Guaranteed Staterooms - Mariner of the Seas

Hello! I'm new here (and to cruising in general), so hopefully this is alright. My boyfriend and I have booked a cruise in March on the Mariner of the Seas (3 nights) and selected Guaranteed Stateroom (balcony, oceanview). At the time, we booked through Air Canada Vacations and when talking about the room types, we were not told what Guaranteed means. It was the cheapest option (by far, especially with the crappy Canadian exchange) and we didn't realize what this meant, so we booked.

We have just been assigned a Muster Station of D25, which - after doing some research - appears to be the back right of the boat. We have also been assigned Deck 10. After looking at the room options, we are very concerned we are going to get an obstructed view at the very back of the boat. There were very few rooms on the boat we didn't want and the two combined were aft with obstructions. Unfortunately it's looking like this is what we're going to get. Does anyone know when we can expect to receive our room assignment? Anyone have experience with obstructed views? Royal Caribbean is unwilling to help since we booked through Air Canada.

Does anyone have any luck upgrading before they travel (for an added cost) or when they get on the boat? It looks like it's almost sold out though. I am also someone very prone to motion sickness (I can't even sit in the backseat of a moving vehicle) and since I have never been on a cruise, I'm not sure how the aft will affect me. Anyone with motion sickness do okay there? 

Sorry for all of the questions / concerns. Appreciate the help!

Edited by grilldabeast

Have you checked to see which rooms are still available on your sailing?

Also, have you checked to see what exactly an "obstructed" aft view really is?  Unless you simply cannot handle the thought of any piece of steel between you and every speck of ocean view, the aft views aren't really what I would consider to be obstructed -- it's not like there's a lifeboat in front of your balcony blocking the entire view.  

Edited by brillohead

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Have you checked to see which rooms are still available on your sailing?

Also, have you checked to see what exactly an "obstructed" aft view really is?  Unless you simply cannot handle the thought of any piece of steel between you and every speck of ocean view, the aft views aren't really what I would consider to be obstructed -- it's not like there's a lifeboat in front of your balcony blocking the entire view.  

Thanks for the reply, brillohead! We checked to see what was left and there are just a few rooms left on our deck in those areas. Does that mean we would likely end up in one of those, or do they reserve a couple of sections for the GTY people?

We have found some YouTube videos. They just don't appear to get much sun and are larger, but half is covered in shade versus small and more open. Just not a fan.

1 hour ago, grilldabeast said:

Hello! I'm new here (and to cruising in general), so hopefully this is alright. My boyfriend and I have booked a cruise in March on the Mariner of the Seas (3 nights) and selected Guaranteed Stateroom (balcony, oceanview). At the time, we booked through Air Canada Vacations and when talking about the room types, we were not told what Guaranteed means. It was the cheapest option (by far, especially with the crappy Canadian exchange) and we didn't realize what this meant, so we booked.

We have just been assigned a Muster Station of D25, which - after doing some research - appears to be the back right of the boat. We have also been assigned Deck 10. After looking at the room options, we are very concerned we are going to get an obstructed view at the very back of the boat. There were very few rooms on the boat we didn't want and the two combined were aft with obstructions. Unfortunately it's looking like this is what we're going to get. Does anyone know when we can expect to receive our room assignment? Anyone have experience with obstructed views? Royal Caribbean is unwilling to help since we booked through Air Canada.

Does anyone have any luck upgrading before they travel (for an added cost) or when they get on the boat? It looks like it's almost sold out though. I am also someone very prone to motion sickness (I can't even sit in the backseat of a moving vehicle) and since I have never been on a cruise, I'm not sure how the aft will affect me. Anyone with motion sickness do okay there? 

Sorry for all of the questions / concerns. Appreciate the help!

There are no "bad" balcony cabins on the Mariner.

If you are assigned a true Deck 10 aft cabin, you are very lucky.  Those are highly prized.

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

There are no "bad" balcony cabins on the Mariner.

If you are assigned a true Deck 10 aft cabin, you are very lucky.  Those are highly prized.

I'm glad to hear that! In the videos, they look less appealing to me, but I am happy to hear positive feedback. Now I just have to worry about the motion sickness. 🙂

Just now, grilldabeast said:

I'm glad to hear that! In the videos, they look less appealing to me, but I am happy to hear positive feedback. Now I just have to worry about the motion sickness. 🙂

In an absolute sense, a cabin on the aft of the ship will experience more motion than one in the center. (but less than one in the very front of the ship).

In terms of motion sickness, very many people who experience queasiness in a car or bus do NOT have that problem on a ship.

Unless the Mariner hits very bad weather, you may even lose track of the fact that you are on a moving ship - it is usually that smooth.

There is a trick that others have explained on this message board.

If you put/save your SetSail Pass from the app into your Wallet, you can read your cabin number in the bar code.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

In an absolute sense, a cabin on the aft of the ship will experience more motion than one in the center. (but less than one in the very front of the ship).

In terms of motion sickness, very many people who experience queasiness in a car or bus do NOT have that problem on a ship.

Unless the Mariner hits very bad weather, you may even lose track of the fact that you are on a moving ship - it is usually that smooth.

There is a trick that others have explained on this message board.

If you put/save your SetSail Pass from the app into your Wallet, you can read your cabin number in the bar code.

Well I'll be damned. It worked. I have 1360 at the end of mine. You are a saviour. At the end of the day, this is not an obstructed balcony if correct. It's a spacious balcony too. Lucky us! Thank you so much!

• Like 1