Airline baggage question

auburn77

We just bought a new set of luggage. One piece is a 29" upright. I checked the airline site on the internet and found that they allow up to 62" combined measurement(width+length+height). The 29" specs show 29+21+10=60, but if you actually measure it, the total is 63 to 65.

How stringent are the airlines on this? Do they use the manufacturers measurements? I don't want to pay an extra $100 each way.

I think you could fly with it one time and not pay extra and fly with it another time on the same airline and pay extra. I think it is up to the gate agents or behind the scenes luggage handlers.

If it's brand new, you might want to return it and buy a set that you know complies. However, the airlines continue to change their luggage rules over time.

One thing most airlines have done is gone to a max of 50 pounds per piece or else you pay extra. (Some airlines still allow more.) I check the weight by holding it on my bathroom scale.

just my two cents- but i think the measurments are not that big of a deal. however the weight is. just make sure you do not go over 50lbs. have a great vacation!

Day,

When I went to Atl out of Newark 6 months ago, I saw the porters measuring somones luggage. So it is possible. This was the Delta SkyCaps

just my two cents- but i think the measurments are not that big of a deal. however the weight is. just make sure you do not go over 50lbs. have a great vacation!

I agree. I have a bag that is well under the limit, but I packed some heavy stuff into it as well as stuffing another suitcase into it. It weighted 52 pounds, and they said that they would charge $50 or $75 (don't remember which) since it was overweight. I just pulled the other suitcase out and both were now under 50 pounds so it was ok. Now we use our bathroom scale to check the suitcase weights before we go, and I shoot for being at least 3 pounds under. We also take a lightweight duffel in one of the bags for anything we buy or in case we guess wrong so that we have a quick way to rebundle things.

If you're worried about this, particularly for the coming home part of the journey, you might want to try and use curbside check in if it is available. I've never seen them weigh anything. Unfortunately a lot of the airlines we end up on don't have it anymore.

Cheers,

Barb K.

In FLL on our return last year the sky caps weighted bags, mine and daughters were each 5 lbs over and we had to repack to get under the 50 lbs, right there curb side thank goodness we had pockets on 2nd bag that we each could stuff. My carry on was stuffed and I could hardly get in the overhead bin. This was with AA, so yes they have scales right outside to check the weight and probably have a tape measure too. Our bag sizes were ok so didn't see any tape measure.

The airlines are really cracking down on overweight so check before you leave home. Unfortunatly we did not have a scale on board Star Princess to check -- who wants to check weight while on a cruise....

We are flying Air New Zealand to Auckland the first part of March. I noticed on their website that beginning sometime in mid-March, they are only allowing 50 pounds per bag on international flights. I can live with that. But, your carryon can only weigh 15 pounds!!! Yikes! That hardly takes care of my book and snacks!!!

Jennifer

The problem with the 29" luggage is that if you fill it up it usually takes you above the 50 lb. weight limit. We used to take the 29" size but now have gone with 28" to get to the 50 lb limit. Whatever you take with you, it is important to pack it full as when luggage is not full that is when it likely gets damaged as other pieces are put on it and it starts to bend.

Keith

Archived