Bus System in Guernsey Island.

trrn2016

Has anyone used the bus system in Guernsey Island instead of an excursion?  Also, it looks like there are several places within walking distance of the port (Castle Cornet). Am I correct? Tha is for any information. 

https://www.icw.gg/      website of Island Coachways.  Look for the Guernsey Explorer. Nice tour around the Island; and before or afterwards you have enough time to explore Peter Port itself.  You can reserve to be sure you have a seat at the time that suits you best. You can also just go to their busstop near the terminal and see whether they still have seats.  Guernsey is known for the very good weather, but also for the possibility that tenders cannot enter the harbour because of the waves/wind.  Enjoy the island (and the shopping).

12 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

https://www.icw.gg/      website of Island Coachways.  Look for the Guernsey Explorer. Nice tour around the Island; and before or afterwards you have enough time to explore Peter Port itself.  You can reserve to be sure you have a seat at the time that suits you best. You can also just go to their busstop near the terminal and see whether they still have seats.  Guernsey is known for the very good weather, but also for the possibility that tenders cannot enter the harbour because of the waves/wind.  Enjoy the island (and the shopping).

Thanks for the information.  Is the Castle Cornet walkable from the port?

Castle Cornet is approx 15 minute walk from the tender pier.

You can catch a standard bus to the Little Chapel (or the German Underground Hospital on the same route, approx 15/20 minute walk between the two), then another to the German Occupation Museum, then another either around the coast (not guaranteed as this route is very busy) or back into St Peter Port.

Personally if you have travelled a long way to reach us, and potentially unlikely to be back, I would recommend a private tour with an accredited guide in order that you make the best use of your time ashore.  There are so many places that you would not see on the bus or on the Guernsey Explorer coach.

8 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

There are so many places that you would not see on the bus or on the Guernsey Explorer coach.

But enough for the day to be able to walk around, enjoy the weather etc. Of course it depends upon ones own wishes, capacity etc.

The Guernsey bus system is great for transportation.  In several stays on Guernsey, I have yet to rent a car, and on multiple occasions, I've stayed on the opposite side of the island from town.

BUT... it is not a great way to see the island.  At 5 pounds for a round-island ride on the 91 or 92 bus, it's a "get what you pay for" scenario.  I've been on the 91 on cruise days and have done my best to give a bit of a narrative to those cruise pax around me.  But let's face it, if the best tour guide you have is an American tourist, you might be able to do better.  LOL

The Island Coachways tour would be much better, having a narration and a couple of stops.  I haven't done it myself, but it looks like a nice introduction that leaves you with time to see other things in town.    

Here's a map to help you get the lay of the land.  https://goo.gl/maps/vhpcqHMpmapbfPbK9
It starts at Albert Pier, which is the tender drop-off. It includes Castle Cornet, Hauteville House (Victor Hugo's house), la Valette Military Museum (an underground German submarine refueling station), Clarence Battery (an 18th century island defense), Fermain Beach Cafe (WONDERFUL cliff walk from the battery to Fermain Bay), the German Underground Hospital, German Occupation Museum, the Little Chapel, the Pleinmont Gun battery (amazing views!), and Fort Hommet on the West coast, which is an intriguing combination of 18th century stone fortification and German concrete.  (Ft Hommet is the pic in my avatar)

Unfortunately the Island Coachways bus only stops at Pembroke and the Little Chapel, which in my opinion means you miss out on so many places as you have shown on your map.  Wow 12 minutes, Google is very optimistic, you would be lucky to just drive straight from St Peter Port to the airport in 12 minutes!! Whatever mode of transport they have, I want one 😉