Oosterdam-Balcony room curtain question

SuzieQ521

Hello, first time sailing on Holland America and first time cruising with our son, 

who will be 22 months this summer for our Alaska cruise.

It looks like that on the deluxe veranda\balcony rooms, there is a curtain that divides the bed and the couch area...does anyone know if the curtain actually pulls across to separate the areas, or if it’s just for looks? I’m asking because I’m trying to figure out where to put my son’s crib as we want to give him his own little private area so that he could sleep better. If the curtain does not close all the way, then I will need to look into some magnetic hooks and bring our own cover.

Any other suggestions as to where to put the crib? I was hoping not to put him in front of the sliding glass door but that looks like the only place that makes sense, especially if there would be a curtain dividing him from us.

Also he’s a pretty tall boy but it looks like it’s more like a pack and play rather than a crib?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what class of cabin you are asking about because HAL does not use the word "deluxe" for any of their cabin classes. They used to use the term Deluxe Veranda Suites in the past but  those are now called Neptune Suites. We've never had one of those on a Vista ship so I can't answer if that's what you are talking about.

We have had balcony (VA to VF) rooms on all four Vista class ships and have never had one with a curtain that will pull all the way across the room.  These pics are Oosterdam VE8098. As you can see the track for the mid-cabin curtain is only about 1 foot long.  However there is a curtain that can block off the hallway from the rest of the room. You could put the crib in the hall but it would block off easy access to the bathroom at night.

The table in front of the sofa is movable. You could get it out of the way completely by putting it out on the balcony.

DSCN1804S.thumb.jpg.9546c2eb4abd40046d729d482e99aced.jpgDSCN1807.thumb.JPG.a17c22e86b8156fb60e400b0e3fd709d.JPG

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I'm not sure what class of cabin you are asking about because HAL does not use the word "deluxe" for any of their cabin classes. They used to use the term Deluxe Veranda Suites in the past but  those are now called Neptune Suites. We've never had one of those on a Vista ship so I can't answer if that's what you are talking about.

We have had balcony (VA to VF) rooms on all four Vista class ships and have never had one with a curtain that will pull all the way across the room.  These pics are Oosterdam VE8098. As you can see the track for the mid-cabin curtain is only about 1 foot long.  However there is a curtain that can block off the hallway from the rest of the room. You could put the crib in the hall but it would block off easy access to the bathroom at night.

The table in front of the sofa is movable. You could get it out of the way completely by putting it out on the balcony.

DSCN1804S.thumb.jpg.9546c2eb4abd40046d729d482e99aced.jpgDSCN1807.thumb.JPG.a17c22e86b8156fb60e400b0e3fd709d.JPG

The strong magnets and a lightweight dark drape is a workable idea, but there really is not much space that doesn't impede traffic to the balcony somewhat. Is he a sound sleeper? you could tiptoe around the crib and relax on the balcony. Just don't leave the door open because it will muck up not only your room's climate control but your whole sector.

One thing about the table is that it is adjustable from coffee table height to eating height. Not sure what difference that would make in your situation, but thought I'd mention it.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 4:18 PM, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello, first time sailing on Holland America and first time cruising with our son, 

who will be 22 months this summer for our Alaska cruise.

It looks like that on the deluxe veranda\balcony rooms, there is a curtain that divides the bed and the couch area...does anyone know if the curtain actually pulls across to separate the areas, or if it’s just for looks? I’m asking because I’m trying to figure out where to put my son’s crib as we want to give him his own little private area so that he could sleep better. If the curtain does not close all the way, then I will need to look into some magnetic hooks and bring our own cover.

Any other suggestions as to where to put the crib? I was hoping not to put him in front of the sliding glass door but that looks like the only place that makes sense, especially if there would be a curtain dividing him from us.

Also he’s a pretty tall boy but it looks like it’s more like a pack and play rather than a crib?

Thanks!

I understand your concerns, little ones do need their space that is "private".  Try looking up pictures of cabins on the ship you will be on.  We had our daughter on a trip and there was no area to put her where she couldn't see us, it was ok at the time but when we got home we had problems.  Good Luck, I still miss those days...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

One thing about the table is that it is adjustable from coffee table height to eating height. Not sure what difference that would make in your situation, but thought I'd mention it.

I have been on several HAL cruises now and have never realized that the table height is adjustable. We often have dinner in our room, and have been bending over all this time! Thank you for this information.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The strong magnets and a lightweight dark drape is a workable idea, but there really is not much space that doesn't impede traffic to the balcony somewhat. Is he a sound sleeper? you could tiptoe around the crib and relax on the balcony. Just don't leave the door open because it will muck up not only your room's climate control but your whole sector.

Thank you.

We will have a white noise machine on but still don’t want him to see us...sometimes he will wake up really early but then will go back to sleep so some barrier is ideal. Plus, I know my husband may want to try to watch TV at night lol

And we can probably  sneak to the balcony...just need to put up something somehow to separate the space. It’s too bad that the only place that fits the crib is that sitting area in front of the veranda!

2 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

It’s too bad that the only place that fits the crib is that sitting area in front of the veranda!

Can you swing an upgrade to a Signature Suite? You'd get a 50% wider room, with space between the bed and the desk for the crib, not blocking access to the balcony.

oodm6055-image0.jpg

Edited by catl331

4 hours ago, catl331 said:

Can you swing an upgrade to a Signature Suite? You'd get a 50% wider room, with space between the bed and the desk for the crib, not blocking access to the balcony.

oodm6055-image0.jpg

Thanks. That would be nice...will have to look at pricing! We are traveling with a bunch of family members so had booked all on deck 5.

More concerned with a separator than using the balcony at night...Alaska cruise so might be too cold at night.🤔

• Like 1