Upgrade offer worth it?

Derbie

Hello all.  I am sailing on the Horizon in April.  When I sign into my Carnival account, there is an offer to upgrade to a balcony.  It is more than I want to spend.  Do any of you know if the requested amount for the upgrade, will go up or down, the closer to the sailing date?

If it's more than you want to spend, don't do it.

Price swings are dependent on supply and demand.  There's no way to predict whether it will go up or down.  Meanwhile someone else might find the offer attractive and accept it.

Have you done a mock booking to see what cabins in that category currently cost?

49 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Price changes are crap shoots... they can go either way.  Likely depends on how many cabins are booked at any moment in time.

What is your current category, and what category are they offering you ?  How much for the upgrade ?  How long is the cruise ?

We are in a ocean view 6M category.  The room is on deck 6, cabin 6258.  The upgrade is $680.00.  The cruise is 8 days long.  Thanks so much.

Whenever I was unsure whether the offer was “worth it” I would do a mock booking and go through and see rate of the cabin that they’re offering me and see how much it would cost me. Usually it wasn’t that “great” of a deal. In my experience you could upgrade yourself for the same or very similar cost. 

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

We are in a ocean view 6M category.  The room is on deck 6, cabin 6258.  The upgrade is $680.00.  The cruise is 8 days long.  Thanks so much.

So, I did a mock booking.  The price for the Cat 8B - cabin 6258 is $3,241.  The current price for your 6M ocean view is $2,491.  The difference is $750.  So... Carnival is offering you the upgrade for $70 off -- not worth it in my book.

It appears the cruise is filling up... didn't see much cabin selection during the mock booking.  Personally, I would keep the ocean view and save that money.  You were happy with that cabin before the offer -- OV cabins are nice.  

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

So, I did a mock booking.  The price for the Cat 8B - cabin 6258 is $3,241.  The current price for your 6M ocean view is $2,491.  The difference is $750.  So... Carnival is offering you the upgrade for $70 off -- not worth it in my book.

It appears the cruise is filling up... didn't see much cabin selection during the mock booking.  Personally, I would keep the ocean view and save that money.  You were happy with that cabin before the offer -- OV cabins are nice.  

But then a balcony is nicer. I would have already taken the offer. Think the powers that be want you to be in a balcony.

The upgrade offer is only good for a limited time. If you wait to long it will say no longer available. You may not receive another offer. We have have received decent offers and terrible offers. We were offered a suite from a balcony once and it was not great, we called and made an offer we thought was pretty good and they actually accepted what I offered. It doesn't hurt to ask, all they can say is no.

Yeah, upgrade offers are a crapshoot. Some are good, some aren’t. If a balcony is worth an extra $680 to you, take it. But it’s not that good a deal in terms of discount. And I agree that you can talk to Carnival to see if there is flexibility on the price. 

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

But then a balcony is nicer. I would have already taken the offer. Think the powers that be want you to be in a balcony.

Of course... so is a suite, etc.  

You fail to take into account that the person purchased a Ocean View cabin because that is what was affordable.  I disagree that you "would have already taken the offer" as I'm sure you would have never booked an Ocean View to begin with.

Put yourself in the OP's place and provide a response that helps them in their decision given their parameters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Thanks a bunch.  I didn't feel like it was a great deal, but never did the mock search. In fact, I have never had an offer before to upgrade a cabin, so I wasn't sure if this was a good deal or not.  Thanks again, that was very nice of you.