Fjords cruise with kids ?

Tikka234

49 minutes ago, john watson said:

I do not know why do you just not simply tell us?

Regards John

I think they missed a vital full stop John. I think they meant they have only done the fjords as a couple, and are asking opinions of anyone who has taken kids. I could be wrong of course 😂 

8 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I think they missed a vital full stop John. I think they meant they have only done the fjords as a couple, and are asking opinions of anyone who has taken kids. I could be wrong of course 😂 

Yes your right been as a couple no kids . Not really looked at it from a kids point of view of like  what excursions kids would enjoy. Just wondered what others who have taken children did they enjoy it, or would a different location be better.

I haven't experience of taking children - also it will depend on which ports you are visiting and what the children would be interested in. 

There is a well rated Aquarium at Alesund for example which may be of interest - other ports have visits to viking farms etc which might be worth considering.  The Oil Museum in Stavanger is very good too and does present things in away which I think is of interest to all.  There's the funicular at Bergen and lovely parkland on the top for walking.  

You have been to the Fjords yourself and know of course that the main attraction is the scenery - which may not make so much of an impression on at least the younger children.  

I'd recommend doing some research on what attractions there are in or near the ports you are considering also try to find which excursions P&O offer - you may be able to DiY for some of them.   They could also provide some ideas of more active experiences, kayaking for example. 

Edited by kruzseeka

2 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

I was just being naughty there Les.

I have been to the Fjords with my daughter, she was about nine at the time.  We did get off the ship a couple of times but did not do excursions.  Fjords often involve tenders.  She has been on about twenty cruises now and she seems to say that the Fjords was the worst.  The weather was superb and the scenery as you sail along is fantastic.  She loved swimming on board in port but there was not as much to do when you get off.  If I were booking for this number of older children I should ask them what are they into?  Beach type holiday or city shopping, architecture, activities and historic sites?  For beach holidays I would be going to the Canaries which is at the budget end of itineraries and doing beaches and some activities off an independent like Viator.  Six times a ship's excursion at every port is going to be a pretty large bill.  If your budget would run to it Southampton to Mediterranean with beaches, cities shopping and architecture.  I am wondering if 9 - 17 year olds all sing from the same hymn sheet particularly if there is a boy/girl mix.   In this respect do they all do the same thing off the ship and remember with P&O if the group splits onboard/off the ship. One parent would have to stay on board if any of the others wanted to go ashore except the 17 year old.  The minimum sole disembarkation age is 16 and children under 16 may not be left alone on board,.  Signing kids in/out of Children's Club as an approved person is 18 so 17 year old is not yet old enough to do do this.  If he/she was 18 soon, if it were me I should book then because it makes things more flexible as three adults can sign the others in/out clubs.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I’m taking my kid’s to fjords in 2021 so until then I haven’t got a clue but mine are under 6 and we were going to go last year so I wouldn’t hesitate to take mine just for the experience of somewhere else, have a walk round, find a cafe For local food etc and if there was something specific like we looked at an ice bar that looked interesting but that’s not on the 2021 we would go ourselves not as a p&o excursion 

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

My daughter went to the fjords with me at the ages of 9, 13 and 18. Loved it at all ages.

We went with 6 yrs and 12 month grandsons, I dont think they were unduly bothered about the scenery but the 6 year old loved the pool area, and enjoyed wandering around the ports, but we did no excursions.

Each kid will be different so I don't think anyone can tell you what is going to suit your children. Our (9 year old) son is a 7 cruise veteran but much as we love Norway and the Baltic ports we wouldn't dream of taking him there until he is older.

For him port days mean a beach, an aquarium, a zoo, a lido, a water park or some other fun activity followed by lunch and ideally a toy shop. We've been to the aquarium in Alesund and it is great but I can't think of many other attractions in Norwegian ports that would tick boxes for him. Lunch ashore is likely to be expensive too.

• Like 1

We did the Briksdal Glacier when my daughter was 9. She got very excited and raced up the footpath and behind the waterfall. She really enjoyed the walk up and down , standing on the snow (you could back then; it's shrunk a lot since) and the strawberry waffles at the end! She also loved walking around Stavanger and spotting the animal scuptures, and shopping in Bergen as well as the cable car and exploring at the top. She has always liked walking, so whether or not we've done excursions I've always built a walk into trips ashore.

• Like 1

Stavanger, Bergen, Oslo ,Alesund, Tromso and Trondheim are very good for children. The Oil (Petroleum) museum in Stavanger is great - extremely interesting and fun for all ages' We all really enjoyed it. As has been said - the funincular in Bergen is good and there is a playground and lake walk at the top. There is also a cable car ride on Mt Ulriken which is good fun and worth the views at the top. Oslo has the Folk Museum and the ferry across the fjord to get there...Alesund has an indoor swimming pool and fun splash just where the ship docks and Tromso has an amazing nature centre with seal feeding and a 3D film display which is one of the best we've seen. Trondheim has a great Polar Museum and town walk - look for the bicycle lift!   

The excursons are good too on Fjiord  cruises - Rib rides, land trains, kayaking etc. The only down side could possibly be the weather which might hamper pool  & deck time though we have had some very hot days (and also some very wet days too!)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Morgans said:

Stavanger, Bergen, Oslo ,Alesund, Tromso and Trondheim are very good for children. The Oil (Petroleum) museum in Stavanger is great - extremely interesting and fun for all ages' We all really enjoyed it. As has been said - the funincular in Bergen is good and there is a playground and lake walk at the top. There is also a cable car ride on Mt Ulriken which is good fun and worth the views at the top. Oslo has the Folk Museum and the ferry across the fjord to get there...Alesund has an indoor swimming pool and fun splash just where the ship docks and Tromso has an amazing nature centre with seal feeding and a 3D film display which is one of the best we've seen. Trondheim has a great Polar Museum and town walk - look for the bicycle lift!   

The excursons are good too on Fjiord  cruises - Rib rides, land trains, kayaking etc. The only down side could possibly be the weather which might hamper pool  & deck time though we have had some very hot days (and also some very wet days too!)

Some great information and suggestions here, I need to bookmark this quote somehow for future reference! Well done!

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

We did the Briksdal Glacier when my daughter was 9. She got very excited and raced up the footpath and behind the waterfall. She really enjoyed the walk up and down , standing on the snow (you could back then; it's shrunk a lot since) and the strawberry waffles at the end! She also loved walking around Stavanger and spotting the animal scuptures, and shopping in Bergen as well as the cable car and exploring at the top. She has always liked walking, so whether or not we've done excursions I've always built a walk into trips ashore.

Looking at excursions most are saying you must be 12, can't see why, Briksdal glacier  was easy without anything a child can't do we coached and troll car (as a couple) 

2 hours ago, john watson said:

What other cruises has your daughter experienced?

Regards John

She's done about 20: Mediterranean, Fjords, Canaries, Iceland, Ireland, Northern Europe, Greece and Turkey. Loved them all. Always up for a walk around, a cold drink and something nice to eat, and people watching. The secret is not to stay ashore too long: half day excursions or a couple of hours walking or exploring. Maybe an interesting museum. We found some quirky ones in Iceland. The give her time back aboard in the afternoon to meet up with friends in the kids' club. All i know is that if I ask her "Want to come on a cruise?" the answer is a resounding "Yes please!"

Of course she's in her 20s now, but still loves the magic. Sometimes I think we assume kids won't want to do things which don't involve rides, organised activities or sport, and they do. She used to like eating dinner with me and being treated like an adult too, though some nights she chose Kids' tea instead.

Edited by Clodia

We went with an 11 year old this summer. Excursions were Oil museum  Stavanger, very child friendly.  Zip line Bergen, her favourite. Sky lift and glacier Olden. Also booked Sky diving in Flam but didn't manage to do this as not enough uptake. So she went swimming in the lake with my husband instead. I watched from the shore☺️.