Digital Photos Resolution Problem

mattR

We recently got the all digital photo package on the Explorer of the Seas.  We were going to get a 20x30 canvas print done but the resolution isn't high enough the pictures are between 1.5-2.5 MB.  This isn't high enough for that size of print is there a way to get a higher resolution image from "Our Cruise Photos"?  I have sent the company an e-mail just wondering if anyone has had success getting a higher resolution copy from them. 

Edited by mattR

12 minutes ago, mattR said:

We recently got the all digital photo package on the Explorer of the Seas.  We were going to get a 20x30 canvas print done but the resolution isn't high enough the pictures are between 1.5-2.5 MB.  This isn't high enough for that size of print is there a way to get a higher resolution image from "Our Cruise Photos"?

This is an issue I have with Royal Caribbean.  The files they give you  (at least the ones I've received) are about that size and the resolution isn't really high enough for larger prints, at least in my opinion.   That's a problem for me and why I may not get the digital package next time.

I'm not sure about how to get a bigger file from My Cruise Photos, but if you have Photoshop, you might be able to increase the resolution by resizing the image. I've played around with mine in that program because I've done some of my own retouching and I've gotten pretty good prints doing that, but not 20 X  30.

This is the response I got from the company.  

Below you will find more information on the file sizes and resolution we supply to our guests.

All images supplied meet our standards of resolution and DPI which have been confirmed at a minimum of 2000×3000(resolution) and 300(Dots per inch) these have been our standard specifications for images for many years and meet the requirements for printing both onboard with our shoreside vendors as well as all common photo printing retailers.

We often find that there can be occasional confusion between what resolution is and how this relates to the image file size (in Megabytes). We use high quality compression settings onboard that allow us to keep both specs of the images high, but also allow us to control the MB size of images keeping them to a reasonable MB size to ensure the speed of transfer from the ship to our guests on various media and printed products that we supply ou r photos on.

Additionally please note, the images come as they are seen onboard, with borders and templates that cannot be altered, there is no additional version of the photo stored.

Thank you

Kind regards,
Our Cruise Photos Support

No I don't understand compression so can I print a 2k/3k resolution image up to 20x30inch canvas?  The file size of the image is only 1.71MB but it has a lot of white?

36 minutes ago, mattR said:

No I don't understand compression so can I print a 2k/3k resolution image up to 20x30inch canvas?  The file size of the image is only 1.71MB but it has a lot of white?

The compression isn't the most important consideration (assuming it wasn't done horribly).  Most images are compressed in some way, shape, or form to reduce size.  Uncompressed image files are huge.  Compressing an image does result in a loss of quality, but if done within reason it isn't normally a major issue unless a lot of touching up and editing is required.

More important is the resolution.  2000x3000 will generally not yield good results scaled to a 20x30 inches.    You only have 100 pixels per inch in that case (or dots per inch when printed, hence the DPI term).  You can contact your printer about what they feel is a minimum for the canvas you are working with, but in most applications I've worked with that is well below the minimum. 

It sounds to me like RCI is giving you files geared towards printing at 8x10 or similar sizes.

You may be able to get some more detailed information in the photography subforum, as some of the experts there have a lot more experience than me and may have some additional suggestions.  Based on the level of quality you are willing to accept, the material you are printing on, what the viewing distance is, etc, there might be a way to make it work to your satisfaction.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/72-photo-camera-discussions/

23 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

The compression isn't the most important consideration (assuming it wasn't done horribly).  Most images are compressed in some way, shape, or form to reduce size.  Uncompressed image files are huge.  Compressing an image does result in a loss of quality, but if done within reason it isn't normally a major issue unless a lot of touching up and editing is required.

More important is the resolution.  2000x3000 will generally not yield good results scaled to a 20x30 inches.    You only have 100 pixels per inch in that case (or dots per inch when printed, hence the DPI term).  You can contact your printer about what they feel is a minimum for the canvas you are working with, but in most applications I've worked with that is well below the minimum. 

It sounds to me like RCI is giving you files geared towards printing at 8x10 or similar sizes.

You may be able to get some more detailed information in the photography subforum, as some of the experts there have a lot more experience than me and may have some additional suggestions.  Based on the level of quality you are willing to accept, the material you are printing on, what the viewing distance is, etc, there might be a way to make it work to your satisfaction.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/72-photo-camera-discussions/

Thanks for the suggestion

Photoshop has several different ways to increase the size of a photo. Some are better than others, and photos without detailed backgrounds are easier to avoid pixilation. I have found that sometimes doing an enlargement in stages of 125% or so, with a little bit of sharpening in between each stage, can work. There are so many different ways that much experimentation is valuable. Google for help on changing photo size and/or dpi.

Edited by mayleeman

4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Photoshop has several different ways to increase the size of a photo. Some are better than others, and photos without detailed backgrounds are easier to avoid pixilation. I have found that sometimes doing an enlargement in stages of 125% or so, with a little bit of sharpening in between each stage, can work. There are so many different ways that much experimentation is valuable. Google for help on changing photo size and/or dpi.

The filters in Photoshop aren't going be any better. Try these:

http://waifu2x.udp.jp/

https://bigjpg.com/

http://a-sharper-scaling.com/

https://imageupscaler.com/