Operating Mobility Scooter Question

helen haywood

Yes, there is a lever to move that will put the scooter in "neutral".   It is usually on the back wheels.   I carry a heavy duty door stop to hold the door open while I drive through.  The cabin stewards have them, but they're not always around and don't always have extras.  For your own peace of mind, practice at a local store or mobility store.  Scooters do not have brakes and don't always steer like you think they would.  Enjoy your cruise!  Barb

• Like 1

That is interesting that you have had a door that opens toward the corridor. I have never been on such a ship. I've always had the door open into the room. A door stop has helped with the inward opening door, especially when leaving the cabin.

• Like 2

Sorry, senior moment.  Yes, you are all correct that the cabin door opens inward.

As to the question about will it fit through the door...I guess I’ll find out!  Size wise I’m told it will.  I am just hoping a door stop would help me get it in and out of the cabin if I’m by myself.

On the Celebrity S-Class Ships, the door can go either direction, depending on the door.

The rooms have doors in little "alcoves" and the doors often open outward.  They then open along a wall in the alcove - not into the corridor.

Some rooms on Celebrity Equinox, where Helen is sailing, do open inward, though.  Assessible rooms in some locations open inward, interior rooms that are not in alcoves open inward, and rooms that are set up to be adjoining to the next door room, so that there is an outer door in the alcove, may also open inward.  

Helen, whether the door opens inward or outward will depend on if the room is set up to be adjoining.  If it is, then the entrance to the room will be more narrow.  That will make life interesting with the scooter.  It may just not fit through the door.  Additionally, if you have the bed by the bath configuration, it may be especially difficult.

For example, on Equinox, rooms 9296 and 9298 are adjoining, so the doors open inward.  9292 and 9294 do not have the adjoining designation, and the doors will open into the alcove just off the corridor.  I don't remember off the top of my head which one has the bed by the bath and which is bed by balcony, but it is in the spreadsheet on the Celebrity area.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your help.  I’m doing a B2B.  First cabin is 9270 non adjoining but does have the bed by the bathroom.  Second leg is 8191 which is adjoining but has the bed by the balcony.  If the scooter won’t work on the second leg hopefully Celebrity can help me find a place to put it.  Thanks again; you’ve been most helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to report that the scooter fits our non accessible cabin perfectly!!  Plenty of room!!  Easy to get around it to go past the bed, to fully open the WC door and the cabin door.  Whew!!!  I knew it would physically fit...but I was afraid my husband would have to climb over the bed to access the WC or we would have to climb over it...  Absolutely no problem at all!!  When I get home I’ll figure out how to post pictures.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These photos are from the cabin that had the bed by the bathroom.  This cabin had a cabin door that opened inward and the bathroom door opened towards the cabin. Although this cabin configuration meant you did not need an extension cord to charge the scooter...amazingly enough it was easier to house the scooter in the first cabin due to the way the cabin and bathroom doors opened.

282E501D-2470-4B52-B03D-F2F896053EA3.jpeg

40FFE254-83D0-4DA6-BD2D-89A3B4AB4E39.jpeg

F056DB4C-DEFD-4E38-8463-5D300443FD07.jpeg

A926117E-3781-4081-9832-B4C3B5089A96.jpeg