Claustrophobia vs. Motion Sickness

kimsbfl

:o Finally,,,,,,my DH agreed to a cruise - afraid of being sick. So, he was a little leary about having a window which would be a constant reminder that we were on a ship. Okay, okay, we'll get an inside cabin. A few days later and I'm worried I may have made a quick decision. You see, I'm a little claustrophobic, now I'm fearful of feeling closed in. Any other claustrophobics out there????

Hi, I also get claustrophobic (sp?) and was originally booked on an inside room. I figured that I would be so tired by the time I hit the bed it wouldn't matter. I don't plan on spending much time in the room, afraid of missing something!!! Hope you are OK, still might be able to upgrade if desired. You can shut the curtain when your husbands eyes are open;) .

The last three cruises we went on we have gotten balconies. Last year we had smokers toward the bow (next cabin over) and they seemed to always be on the balcony. We weren't in our cabin much and didn't use it much so this year we decided to get an inside cabin.

Well, I am not keen on getting and inside cabin. I myself wouldn't like an enclosed space like that. Well we will be on Mariner a Voyager class ship which has Promenade cabins. These cabins have windows that overlook the promenade deck. If DH this he may get seasick because of looking out over the sea, well there is no sea to see here and you get a window. Try it. It may solve the cabin problem. Best thing, the cabin is about an additional $60pp over an inside cabin.

Yes the PR cabins are the answer, but you can only get them on Voyager class ships. I am mildly claustrophobic and need at least a window. And if you get a balcony or a window it will not make you fell seasick. I have heard if you focus on the horizon, it helps. I rode subways to school as a teen, so that is as rocky as it gets, so I have wonderful sealegs!

Boy, your post just brought back some very unpleasant feelings. We booked an inside for a 5 night cruise E Carib on Voyager when she was a year old for $200PP. Wonderful ship, great crew, but we get to the cabin on 4 and the door closed and I instantly felt like a jail cell occupant. No room at all! Bathroom is cramped, then a room with a bed, a chair, and TV with its furniture on the wall. And it was DARK! I could not sleep hearing noises yet my husband was fine. So guess I was claustrophobic!

Next cruise we got the balcony, entrance level 2C on Celebrity, and I felt like I was in a mansion. So that is all we sail with. Celebrity & RCCL I have to have AFT and my TA is great at letting me know when she gets sailings in & AFT is empty, so I can have any one...

As far as seasickness, which I have never had since I use BONINE. A great fruit flavored pill that dissolves in your mouth for 24 hours of a great day. I take one when I wake every morning. Great on airplanes, cruise ships, amusement park rides, back seats of cars on long trips. You it, you'll be A-OK!

:o Finally,,,,,,my DH agreed to a cruise - afraid of being sick. So, he was a little leary about having a window which would be a constant reminder that we were on a ship. Okay, okay, we'll get an inside cabin. A few days later and I'm worried I may have made a quick decision. You see, I'm a little claustrophobic, now I'm fearful of feeling closed in. Any other claustrophobics out there????

Of course, you will know the answer to this question better after you have cruised. While we enjoy a window more, an inside cabin is fine with us.

I would like to mention, as the poster did above, the inside cabins are quite a bit smaller than the outside ones, interior are listed as 134 sq. ft., while outside ones are 180 sq. ft. That is an absolutely huge difference. With the inside cabin, the three of you will not be able to stand up at the same time, storage will also be lacking. We have sailed in cabins smaller than this, 122 sq. ft. and no way would we be able to fit another body in there.

If I were you, I'd move to the outside cabin and pull the drape closed, just for the added space.

I also see (on another thread) you have a question regarding the sleeping arrangement for your daughter, I think you may be worrying a little too much. Ideally, she would have a bunk(pullman), to free up floor space, but a sofa bed is fine, the cabin attendant will fold it up during the day. You definitely do not want a rollaway brought into your cabin, floor space is precious in these cabins.

Think of it this way, the three of you will be staying in what amounts to a very small bedroom for the week, and that includes your bathroom and closet/drawer space. You want to keep the space as free from clutter and "extra" stuff as you can. I read a lot of posts regarding all the packing people do and I'm amazed they have any space left for themselves! But, that's a whole different post in itself!

Have fun with your planning!

I don't like small spaces either, yet I booked my family of four in an inside on Navigator in 2004. I was in shock when I saw the size of the cabin, yet I got used to it, and the week went by fine. It was cramped, but doable. Next time we will get 2 insides or a bigger cabin. I took Bonine starting the night before the cruise and I was fine for seasickness.

I am moderately claustrophobic and had a TINY inside cabin on Carnival's Fascination and was fine. You don't spend that much time in the cabin, anyway.

I believe that Carnival is known for larger cabins. I think that the inside cabin on the Fascination is probably larger than a similar category on some RCI ships.

We were on the Paradise a few (smoke-free, then) years back and our friends had an inside cabin and it was remarkably spacious and thoughtfully laid out. The next time we cruised with them, they had a PR cabin on the AOS and it was really nice, but somewhat smaller than the Carnival ship.

--Judy

kimsbfl:

The inside cabins on Voyager are small and for someone that never feels claustrophobic, I did. DH/I wanted to try one since we heard many pros/cons on it. Figure if we liked it, we could save more money on the cabin and spend it on something else. Sad to say but we'll never do it again. I felt closed in and my DH felt that way as well. For those that can stay in them... more power to you!

You do have a few choices depending on how much you want to spend on your cabin.

The PR cabin has a nice view of the Royal Promenade and you have a great view for the parades. Only down side... no privacy so when changing clothes, etc. the curtains must stay closed.

Oceanview cabins are nice and you can see outside. You won't have to worry about anyone looking at you while your changing clothes. Not sure if your DH can handle seeing the view of the water. Worst case... keep the curtains closed. These cabins are more expensive than the PR cabins.

For motion sickness... I take Ginger which you can purchase in drug stores, grocery stores, vitamin stores, etc. It's not very expensive and more natural for your system. I start taking it three days before the cruise and take it during the cruise. I've been in some rough waters over the years and I never had a problem. If DH has issues, sitting outside and getting some fresh air will help him.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope all of you will have a fantastic cruise. Hope this information was helpful.

C ya!

I am EXTREMLY claustrophic!! We own a van, I can not sit in the back, need to use handycap rest rooms, dressing room and hotel rooms. Have to keep the bathroom door opened, tuff at someone's house!! When I went on my first cruise, we had to keep the door open most of the time, I had to wait until everyone was dressed & out of the room before I could even get in! Took 10mg. of valium everynight to sleep. When I have an attack,I go into seisure's, not a pretty site. Been taken off rides in Disney, meet many EMT's that I wish I didn't. I can relate to anyone out the that suffers from this. Really stinks...........:(

I can tolerate an inside cabin, but really have a hard time with the mustar drills!! We were packed in so deep and tight last time that I actually passed out!! Woke up to the crew nurses and doctors checking my pulse!! I was fine then! Pretty embarrassing though! Got a free ride in a wheelchair back to the cabin!

I'm not claustrophobic, but I suffer from horrible motion sickness. It's not uncommon for me to wear 2 patches, take bonine AND wear a relief band. I do love the ocean and I dive, so I deal with it the best I can. Anyhow, I have real problems spending any time in a ship's interior spaces, where I cannot see the horizon. I can feel every wave and turn. There is no way I would make it through a cruise in a inside cabin. Even a PR cabin. Looking out on the horizon is a must and being able to open the doors to let fresh air in is also very helpful when you're queasy. Good luck.

Archived