Tables for Two at Dinner?

jimdee3636

My wife and I have been on nearly thirty ocean cruises on quite a few different lines, and have always been able to get a table for two at dinner, either by pre-cruise reservation or by requesting one onboard. I've looked at all the American Cruise Line deck plans, and the restaurants all seem to show tables of four or more. Am I correct that there are no tables for two? 

Although we enjoy meeting people in various venues on our cruises---bars, the gym, the observation lounge---and we have sometimes asked our "new friends" to join us for dinner, we don't like being forced to share a dinner table with strangers. We've had some good experiences but some bad ones, too, and the bad ones seem to stay in our memory longer. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm replying to bump this up so others might answer you.  Haven't yet sailed on ACL but the small line we went on several times had tables for four, six, or eight.  People usually welcomed new friends to tables but there were sometimes groups who chose to stay together.  Of course, that was awkward at a larger tables if someone asked if they could sit (seeing four or six empty seats!) and were told seats were being saved!  If it was just a four-top, two couples kept their same routine all week and no one bothered them.  Usually didn't take but a meal or two to identify those who preferred to keep to themselves.  Hope you enjoy, either way you feel.

14 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Are you seated at a different  table each night or at the same table with the same tablemates? 

We have been on seven ACL Cruises, and never had an assigned table for dining.  We just show up at the Dining area at the appointed time and are seated, or pick our own seating.  We do not recall seeing any "two-tops" -- mostly 4, 6, or 8 tops.  On a few "rare occasions" we have seen some times where they have placed a couple/few tables together to make for a large "together grouping".

If you meet someone you wish to dine with just arrive together, or inform the host/hostess that you are expecting someone to join you.  We have found the staff to be very accommodating.  We have never "felt forced" to seat anywhere that were not comfortable.

If you have particular "requirements" for dining preference, make them known to the host/hostess, and they will make an effort to accommodate your requests.

Enjoy your cruise.

NRayH

• Like 1

I have only been on one ACL cruise.  I went with my son.  We took turns choosing a table.   Everyone was friendly.  We ended up at tables for 8.   Met many interesting people.   I’m not shy so asking people if we can join them is not a problem and I don’t take it personally if they say no.   Meal time was best opportunity to meet the travelers.  

22 hours ago, Izena said:

I have only been on one ACL cruise.  I went with my son.  We took turns choosing a table.   Everyone was friendly.  We ended up at tables for 8.   Met many interesting people.   I’m not shy so asking people if we can join them is not a problem and I don’t take it personally if they say no.   Meal time was best opportunity to meet the travelers.  

I can drink to that -- then again, I can say that about MOST topics. 😇

In a more serious vein, I also concur with your rationale.

NRayH