Alaska Cruisetour - Denali or McKinley?

crhunt01

Trying to narrow down all of the options and I think we've settled on a Princess Cruisetour, land first. I want at least one full day in Denali (so, two nights) so we can do some hiking and activities.

Is it worth doing 2 nights in Denali and then one at McKinley? Or is the experience similar enough that as long as we are doing Denali, we will be happy?  If we skip McKinley we could do an extra day in Fairbanks or even possibly a third in Denali before catching the boat.  

Thank you for any tips!!

We're thinking about a princess cruisetour also. But I was thinking cruise first.  I was wondering why you decided land first? 

I'm tempted by that 17 day one. It has everything. But the price!  I don't know how we're going to decide where to go.  This will probably be once in a lifetime for us, so I'm looking forward to reading people's responses. 

I have two reasons for doing land first.  First, we are flying in and if there are any delays, it's much easier to catch up to a land tour than a boat! Second, the land tour will be more active, so I like the idea of doing that more 'hectic' part, and then being able to relax on the ship. We have some older folks going with us, and they may be 'done' after the land tour, so they can skip a shore excursion or just relax, and not feel as if they didn't really see Alaska.

The Princess McKinley Princess lodge is near Talkeetna, about an hour out of town so you need to be aware of the shuttle schedule if you plan activities in town.  This is location is favored for denali flightseeing.  The Princess Lodges web site will have  list of available activities.  Or independently,  other activities listed in the town web site:

https://www.talkeetnachamber.org/

And yes, you need 2 nites at Denali to get a full day there.  Most of the one night cruisetours arrive midday on Day 1 and leave at noon the next.  This doesn;t leave enough time for taking a bus tour into the park except for the Natural History tour which only goes to mile 30 of the available 100 miles of park road.

I'm doing the cruise first, and land second.  1 night at McKinley and 2 nights in Denali, it's not long enough, but it'll do for us as we have to head back to work.

Why not take a look at the excursion options and see what appeals to you?  I almost wanted to the river rafting at McKinley but another tour won out.

If you aren’t going to do a flightseeing tour McKinley Lodge is not that great. I would have much rather had another day in Denali. If I could do it over I would look for something without it and a third day (or more) in the Park. 

in Denali I highly recommend doing a bus that gets you to Eilson visitor center. Amazing views there.