Move from studio when price drops

chars

Yup, just pay the difference.  I’ve done it before for a slight upcharge (cabin was a little more plus gratuities for taking a dining perk too) after final payment. There are probably some restrictions but it’s completely possible if you call.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to change my booking. I was paid in full in a studio cabin and found a balcony that was only few dollars more than the fare I'd paid (even with booking the balcony as a solo).  I called the agent I originally booked with and asked him if it was possible. I told him which cabin I was looking at. After a 5 minute wait on hold, he came back telling me, yes, he could change it and I would receive additional perks for moving up in cabin category. This was a no-brainer for me. I switched to the balcony. Although I'm curious about the Studio and Studio Lounge concept, I'll maybe check them out on another cruise. I suppose it depends on how booked the cruise is and which agent you're working with but I'd say it's worth a shot to try - if that's what you want.

• Like 2

I have upgraded a few times in the past- as with anything sometimes it depends on whom you speak to- one person at NCL was too lazy so i just called back a few minutes later. The nice thing was when I did it 2 years ago I picked up a second promo

On 2/1/2020 at 11:11 AM, chars said:

So I know that on NCL you can't upgrade from a studio cabin.

I'm not familiar with NCL and this concept confuses me.... why are you not allowed to upgrade from a studio cabin?????  That just doesn't compute for me.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I'm not familiar with NCL and this concept confuses me.... why are you not allowed to upgrade from a studio cabin?????  That just doesn't compute for me.

Two different types of upgrades are in play here. 

• Paid upgrades, wherein you decide to go for a fancier cabin. If you’ve already paid in full, you can call and move to a more expensive cabin by paying the difference in price. If you haven’t, just call and rebook into what you want.
  • Upgrade Advantage is the program in which NCL offers an opportunity to bid on cabins up to two categories above your booked one. You’ll receive the offer shortly after the final payment date. No guarantee that you’ll win a bid, and you’ll have no choice in location.

Any cabin can be upgraded by paying, including Studios. However, Studio guests are not included in the “bid & cross your fingers” Upgrade Advantage offer. 

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

Any cabin can be upgraded by paying, including Studios. However, Studio guests are not included in the “bid & cross your fingers” Upgrade Advantage offer. 

Gotcha.... so Studios CAN upgrade the normal way, just not through the "make a wish" program.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, brillohead said:

Gotcha.... so Studios CAN upgrade the normal way, just not through the "make a wish" program.

Yes- correct- in the past I've found 7-10 days before sailing to be the sweet spot; depending on when and where the sailing is to. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 8:31 AM, KansasTexan said:

I was able to change my booking. I was paid in full in a studio cabin and found a balcony that was only few dollars more than the fare I'd paid (even with booking the balcony as a solo).  I called the agent I originally booked with and asked him if it was possible. I told him which cabin I was looking at. After a 5 minute wait on hold, he came back telling me, yes, he could change it and I would receive additional perks for moving up in cabin category. This was a no-brainer for me. I switched to the balcony. Although I'm curious about the Studio and Studio Lounge concept, I'll maybe check them out on another cruise. I suppose it depends on how booked the cruise is and which agent you're working with but I'd say it's worth a shot to try - if that's what you want.

On my solo cruise on Breakaway  the solos who were in other cabin types were invited to the social each day in the lounge. The door locks were “turned “ so the door did not fully close and you could come in. And you could join the arranged dinners or entertainment seating. 

• Like 1