Shoe protection ... visiting the penguins

Cleopatra99

I have read about this subject in this forum, but can't find it again.

We are doing Buenos Aires - Santiago later in the year and plan to visit the various penguin colonies as often as possible. However we understand it is sensible to have some form of protection against the penguin droppings (eg rubber overlays on shoes).

My questions are -  do you recommend something which we wear once then throw away, or something we re-use.

If we do re-use them, do we need to clean them before we take them back on board, where do we store them whilst on board etc.

Perhaps unlikely .. but do the penguin excursion operators make these available ?

Am I over worrying, and are these really necessary ?

Any advice and information will be most appreciated.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra99 said:

Thank you .. did you notice if others did wear them ?

I don’t remember seeing anyone else wear them.  It really wasn’t necessary for this tour.  There is a loose stone path, and for the most part the penguins stuck to the sides of the path.  

I had hiking shoes I wore for the Penquins. If you are planning on going to see them in the Faulklands, it was not a path like in Argentina. So there was stuff everywhere. I was glad I had shoe covers and hiking boots.

IMG_4636.JPG

Edited by geffric

It's true you don't need them for Punta Tombo, but for the Falklands, you are just walking on the ground that the penguins walk & poop on.  We wore old sneakers/boots & threw them out.  At Bluff Cove, there was a brush that you could wipe your shoes on.  We didn't walk into our cabin w/ the dirty sneakers, left them in the hall and then put into plastic bags & into the trash.  It wasn't bad but we had clear weather.  I cannot imagine if it had rained and it was muddy out.

4 minutes ago, SM77 said:

It's true you don't need them for Punta Tombo, but for the Falklands, you are just walking on the ground that the penguins walk & poop on.  We wore old sneakers/boots & threw them out.  At Bluff Cove, there was a brush that you could wipe your shoes on.  We didn't walk into our cabin w/ the dirty sneakers, left them in the hall and then put into plastic bags & into the trash.  It wasn't bad but we had clear weather.  I cannot imagine if it had rained and it was muddy out.

Understood, thank you