SD Newbie Questions

Av8tor

Looking to finally fulfill my desire to book a SD cruise after too many years of cruising on the mega-lines.  Thinking of SDII this fall in the Caribbean after what I think is her drydock this spring/summer.  I'd appreciate answers for the following questions from you SD experts out there:

1)  Are there/What are     any advantages to booking directly with SD versus using a TA?  I normally book with a discount on-line agency or a high-volume TA who rebates part of her mega-line commissions, but having no experience with SD, I'm wondering what you all do.   (Online site is basically showing the same price as SD's webpage)

2)  I like to swim about 2km a day and was wondering if its possible to do that from the water sports deck or are you required to stay within some sort of corral or defined area?

3)  Do they have sparkling wine/cider for non-drinkers and how's the coffee and esspresso?

Thanks for your replies

8 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Looking to finally fulfill my desire to book a SD cruise after too many years of cruising on the mega-lines.  Thinking of SDII this fall in the Caribbean after what I think is her drydock this spring/summer.  I'd appreciate answers for the following questions from you SD experts out there:

1)  Are there/What are     any advantages to booking directly with SD versus using a TA?  I normally book with a discount on-line agency or a high-volume TA who rebates part of her mega-line commissions, but having no experience with SD, I'm wondering what you all do.   (Online site is basically showing the same price as SD's webpage)

2)  I like to swim about 2km a day and was wondering if its possible to do that from the water sports deck or are you required to stay within some sort of corral or defined area?

3)  Do they have sparkling wine/cider for non-drinkers and how's the coffee and esspresso?

Thanks for your replies

We have booked both ways.  Benefits depend on who you speak with and how good your TA is.  No two times have ever seemed the same. 

The aft drop down deck is not used every day.  It depends on local regulations and weather as to its use.  The pool is too small for lap swimming so this will be your biggest issue.  Yes, you have to stay within bounds with swimming or water toys.  They have Zodiacs out for safety and to keep everyone reasonably close.  Sounds like going to a beach and swimming would be the only way to get in a 2K swim.

Plenty of non alcoholic options.  Coffee/espresso seems very good to me but then DW says I will eat/drink anything....🍸

• Like 1

We book on board (which, obviously, you can't do) and then they transfer the booking to our TA and she gets the commission.  We like having a TA just to have someone on our side.  Hasn't been an issue with SD, but you never know.  She also handles our travel insurance and gives us a credit in the spa.

Agree with Jim about everything else, but I am fine doing laps in the yacht's pool.  Generally, no more than 4, though.  When they do swimming off the marina, it seems like the area is pretty large.  You could probably get your 2K in by swimming the perimeter a few times.  Their primary concern is safety, so if the seas are choppy they won't have water sports.

Our TA offers us onboard spa credit and a refund check when we make our final payment.  We also book onboard via the Club Director and reference our TA, taking advantage of the onboard discount as well.