Kids Club Question

acthorson

From all reports Carnival is pretty strict.  

That said, asking is always free.  But, be prepared for the almost definite, "No."  

My DD was very shy at 12, also, and really did enjoy Circle C, a lot.  I don't think she would have enjoyed the kids club nearly as much.  So, I would definitely encourage her to try it on the FIRST night of the cruise, for the first meeting.  None of the kids know each other, and they do a good job with ice breakers.

I have a 5 1/2 year old, so in what group will they put him?  He is just a little too old and big to be with the little kids.  Not asking about bending the rules - just wondering what happens when they are right in the middle of an age group.

3 minutes ago, mek said:

I have a 5 1/2 year old, so in what group will they put him?  He is just a little too old and big to be with the little kids.  Not asking about bending the rules - just wondering what happens when they are right in the middle of an age group.

He would be in the 2-5 year old group. The next is 6-9. 

3 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

He would be in the 2-5 year old group. The next is 6-9. 

That's fine.  I hope the group has more 5 year olds than 2 or 3 year old kids.  If the group is too young he will be bored and that will be the end of that.

Edited by mek

They can be together with a doctor’s recommendation.  Our friends have two kids that are in different kid club age groups and Carnival allows them together because one is special needs and doctor recommends them together. 

4 minutes ago, SERK said:

They can be together with a doctor’s recommendation.  Our friends have two kids that are in different kid club age groups and Carnival allows them together because one is special needs and doctor recommends them together. 

Just to be clear: was this different age groups within camp ocean (ages 2-11) or moving to/from camp ocean, circle c, and club o2?

Just now, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Just to be clear: was this different age groups within camp ocean (ages 2-11) or moving to/from camp ocean, circle c, and club o2?

Moving from Circle C to Camp Ocean. 

There is a big difference between a 9 and 12 year old in the clubs. I highly doubt, and, in fact, my kids would be super annoyed, if a 9 year old were put in Circle C. Mine are 13 and 14. Your best bet would be for the 12 year old to move down.

23 hours ago, mek said:

We just got off pride today, there were some kids that were close to 6 (but still 5) and were moved up to the 6-8 group. I was told in no uncertain terms that a 12yo could not be moved down to the 9-11 group however.

2 hours ago, katpetal said:

We just got off pride today, there were some kids that were close to 6 (but still 5) and were moved up to the 6-8 group. I was told in no uncertain terms that a 12yo could not be moved down to the 9-11 group however.

Thank you - this is very helpful.  I guess we will play it by ear - I think he would be happier with the 6 and 7 year olds, (because that is who he spends time with at home), than 2 and 3 year old kids, but I certainly will abide with whatever the staff decides.

12 minutes ago, mek said:

Thank you - this is very helpful.  I guess we will play it by ear - I think he would be happier with the 6 and 7 year olds, (because that is who he spends time with at home), than 2 and 3 year old kids, but I certainly will abide with whatever the staff decides.

In our experience (6 cruises with a Penguin) the majority of the kids in the club will be 3/4/5, with a much heavier concentration on the 4/5 year olds. For night owls they combine the age groups so he'll be able to go over to the older kid side. Now that my kid is a Stingray she uses night owls to go back to the penguin room because they have more imaginative toys (my little pony, etc) and she misses those. 

Also, my kid is an only child and while she was a penguin she was the youngest of all the cousins. I worried because she spent most of her time around older kids even at school (youngest kid in her preschool/kinder class) but she never complained about being around smaller kids. 

Edited by BaronArroz

13 minutes ago, mek said:

I'll also add that the 6-8yo & the 9-11 groups were together 95% of the time this past week

39 minutes ago, katpetal said:

I'll also add that the 6-8yo & the 9-11 groups were together 95% of the time this past week

I believe how often they are together is somewhat cruise specific.  When school is out and there are a lot more kids, they split them up more.  They will more often be together in off peak times, like early in the morning and while in port.