Unlimited dining and "Refundable onboard credit"

I would like to do something simple like get the unlimited dining package from my wife and I.  We have 5 year old. But after reading this:

[For Cover Charge Products], Children between the ages of 0-5 are complimentary and ages 6-12 are $10 per child; children must order from the kids menu.  Please reserve product for all guests who wish to dine. Adult price will be applied for all guests regardless of age; the difference between the adult price and child price will be refunded in the form of a refundable onboard credit (unless booked with non-refundable credit, in which case OBC will be non-refundable). For Dining Packages, children ages 12 and under are excluded from offer. 

It looks like I have to pay the adult price for my 5 year old, and then get a "...refundable onboard credit" Which is what exactly? Not sure why this can not be simple.

Edited by thomaskuhn

A refundable on-board credit means they put money in your spending account, and if you do not use it then it is refunded to you at the end of the cruise. (As opposed to non-refundable OBC which is forfeited if not used).

We did not purchase UDP for our kids (and that’s the advice I got here as well).  We have done to refundable credit in the past when we were just reserving a single restaurant. 

The way I understand it - my kid will cost us $10 for every meal she joins us at.  She doesn’t plan to eat with us every day/night.

If you read further down in the terms - you will find a specific statement for UDP /Children: 

For Dining Packages, it is not required that children 12 and under purchase this product. Children ages 0-5 dine for free and children ages 6-12 will be charged a $10 cover at the restaurant.

Edited by Cel_cruise