Bergin

duquephart

We absolutely LOVED IT!  It is a great three hour excursion and the fjord and areas are beautiful!  We did it once and plan on using them again next July.  The ship is very comfortable and easy to get to from the cruise port.  ENJOY!!  You will not be disappointed.  Be sure to check out TripAdvisor's comments. 

I haven’t done it, but from reading the description and looking at the route, I would guess it’s a bit similar to the one in Stavanger. However, a large part of the route is sailing through the low-lying coastal islands around Bergen, and the terrain isn’t as dramatically steep as you’d see in the Lysefjord cruise.

The fjord cruise out of Bergen is generally less popular, since there’s so much to see in Bergen itself. In Stavanger, the city sightseeing is somewhat limited, so the fjord cruise is a popular choice for those not interested in the few in-town options.

Have you visited Bergen before? Will your cruise include any fjord ports or scenic fjord sailing otherwise?

If you’ll have other opportunities to enjoy the fjord scenery and you’ve never visited Bergen before, I think it’s well worth staying in town to see the highlights: wandering around the narrow alleys of the Bryggen waterfront, enjoying the views from the top of the Fløibanen funicular, browsing the fish and souvenirs at Fisketorget, etc.

Edited by kaisatsu
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, duquephart said:

Pulpit rock or the one out of Bergen?

We went to Bergen and enjoyed the Fjord excursion very much. Beautiful! We did not have time, and the weather wasn't on our side, to go up the Flobanen funicular.  We had pre-bought tickets also for the funicular but were not able to use them.

The other, Pulpit Rock, is in Stavanger and we have not been there unfortunately.  Looks amazing!  Have fun!

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

We are thinking of doing both but maybe the one will suffice, allowing more time in Bergen. Thoughts?

When you say you are thinking of doing both,I think you are referring to going to Stavanger AND Bergen.  IF you are going to both places I feel I would use Rodne in Stavanger and see the steep fjords and Pulpit Rock from below and the in Bergen go up the funicular if the weather is nice, walk around the town and farmers market etc.  IF you are going to both places I would NOT spend the money on BOTH Rodne excursions.  Bergen was terrific but I think Stavanger is even grander.  Have fun!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VacationingCharlene said:

When you say you are thinking of doing both,I think you are referring to going to Stavanger AND Bergen.  IF you are going to both places I feel I would use Rodne in Stavanger and see the steep fjords and Pulpit Rock from below and the in Bergen go up the funicular if the weather is nice, walk around the town and farmers market etc.  IF you are going to both places I would NOT spend the money on BOTH Rodne excursions.  Bergen was terrific but I think Stavanger is even grander.  Have fun!!

Yes, we were thinking of doing both fjord cruises. Rodne out ot Stavanger seems a no-brainer. We thought we could do an AM included tour (Viking) in Bergen and a 2PM Rodne fjord cruise as well. We were wondering if that might be overkill but thought the additional fjord cruise would be worth it. We are rethinking that based on your comments. Cutting Bergen short for another fjord cruise might not be the best use of our time. Thanks for your comments!