May.  Ask for current conditions and go prepared.    

Hiking recommendations:

Skagway:  One of my favorite hikes in Alaska--maybe in the world---was to Upper Dewey Lake (but I hit it on a perfect sunny day).  It's quite steep and strenuous (with a lot of elevation gain), but not technically difficult, and the views are spectacular.  It gets a bit trickier if you continue to Devil's Punchbowl.  Budget plenty of time.  If you just want an easy stroll or moderate hike before or after a White Pass trip or one of the fascinating NPS free historical walking tours,  the walk to Yakutania Point and Smuggler's Cove is nice, and Lower Dewey Lake is also very pretty.

Pics of Upper Dewey Lake:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/search?q=Upper+Dewey+Lake

Sitka:  The Indian River Trail is very popular.  Last time I was in Sitka, locals advised against hiking solo there without bear spray, because the salmon were running.  So I changed plans and went up Gavan Hill.  So many stairs!  Another fantastic hike that takes you from sea level to above the tree line (though the views don't really start until then, so be prepared for many stairs). Maybe not a great May option.  There are other trails accessible by bus, and if you just want a little stroll, Totem Park (Sitka National Historic Park) is a beautiful place to do it.  

Pics of Gavan Hill:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/12/gavan-hill-trail-sitka.html

Juneau:  Lots of hiking, from the trails at Mendenhall Glacier to the Perseverance Valley to Mt. Roberts.  Mendenhall Glacier has the added draw of the glacier, but I think I enjoyed the Perseverance Trail more, party because it was--again--such a beautiful day, but partly because I probably only met a half a dozen people on the trail the whole time, and party because I had no expectations, so they were easily exceeded.  Warning:  the trailhead is a bit of of a walk, starting at the Last Chance Mining museum.  This last summer I took the Mt. Roberts tram and then hiked to Gastineau Peak.  Beautiful trail, beautiful views, and fantastic wildlife on my particular hike (results probably not typical).  If you take the tram, this may have the best effort-to-reward ratio of any hike I've taken in Alaska--though it might not be a great option in May.     

Pics of Gastineau Peak: https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/12/gastineau-peak-hike-juneau-alaska.html

Ketchikan:  I love Deer Mountain.  Again, however, it's a steep climb and even in July I found snow on the trail.  I also enjoyed the Ward Lake trail system (accessible by bus) and Totem Bight, a park with many totem poles and nice strolling paths by the water.  The Rainbird Trail is nice but very much in town.  

Pics of Deer Mountain:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/search?q=deer+mountain

Icy Strait:  no good hiking options without wheels.

• Like 4

Thanks Melinda,  Great information!! I will have to take a look at your page and read up over the weekend when I have a minute. I see in Juneau you can do the Mendenhall Glacier with a canoe or kayak tour and then a trek of the glacier have you done that.?  

I will give you our two picks for whale watching excursions. 

In Juneau, we really like Jayleen's Alaska and in Icy Strait, we like Glacier Wind.  Both vendors are well organized and provide an excellent experience.  Here are the links so you can get general information and see reviews.  More reviews can be found in this Alaska thread and in TripAdvisor.

https://jayleensalaska.com/

https://www.g-wind.com/

Thanks Italy - I think we will probably do whale watching in Icy Strait.  I see Glacier Wind is having a new boat that can hold 13.  There now looks to be 8 of us going so that might work out great..  Will have to figure out other stops since most of these boats seem to hold 6.   I was looking at Gallant Adventures Wildlife Tours in Sitka .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

Thanks Italy - I think we will probably do whale watching in Icy Strait.  I see Glacier Wind is having a new boat that can hold 13.  There now looks to be 8 of us going so that might work out great..  Will have to figure out other stops since most of these boats seem to hold 6.   I was looking at Gallant Adventures Wildlife Tours in Sitka .

I don't know if you did a search on this Alaska board for Gallant.  In case you haven't, click on the link for some comments:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Gallant&type=forums_topic&nodes=33

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

Thanks Melinda,  Great information!! I will have to take a look at your page and read up over the weekend when I have a minute. I see in Juneau you can do the Mendenhall Glacier with a canoe or kayak tour and then a trek of the glacier have you done that.?  

I have not done that, but I've been tempted.  It sounds really cool.  

On 1/10/2020 at 11:04 AM, gogiantsfan29 said:

Your welcome.  I think the larger vessel will be a great addition to Glacier Wind.  FYI, when the time comes, if you do decide to book with Glacier Wind don't wait too long as they are a very popular vendor. 

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Your welcome.  I think the larger vessel will be a great addition to Glacier Wind.  FYI, when the time comes, if you do decide to book with Glacier Wind don't wait too long as they are a very popular vendor. 

Great.  How far in advance is normal for Alaska ?  

17 minutes ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

Great.  How far in advance is normal for Alaska ?  

Well....that's hard to say. Some vendors will let you book or at least take your info about a year out; others will tell you to call back during a particular time when they start accepting reservations.  For our small whale watching vendors (Glacier Wind in Icy Strait or Jayleen's Alaska in Juneau) we usually book a year out.  I am kind of a fanatic about getting the vendors we want.  😁  If interested in Glacier Wind you can always email them and see what they have to say. 

Karen

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Well....that's hard to say. Some vendors will let you book or at least take your info about a year out; others will tell you to call back during a particular time when they start accepting reservations.  For our small whale watching vendors (Glacier Wind in Icy Strait or Jayleen's Alaska in Juneau) we usually book a year out.  I am kind of a fanatic about getting the vendors we want.  😁  If interested in Glacier Wind you can always email them and see what they have to say. 

Karen

Hi Karen.. from another Karen.. LOL.. 

Yeah, I am just like you very particular about getting who I want too.  While in Norway we had this one stop where they only had two cars to rent out in the whole town.  I booked like 18 months out and the guy thought i was crazy.  But, I beat all the buses and tours to this one glacier and our group had the whole place to ourselves for almost an hour it was well worth all the time and effort to get what I wanted.  Thanks.

• Like 3

I you like hiking on your own or with your group, check out my trip report, lots of pictures and hiking on my own and it was amazing.  We had lots of time in each port so it made it much more enjoyable.  Highlights were Upper Dewey Falls/Devils Punchbowl and at Kenai Fjords.  Deer Mountain was pretty good too.  As we summited we came up on a bald eagle and it took off right by us  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Karen

We are sailing on August 17 and I contacted Glacier Winds on 9/28.  I received a phone call from Theresa later that day and thanked me for booking and informing me of the new ship that should be ready by then and made sure I was ok with it instead of the smaller one.  I confirmed that it was fine.  She was so nice and we are looking forward to our trip.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hoopslover said:

We are sailing on August 17 and I contacted Glacier Winds on 9/28.  I received a phone call from Theresa later that day and thanked me for booking and informing me of the new ship that should be ready by then and made sure I was ok with it instead of the smaller one.  I confirmed that it was fine.  She was so nice and we are looking forward to our trip.

Wonderful.  Shawn and Teresa are great people and work hard to ensure their guests have an enjoyable experience.  We have made 7 trips with them with one more coming up in May.  Wishing you wonderful memories of your experience.