Sitka cruise ship dock

RonPaula

We’ll be on the the Serenade of the Seas in late May and am wondering where the cruise ship dock is located in Sitka.  All I can find is the Old Sitka Dock which is a bit out of town.  Is there’s another dock that I am missing?

The Old Sitka dock is the one that I have docked at the last two times in Sitka - they will run a shuttle into town.

For years you had to tender into town because it is difficult to navigate all the little islets, reefs etc protecting the harbour but I do remember seeing a smaller HAL vessel tied up in town but I doubt the SOTS will fit in.

Is the Sitka port schedule for 2020 posted yet - it might show which one or does you trip manifest mention a place.

Cheers!

Dennis

I've been to Sitka both on business and also on cruise ships.  I also suspect that the Serenade of the Seas will dock north of town at the ship yard.  A ship has to be about the size of a fishing boat to dock at the town harbors.  

The times we have been there on cruises the shore excursions which involved small boats loaded at the dock so that folks just walked off the cruise ship and across the pier to the excursion boat.  A free shuttle is provided which takes folks to the Harrigan Center.  My memory is that it is about a 15 minutes ride.  Not only is there tourist information at the Harrigan Center, a number of companies will be set up with tours and shuttles out to the Fortress of the Bear and so forth.  The Harrigan Center is essentially "katty corner" from the Bishop's House and an easy walk to Sitka Historical Park (AKA totem pole park).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The two times we've been to Sitka were at the Old Sitka Dock.  The bus transportation is really nice--you also get a narration about the town during the ride.  Used the shuttle both ways--very easy, clean and free.

There are a couple of stores/ coffee places at the dock.  I actually bought a shirt at one of the stands.  The selection is pretty good.

Sitka has 2 docking possibilities and one tendering possibility.

The Old Sitka Dock is a 20 minute bus ride from town and handles the larger ships.

There is a small dock right in town, but only very small ships can go there.

Tendering actually is the best option. Most of the ships anchor very close to the marina. The tender ride is all of 5 minutes in a very calm harbor. When you exit the tender, you are right downtown.