Unique daytime things for adults in orlando

illiniwahoo

After getting off a cruise in port Canaveral, we are picking up a rental car at the orlando airport, the have the day free until a 8:30 PM flight. What are some unique things to do on orlando geared to adults? We are kid free this trip and want to spend the day celebrating my husbands birthday doing things we can't do with our preschool kids.  So far I've found a cool go cart track, but that won't fill the whole day.  Ideas? I thought about universal, but can't justify the cost for a short day. 

I like Drive Shack just south of the airport - they have 3 or 4 golf games in a fun setting with drinks etc.

Then there is Machine Gun America where you get to shoot really big guns - AK47's etc!

You can park free at ICON Park at International drive and plan things along IDrive from there. There are so much to do!

You can park free at Disney Springs and just explore around Disney using free boats and buses - later in the day you can do a Monorail PubCrawl 

There are many breweries in Orlando http://centralfloridaaletrail.com/

Honestly we love Epcot as adults and drinking around the world for the day.  Don't discard the parks without kids as they are a blast.

I agree with Joe about Disney Springs.  We like Morimoto, Boathouse, Raglan Road, Edison, and Jaleo.  We've only sat at the  bar at STK and had apps but they were good.

So far I've found a cool go cart track,

did you shop around? There are a BUNCH of go kart places in town but if doing it ADULT look for one of the good indoor places.

https://www.idrivenascar.com/race/  NOT CHEAP but not your kid's go karts either! (just an example ... there are several 'adult go kart' places . . .)

something less strenuous ... Orlando Eye ....

Disney Springs is a popular one BUT in the end it is just a shopping center . . . 

Orlando loves beer — and the rise of microbreweries makes us love it even more. In fact, Orlando visitors and locals enjoy beer so much that, over the past decade, dozens of acclaimed craft breweries have popped up to slake our thirst, with new options debuting regularly.

https://www.visitorlando.com/en/things-to-do/discover-orlando/breweries

You can have a fun day hitting a few of these and at each just have a 'flight' ... small samples

Other's mentioned starting at D Springs and exploring by boat/bus ..... I'd go ahead and park at the TTC and then ride the resort loop of the monorail and check out the main resorts on the loop ... a drink at Trader Sam's in 'poly and maybe another on top of Contemp' (doesn't have to be booze!!!)  and at least a walk thru of Grand F' ..... and from the Magic Kingdom dock you can get a boat over to Wilderness and the camp ground.  On a resent 3 day visit this is what I did ...never even went in a 'park' . . . similar to hitting Vegas strip and not gambling .. just check out the lobbies and stuff.

Edited by Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

Other's mentioned starting at D Springs and exploring by boat/bus ..... I'd go ahead and park at the TTC and then ride the resort loop of the monorail and check out the main resorts on the loop ... a drink at Trader Sam's in 'poly and maybe another on top of Contemp' (doesn't have to be booze!!!)  and at least a walk thru of Grand F' ..... and from the Magic Kingdom dock you can get a boat over to Wilderness and the camp ground.  On a resent 3 day visit this is what I did ...never even went in a 'park' . . . similar to hitting Vegas strip and not gambling .. just check out the lobbies and stuff.

CaptBJ, where on top of the Contemporary?  California Grill?  Can you get up there without a reservation to their bar?

California Grill is not an option unfortunately (unless a Sunday?). It opens at 5pm and the OP flight is at 8:30 pm.

Last year I checked in at the reception (no reservation) on the 2nd floor and they called up and found us a table in the lounge. I do not think they allow "walk-ins" just to have a drink at the bar for example. Will check it out soon!

13 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

California Grill is not an option unfortunately (unless a Sunday?). It opens at 5pm and the OP flight is at 8:30 pm.

Last year I checked in at the reception (no reservation) on the 2nd floor and they called up and found us a table in the lounge. I do not think they allow "walk-ins" just to have a drink at the bar for example. Will check it out soon!

Joe, we will be up there a week from today so if you find out, please let me know or email me at Jo Jo Siesta Key at g mail dot com.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Joe, we will be up there a week from today so if you find out, please let me know or email me at Jo Jo Siesta Key at g mail dot com.

Thanks!

We're planning to go this Wednesday - will let you know if we made it to California Grill!

Edited by SteerageJoe

We arrived at California Grill just before 5pm yesterday (Wednesday).

Check-in is a counter (2 staff members) on the 2nd floor between the elevator and escalators. There were about 30 folks in line  (after checkin ) waiting for the ride up to the restaurant level.

Those who arrived soon after (without reservations) were told not to worry, there are several tables in the restaurant available!  That was the good news! One could just show up with a ressie and get seated!

The bad news - the lounge/bar are was closed for a private function! We were planning drinks at the bar (and not a grand dinner) so we decided to try again in the coming week or so.

At least this time of year, if you arrive early around 5pm, it seems reservations are not needed!