One Day at Disney?

stevepaolino

I am considering taking one of the Disney excursions (day at Disney Springs or Day at a park, likely Magic Kingdom) for the NCL Bliss next week which stops in Canaveral on Tuesday. I'm pretty well versed in all things Disney, so I'm well aware of many of the general challenges I'd face especially when it comes to navigating the park. I'm also pretty well versed in taking shore excursions, so I'm aware of the tightness of the schedule, overall. I'm sure there are some strong opinions which will suggest NOT to take it at all, but I am more interested in the following. If I am set on doing one of the two excursions, clearly Disney Spring is a better deal (financially speaking), but we really are interested in trying to do the Magic Kingdom for the day. Are there any reputable websites or vendors which offer a 1 day pass at a good price? For those who have done the park for the day, where did you purchase your ticket? At the gate, or somewhere else? I tried looking up deals on AAA, but there only appear to be deals on multi-day tickets.

For those who did a park, which is better? Magic Kingdom is our preference, but EPCOT is a close second, despite the construction. Did you have a meal, if so where?

For those who have done Disney Springs, did you regret the decision afterwards? Did you eat a meal, if so where?

I really enjoy visiting Disney World and Disneyland, and it has been a few years since I've been to either, so I feel overdue. And since I'll be relatively close to Orlando for the day, I want to take advantage if it works out. Any feedback is appreciated!!

Just my opinion. Giving the distance and so many things can go wrong if doing Disney I would only

do it through the cruise line. That will take away time related stress.

Which park is a personal decision. If young kids are involved I would say Magic Kingdom, If its adults

I would go with Epcot. 

Disney springs has been developed a lot but its mostly about restaurants, Bars and shopping.

WE have never been lucky to get discount tickets for a one day pass. 

I have a season pass so I am not familiar with one-day discounts other than sending you to my goto site for family/friends when they ask me the same questions:

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/ticket-calculator-disney-world-ticket-discounts#

About which park?  Nowadays we spend much more time at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios because of the new attractions there. The problem is you cannot rope-drop and you won't get fast-passes I am sure for any of the top rides.

That's one of your dillemas.

EPCOT has many areas closed off. Went there last week and won't return for a few months until new changes are in place IMO. But if you won't see it for a long time then it is still a great place to go next week.

One more suggestion - there is a new kiosk at Cocoa Beach Pier operated by Westgate in partnership with Tickets2You. They have several young sales guys/ladies trying to sell me discounts every time I walk by! 

I hear folks are getting some discounts for Disney and KSC - give them a look. 

https://www.tickets2you.com/

Edited by SteerageJoe

23 minutes ago, goneclear said:

Just my opinion. Giving the distance and so many things can go wrong if doing Disney I would only

do it through the cruise line. That will take away time related stress.

Which park is a personal decision. If young kids are involved I would say Magic Kingdom, If its adults

I would go with Epcot. 

Disney springs has been developed a lot but its mostly about restaurants, Bars and shopping.

WE have never been lucky to get discount tickets for a one day pass. 

Thanks! If we do it, it definitely would be through the Cruise Line. The One Day Pass discounts seem to be non-existent unfortunately. 

19 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

I have a season pass so I am not familiar with one-day discounts other than sending you to my goto site for family/friends when they ask me the same questions:

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/ticket-calculator-disney-world-ticket-discounts#

About which park?  Nowadays we spend much more time at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios because of the new attractions there. The problem is you cannot rope-drop and you won't get fast-passes I am sure for any of the top rides.

That's one of your dillemas.

EPCOT has many areas closed off. Went there last week and won't return for a few months until new changes are in place IMO. But if you won't see it for a long time then it is still a great place to go next week.

Thanks! I agree with you about Studios and AK. Not worth the brief time I'd even have there. I can save them for a more extended vacation. Also that was my thought with EPCOT. Too much closed or behind walls. MK seems to be the best option, plus it seems as if the bus from the cruise line would drop us off at the monorail station at MK. I think at least.

3 minutes ago, stevepaolino said:

Thanks! If we do it, it definitely would be through the Cruise Line. The One Day Pass discounts seem to be non-existent unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

One more suggestion - there is a new kiosk at Cocoa Beach Pier operated by Westgate in partnership with Tickets2You. They have several young sales guys/ladies trying to sell me discounts every time I walk by! 

I hear folks are getting some discounts for Disney and KSC - give them a look. 

https://www.tickets2you.com/

Thanks for the tip! It seems to be a little cheaper which helps.

There are no discounted Disney passes anywhere.  Disney sets the price and everyone pays.  The price just goes down the more days you buy.

We are also Annual Passholders and have been six times in the last twelve months.  It's just so crowded all of the time.

I personally dislike the Magic Kingdom.  It's over crowded and just  a hot mess.  We had a horrible meal at Liberty Tree Tavern and refuse to go back.

Our experiences at Epcot are completely opposite.  Maybe it was the tequila in Mexico?  Soarin' is one of my favorite rides along with Test Track.

Personally, if you are over 21, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are my favorites with Galaxys Edge in Hollywood Studios a close second.

• Like 1

We've bought 1 day passes at the park.  We're going on the Bliss the week of 2/16.  Whatever park you go to, you will be getting there close to 3p.  Personally I would go to Epcot, even with the construction.  Right now they have the International Festival of the Arts going on there.  It's kind of like the Food & Wine Fest with some added arts attractions.

• Like 1

Discounts on one day park tickets are almost never available.

If I were interested in a top-tier attraction, I would be sure to use Disney’s FastPass+ system (free with ticket purchase) to reserve a time for the attraction. Note that Rise of the Resistance, the new Star Wars attraction, does not participate in FastPass+ and, for the foreseeable future, you must be in Hollywood Studios fairly early to get a ride time at any point during the day.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:34 AM, FOPMan said:

Discounts on one day park tickets are almost never available.

If I were interested in a top-tier attraction, I would be sure to use Disney’s FastPass+ system (free with ticket purchase) to reserve a time for the attraction. Note that Rise of the Resistance, the new Star Wars attraction, does not participate in FastPass+ and, for the foreseeable future, you must be in Hollywood Studios fairly early to get a ride time at any point during the day.

We just did Rise of the Resistance last week and the virtual queue was open for ONE minute.  Sixty seconds.

We drove to the park, got in line at 6AM, were in the park by 6:30AM, and when the virtual queue went live at park opening at 7AM, there were probably 20,000 in the park trying to get in.  We got boarding group 18.

It was an insane experience.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, SteerageJoe said:

I believe the construction at Epcot will be a mess for 18 more months or longer.

I am a big WDW fan.  For me, a trip to Disney Springs would just leave me wishing for more and sad.  If I had a one day visit, I would choose Magic Kingdom.  There are so many attractions linked to the FastPass system.  Not staying on property, you could only book 30 days out and not be able to book the most popular things.  But you would be able to book something.  

When visiting Disney World, I always get to the parks way before opening in time to be able to tour before the masses arrive.  This would not be an option on a ship excursion (which is the only thing I would do in your situation-don't want to be worried about missing all aboard).  On a ship excursion, I have a feeling that you would enter the park at a very busy time and the parks would be crowded the whole time you are there. So, I am not sure how much you could accomplish.  But I just love Disney World and would enjoy the lesser "any time" attractions (fewer and farther between these days). If I were on a super tight budget, I don't think I could justify the cost.  But the Disney lover in me would enjoy a little "Disney fix."  It would be a little easier to leave knowing my cruise ship fun awaits.

I have bought my tickets from Undercover Tourist for many years without any problems at all.

Have a great cruise!!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:42 AM, luv2sailAgain said:

I

When visiting Disney World, I always get to the parks way before opening in time to be able to tour before the masses arrive. 

This is no longer an option.  There are tens of thousands at the parks these days for rope drop.

Late night Extra Magic Hours are way less crowded.  Walk on to most rides.

6 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

There are tens of thousands at the parks these days for rope drop.

This is very true, but the first hour or two is still much better than most of the day. I remember in the not too distant past, the guidebooks would tell readers that not many people show up at opening. And people would respond that since the advice is in a best selling guidebook, surely it would be crowded.  And it wasn't for so long.  But now. . . 

I usually arrive 1 hour before opening. I do get very irritated when I get run over by the runners when the park opens.  I really wish Disney would figure out a better plan for RD. But I still do it.

I've also followed the advice about avoiding EMHs.  But that is changing as well. So many changes!!

What hours are you at Port Canaveral?  Our cruise is only there from 12pm-9pm.  Would love to go to a park, but it's just too expensive for 4 of us for the few hours (1hr to get there each way?).  Instead, we opted for a Disney Springs excursion (i.e. transportation).  Hoping it will at least help with a Disney fix.