Pre Excursion Chaos on the Jade

GlamorousGirl

We sailed on the Jade in November from Rome to Dubai and the process for organizing for excursions was absolute chaos. We were supposed to meet in the theater, like other ships. But unlike other ships, the aisles remaining clear was not enforced at all, and people were tightly packing the aisle into the theater where bus stickers were being handed out instead of coming down into the theater and taking a seat like they’re supposed to. I’m the kind of person who’s willing to get up a half hour earlier to get to the theater early and be one of the first out (the FAIR way!) But in this case the latecomers had the advantage - crowding the exit aisle, blocking people trying to get out, and getting out first even though they arrived late. All the cruise excursion director had to do was announce “I’m not calling ANY more excursions until EVERYone sits down!’ - they do this on other ships, and mean it (no excursions called) and it works great! No blocking fire lanes, no people getting trampled, no chaos... I’m sailing on Jade again this spring and really hope they get it sorted out by then... By the way, why do people do that instead of being courteous??!

They HAVE to get the front seats on the bus!!!

Giving stickers out as people LEAVE does NOT work but NCL will not change.   Especially if the sticker desk is at the wrong end of the theatre corridor as we have found them on NCL all of the time.

While there is a lot wrong with the way that Princess does things they have it over NCL in getting stickers out and groups together.   Stickers as you ENTER the theatre and then the rows have labels with sticker colour and number.   Get sticker enter and sit down and wait.

Try getting NCL to change!!!  No chance!!!

4 minutes ago, casofilia said:

They HAVE to get the front seats on the bus!!!

Giving stickers out as people LEAVE does NOT work but NCL will not change.   Especially if the sticker desk is at the wrong end of the theatre corridor as we have found them on NCL all of the time.

While there is a lot wrong with the way that Princess does things they have it over NCL in getting stickers out and groups together.   Stickers as you ENTER the theatre and then the rows have labels with sticker colour and number.   Get sticker enter and sit down and wait.

Try getting NCL to change!!!  No chance!!!

Stickers as you enter? Love that idea! That eliminates the whole problem! You’d think they’d want to keep the fire lanes clear on ncl to be in compliance with port authorities...! I love ncl but there’s definitely room for improvement, no excuse for this

Once in the theatre you can't get out with your "luggage"!!!  Got to the toilet or buy water yes.

Then the theatre is on two levels with two exits on each.   One is the Entrance but you don't know which of the other three is Your Exit.

Then there are often two gangways, again you don't know which your group will use; this is especially true at tender ports!!

People still rush but it isn't as bad.   I had to laugh a couple of times.   People arrived at the security area with fresh hot coffee, in a rush to get off for the front seats.   Security took them to one side and had them stand there till they had finished their coffee.  If looks could kill!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

We sailed on the Jade in November from Rome to Dubai and the process for organizing for excursions was absolute chaos. We were supposed to meet in the theater, like other ships. But unlike other ships, the aisles remaining clear was not enforced at all, and people were tightly packing the aisle into the theater where bus stickers were being handed out instead of coming down into the theater and taking a seat like they’re supposed to. I’m the kind of person who’s willing to get up a half hour earlier to get to the theater early and be one of the first out (the FAIR way!) But in this case the latecomers had the advantage - crowding the exit aisle, blocking people trying to get out, and getting out first even though they arrived late. All the cruise excursion director had to do was announce “I’m not calling ANY more excursions until EVERYone sits down!’ - they do this on other ships, and mean it (no excursions called) and it works great! No blocking fire lanes, no people getting trampled, no chaos... I’m sailing on Jade again this spring and really hope they get it sorted out by then... By the way, why do people do that instead of being courteous??!

This is just ONE of the MANY reasons why I have returned to HAL!

Edited by GeriatricNurse
Delete reply

11 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

This is just ONE of the MANY reasons why I have returned to HAL!

16 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

We sailed on the Spirit last January and liked how they organized shore excursion groups. Each excursion had a specific meeting time in the theater. There were never more than 2 or 3 groups in the theater at the same time. There was still some ‘jockeying’ for position, but not as bad as having the entire theater filled when we sailed on the Jade the summer before. 
It may also help to find the best two crew members who are adept at crowd control to organize everything in the theater. Preferably someone with a good sense of humor and a loud voice if there is no microphone. It can be done pleasantly and efficiently.

Looking forward to our next Jade cruise and hoping shore excursion mayhem is a thing of the past!