Pros/Cons embarking in Miami

cravingthis

On 1/31/2020 at 10:23 PM, BlueHerons said:

Pros; It's a massive port and can handle the people and the cruise ships.  It's also a world class city with tons of art, culture, shopping, dining, sunshine, beaches, and attractions.

Cons; It's Miami.  It can be a $hitshow for sure.

You got that right.  Were in West Palm and I only go south for a cruise.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, Graciesmom2 said:

If you are flying, I would go with Lauderdale. Miami airport is a mess. Lauderdale much more civilized and organized. Flew into Miami several times and each time swore, never more. Pier is a short hop from Fll airport, 10 min with traffic. Travel from port Of Miami to Miami airport is nuts. IMHO. 

This could not be farther from the truth these days. FLL is a mess, over crowded, insane traffic, under construction, and has such little amenities for an airport that handles 36-million passengers a year its embarrassing. While MIA is modern, spacious and much more efficient. That being said I usually fly out of FLL more because I fly JetBlue. 

And the drive from MIA to Port Miami is very easy unless it is a weekday morning. 20-25 mins tops. 

To the OP: If you have been to Ft. Lauderdale then you have pretty much "been" to Miami as Ft. Lauderdale is pretty much a suburb of Miami. Unless it is rush hour Ft. Lauderdale is a 30-40 minute drive to Miami. Don't over-think this. 

So feel free to search MIA and FLL for flights, makes no difference. 

As for hotels. I would focus on Downtown Miami/Brickell or South Beach to get the best Miami experience possible. But honestly I would not look at ships leaving Ft. Lauderdale or Miami any different. Look at them as one of the same. If you find a cruise you like leaving Port Everglades then book it, you can still stay 2-3 days in Miami regardless. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are one of the same given the distance between the two cities. 

On 2/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, Flymia said:

This could not be farther from the truth these days. FLL is a mess, over crowded, insane traffic, under construction, and has such little amenities for an airport that handles 36-million passengers a year its embarrassing. While MIA is modern, spacious and much more efficient. That being said I usually fly out of FLL more because I fly JetBlue. 

This for sure.  

Fort Lauderdale is not fun to fly in and out of these days, Miami is so much more pleasant.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, Graciesmom2 said:

If you are flying, I would go with Lauderdale. Miami airport is a mess. Lauderdale much more civilized and organized. Flew into Miami several times and each time swore, never more. Pier is a short hop from Fll airport, 10 min with traffic. Travel from port Of Miami to Miami airport is nuts. IMHO. 

Thanks.  I was considering that.  We sailed out of FLL once and it was great, loved the area.  I've never experienced Miami airport, but was thinking the same thing as you.

4 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Thanks.  I was considering that.  We sailed out of FLL once and it was great, loved the area.  I've never experienced Miami airport, but was thinking the same thing as you.

FLL is a mess. Don't pick airports based on them, there is not a huge difference, though any local will tell you MIA is a much nicer airport.

Pick it based on air fare and schedule with the caveat travel from FLL to Miami and back adds a little bit of an extra cost.