What is Ultimate Ship Tour?

lorri111

We are on the Coral next week to Antarctica and have been following the 'live" posts from the ship and I noticed the patter mentions an Ultimate Ship Tour for $150. What is involved with this and is it worth doing? We have many seadays so thought it might be nice way to spend time.

I've taken this tour twice now (different class ships of course) and if you like to understand how the ship 'works' it's great.

You'll get to go behind the doors closed to passengers and see pretty much all the galley (when it's working, not the normal galley tour after the culinary demonstration), the food storage areas and more. The executive chef will be there to answer all your questions.

You'll see the inside of the medical center and the ship's senior doctor will give you a briefing and also answer questions.

You'll see the laundry and guess what, the laundry master will give you a briefing and answer questions.

You'll see the engine control room and meet the chief engineer who will do the same routine as the others.

You'll go into the print shop and photo lab - same script.

The hotel general manager will talk to you as well.

One one tour we went up into the superstructure and learned all about what goes on topside. On another we visited the mooring line and anchor chain area and were briefed there.

You will definitely get deep into the ship, down to deck 1.

Your last stop will be the bridge where one of the deck officers (most likely the captain unless he's called away) will brief you and answer questions.

All the while, a photographer is taking multiple group photos of pretty much every stop. These are yours to keep and are included in the price.

In your cabin will be delivered the photos, a plush Princess bathrobe (the kind provided in the suites), a thick pad of note paper personalized with your name. On the last tour we also got a nice Princess picture frame in the 8x10 size. Gifts may vary of course.

I probably left out some other stops but it's an extensive tour and if you're into this kind of thing, you'll love it. I will do it again if given the opportunity on a Royal class ship.

Be sure to sign up at Passenger Services Desk early in the voyage as the tour size is limited.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I've taken this tour twice now (different class ships of course) and if you like to understand how the ship 'works' it's great.

You'll get to go behind the doors closed to passengers and see pretty much all the galley (when it's working, not the normal galley tour after the culinary demonstration), the food storage areas and more. The executive chef will be there to answer all your questions.

You'll see the inside of the medical center and the ship's senior doctor will give you a briefing and also answer questions.

You'll see the laundry and guess what, the laundry master will give you a briefing and answer questions.

You'll see the engine control room and meet the chief engineer who will do the same routine as the others.

You'll go into the print shop and photo lab - same script.

The hotel general manager will talk to you as well.

One one tour we went up into the superstructure and learned all about what goes on topside. On another we visited the mooring line and anchor chain area and were briefed there.

You will definitely get deep into the ship, down to deck 1.

Your last stop will be the bridge where one of the deck officers (most likely the captain unless he's called away) will brief you and answer questions.

All the while, a photographer is taking multiple group photos of pretty much every stop. These are yours to keep and are included in the price.

In your cabin will be delivered the photos, a plush Princess bathrobe (the kind provided in the suites), a thick pad of note paper personalized with your name. On the last tour we also got a nice Princess picture frame in the 8x10 size. Gifts may vary of course.

I probably left out some other stops but it's an extensive tour and if you're into this kind of thing, you'll love it. I will do it again if given the opportunity on a Royal class ship.

Be sure to sign up at Passenger Services Desk early in the voyage as the tour size is limited.

That sounds great! Do you get a free bathrobe, bonus!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

That sounds great! Do you get a free bathrobe, bonus!

I have gone twice and each time I received the light waffle bathrobe, not the heavy terry cloth one. On my first tour I also received a chef's jacket.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, denmarks said:

I have gone twice and each time I received the light waffle bathrobe, not the heavy terry cloth one. On my first tour I also received a chef's jacket.

Wow! Sounds great, always love those shows that show you behind the scenes of ships and hotels and if I can get a freebie or two as well - why not!

• Like 1

I've been on 4 on different ships. Every tour is somewhat different as each area is seen through the perspective of the host. Also different questions are asked by the participants. i find it to be well worth the price. 

Edited by Jmanly
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, lorri111 said:

So you sign at the main passengers service desk?

We have done it twice on different ships on Trans- Atlantic cruises.  We felt it gave us a whole new appreciation of cruising and the cruise staff and what really goes on behind the scenes.  We thought all the swag they gave us after each tour was worth as much if not more then what we paid both times to the UST.

Both times we were one of the first groups to board and I went right to the Passenger Services Desk and told them I wanted to be put on the list for the UTS.  Each time there were only 15 in our group and they only did one tour for each cruise.

They are very popular and limited so I would recommend signing up right when boarding.

5 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We have done it twice on different ships on Trans- Atlantic cruises.  We felt it gave us a whole new appreciation of cruising and the cruise staff and what really goes on behind the scenes.  We thought all the swag they gave us after each tour was worth as much if not more then what we paid both times to the UST.

Both times we were one of the first groups to board and I went right to the Passenger Services Desk and told them I wanted to be put on the list for the UTS.  Each time there were only 15 in our group and they only did one tour for each cruise.

They are very popular and limited so I would recommend signing up right when boarding.

Thanks for the tip!

We did UST just last week on the ROYAL and as usual, it was amazing.   We have also been able to do it on two other ships but at our age, this was probably the last time due to all the walking and stairs.  It lasts about 3 hours and well worth the cost in terms of what you learn.  We went right to the passenger service desk within 45 minutes of embarkation and were #11 and #12 on the list as they only allowed 14 names.  One gentleman said he signed up within the first hour and he had to be put on waiting list--luckily there was a cancellation and he was able to join us.  I always compared it to cost of an excursion but some excursions aren't worth the  price.   

lorri111, if you email me, I will answer your email with an attachment that is my UST Review for the Majestic Princess for it's Maiden voyage.  It's a two page, very detailed review.  

Sgchin39@gmail.com

Stan

Edited by Gimer

7 minutes ago, Gimer said:

lorri111, if you email me, I will answer your email with an attachment that is my UST Review for the Majestic Princess for it's Maiden voyage.  It's a two page, very detailed review.  

Sgchin39@gmail.com

Stan

Have done so..

I did this tour almost 5 years ago on the Royal and absolutely loved it.  The one thing that I still smile about when I think about it occurred in the laundry area.  There was this machine that dried, ironed, folded and then stacked bedsheets in about 5 seconds flat.  One after the other after the other. I was fascinated watching it and could have stood there for ages!  This isn't to minimize all the other really interesting stuff we saw (I don't think it was mentioned above but our tour started in the big theatre where we went up on stage and then backstage to see the performers area - their moving costume rack was pretty neat!) but I was mesmerized by the laundry machine!  As they say, different strokes for different folks!