Hanseatic inspiration Amazon

Floridiana

We are booked on this cruise in March. Very excited to go up the river to Iquitos. But so far we are not impressed with Hapag-Lloyd's arrangement in Iquitos, actually non arrangement for international passengers. They sent plenty of general literature but no indication which of the (rickety) floating docks they will use. So far no offer to provide a waiting area/luggage storage/day room in a hotel or excursion for the time between the morning arrival by ship and evening departure by plane. My husband sent them an e-mail and they had nothing prepared yet. Let's see what they come up with. 

We are probably spoiled by previous trips where the wilderness lodge booked all the transfers in the Amazon basin and took care of the luggage. Celebrity cruises did the same for a land/cruise Galapagos trip. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jacqueline, I thought you were on this cruise as well?

Yesterday, we  received embarkation and disembarkation information, ship cards, luggage tags, requirement for yellow fever vaccination. Disembarkation in Iquitos is via a local shuttle boat, no information which floating dock and no information on the time after disembarkation.

We booked the Hilton Hotel. 

... the Hilton Hotel in Iquitos. We won't stay the night, but we can have them store our luggage until the room is available, walk into town, rest in the afternoon and have them call a taxi to the airport. The only thing left open so far is a taxi from the floating dock to the hotel. 

We received an e-mail today from H-L, all day tour in Iquitos 250 Euro. All entrance fees for butterfly garden and/or Manatee station and lunch are extra. We decided to stick with our hotel reservation. Hanging out all day in various hot places before a night flight does not sound appealing. We'll walk into town, return for lunch and call it a day until the taxi ride to the airport. 

Another e-mail today. If you have been to China, Macau or Hongkong within 14 days of cruise begin you can't board. This includes transfers in the Hong Kong airport. 

In addition to all our vaccinations, old, new, updated, we now have results of a blood test for measles. First to be sure we had this childhood disease. I was 2 at the time. And secondly I wanted written proof in case some country wants it. Last year, a cruise ship was refused in Fiji and the cruise line negotiated that passengers of a certain age could go ashore without proof of measles vaccination. The age depended on the country of origin of the passengers because vaccination started at different times in the US, Canada, and Europe. All adults born before the beginning of measles vaccinations are presumed immune because they had had measles as children.

Brazil has cases of measles.

• 2 weeks later...

Floridiana, I hope you write a review ( either formal or in a thread) of your Inspiration Cruise.  We are booked on her in the fall in Europe and within the 10% penalty period for cancellation.  If it is truly awful due to new ship bugs, we may  cancel despite the penalty.

We were booked for this cruise, Floriana! What happened was, once I read through the cruising A-Z handbook I saw the comment that the cruise ship temperature might be higher than some consider comfortable on the amazon. I had an email exchange with Germany, they were wonderful and even consulted with the captain.

We had just come back from Africa, where Botswana was suffering from a heatwave. We had one accommodation without air conditioning and I realized that I couldn’t take a chance that I would be in a too warm cabin. I knew that my limits would be tested in the Amazon, but as long as I couldn’t the sure of a cool bedroom, I would be fine.
The last two summers we were in Europe during heat waves and stayed in luxury hotels that had the European pretend AC that doesn’t work once the temperature really rises. 

We ended up on an Aqua cruise in Cambodia. While Cambodia was warm, it was manageable and the ship and out hotels had great AC for sleeping. In all we spent a pleasant three weeks in Cambodia and Vietnam. Fortunately, our flights were through Qatar and not Hong Kong! Crowds were down due to the lack of Chinese tourists. 

Partly, I think my husband was less excited about the Amazon than I was and took my misery in Botswana (it was 100 degrees and the temperature barely dropped until 2am) as evidence that we should go to Southeast Asia instead. (!?)

I did book the trip to The Russian Far East on the Inspiration and enjoyed Cambodia and Vietnam, just now.  Fortunately, we departed the states on 27 January so it was before the virus had reached a fevered pitch.  Ended up being very pleasant as there were no Chinese tourists and the sights were very uncrowded. Many wonderful hotels with plenty of upgrades, I’ve never been in so many suites before ! Sad for the people whose livelihoods depend on tourism. Many of the guides have just cancellations going forward. This virus is taking its toll in so many ways even when there is no illness. People were so happy for our business. I’m here to help 🤣

Have a wonderful trip, Floridiana and let us know all about it when you return. I’m sure it will be wonderful and can’t imagine any health issues in the Amazon!

Edited by Jacqueline

Just saw the first case in Brazil. Never a dull moment! 
Where do you conclude your trip, Floridiana? 
My guess is that they might not allow Italians to take the cruise, either now.

We did have a passenger from Hong Kong on our trip. They did a health screening before boarding and took everyone’s temperature. Not that that really makes a difference but it gives the illusion of action.

We start in Buenos Aires, finish in Iquitos and fly back Iquito - Lima - Miami.

So far, people who have been in China, HongKong and Macao can't board, maybe the ship will add Lombardy and the Veneto. The newest cases in Germany, Austria and Switzerland are connected to northern Italy.  

Today's e-mail adds the Veneto, Lombardy, South Korea and Iran to the list of countries where you can't have been within the last 30 (!) days before the cruise. They now also include 'close contact' with someone who was in a place on the exclusion list.