SIGH,,,,You can do better Carnival Corp!

leerathje

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Every ship has an Environmental Officer at the rank of 2nd Officer, at least.

The 2nd officer may have been assigned those duties in addition to his other duties, and he may have a set of the current regulations, but it is not his principle responsibility. 

18 hours ago, Billthekid said:

The 2nd officer may have been assigned those duties in addition to his other duties, and he may have a set of the current regulations, but it is not his principle responsibility. 

That is not my understanding of the role of the Environmental Officer.  

I have participated in several Behind the Scenes Tours on HAL ships and one on Carnival Miracle.  The Environmental Officer is a dedicated Officer that has an extensive job description.  I listed his rank as being a 2nd Officer because the epaulets that these gentlemen were wearing indicated.  To the best of my recollection , none of these Officers had any experience as being Deck Officers before their appointment as an Environmental Officer. 

18 hours ago, Billthekid said:

HAL had an officer who was a designated Environmental officer, but the officer position was eliminated and his duties assigned elsewhere to other officers with or without knowledge of the regulations.

This news is surely "news" to me.  How do you know this?  When did this change take place?

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

This news is surely "news" to me.  How do you know this?  When did this change take place?

A couple of years ago we knew the Environmental Officer very well.  Hosted our table several times.  He said this will be his last cruise because HAL was eliminating his position.  Since then at the greet the officer meetings there has never been a designated Environmental Officer presented or listed.  Even photos of the officers in the hallways there is none.  I have not contacted HAL to verify, but if someone wants to pursue  this further I think that would clarify the question.

Just now, Billthekid said:

A couple of years ago we knew the Environmental Officer very well.  Hosted our table several times.  He said this will be his last cruise because HAL was eliminating his position.  Since then at the greet the officer meetings there has never been a designated Environmental Officer presented or listed.  Even photos of the officers in the hallways there is none.  I have not contacted HAL to verify, but if someone wants to pursue  this further I think that would clarify the question.

I appreciate your response.  Thank you.  I am very surprised with this news.  Since Carnival Corporation is on Federal probation for some of their ships' environmental lapses, eliminating such a position makes little sense to me.  I would think they would want to "double down" on insuring that they had a well qualified person in the Environmental Officer position to help them to convince the Federal Judge that Carnival Corporation really is trying to be meet the proper regulations.