Information on embarkation and disembark on Liberty

danny1951

We are first time cruisers (retired, mid-60's) and on the March 29, 2020 LOS sailing out of Galveston.  We are wondering about the time it takes to embark on 3/29 disembark on 4/5.  What time should we arrive at the port?  Is there a preferable time to arrive so we are not in long lines to board?  We live in San Antonio so will be driving to Galveston the morning of the cruise  We have reserved parking at the port's parking lot.  Any recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I drive in from Austin and prefer to be there early in case something happens along the way.  For me, it's a 3 hour drive and even though its Sunday, there could always be an accident to delay travel.

I try to arrive at parking around 10am.  I have not found lines to be long and we are usually on board around 11 - 1130 am.

Make sure you check in online as that will save a lot of time.  Make sure your passports or IDS and check in paperwork are in your carry on luggage.  You will check your bigger bags with the porters before starting the check in process.  Its really pretty easy.  There are definitely more people around at 1030 than at 130, but I like to get onboard, explore the ship, and get some lunch.

I am actually going to be on Liberty starting tomorrow, so I can post my actual times for check in after.

Edited by Wordell1

We have been on Liberty twice. Last March and then again this Oct. Have April of 2021 booked. 

Both times arrived about 10:30 am. Easy to move through line, maybe 20 minutes. Slow down comes with waiting for ship to be cleared by customs. We were on ship and eating lunch by 12:00 pm.

Off loading ship on arrival back in Galveston, off ship by 9:30 am.

We drive from Missouri so just jump in our car and leave.

Great ship, you will enjoy.

I agree with those about arriving early rather than later.  We always park the car around 10am, shuttle over to the terminal, and are usually on the ship by about 1045 to 11am.  We would prefer to be sitting in the terminal rather than sitting in traffic!

Boarding rarely begins before 10:30-11am...so I wouldn't arrive too early....or you will be waiting for them to open the ship to boarding.  Once that's happened, it's not a long wait.  Folks arrive all afternoon....so it's not as if the entire passenger load is there at one time!