No $32000 refund for you

tallnthensome

47 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Thanks for the legal explanation, again. She took the reasonable, prudent, and practical steps that were necessary to insure the safety of her and her family. 

It seems she declined ALL travel insurance.  She says she was not offered cancel  for any reason insurance (if not, that would be on her travel agent), but in any case she did not buy any other insurance when she booked this expensive trip, putting all that money at risk.  If she would not buy standard travel insurance, it is hard to imagine she’d have bought a premium product if offered!

Should she have bought travel insurance?  Well, clearly from her behavior she does not want to lose the $ due to a cancellation, so, yes, she should have bought insurance.  Further, she states that one family member has chronic lung disease and another is elderly; those are always risk factors for cancellation, so, yes, she should have bought insurance.

By failing to insure her trip, this loss is on her.  She did NOT take a reasonable and prudent step to prevent a loss.  Had she asked for NCL’s travel protection, she might have 75 or 90% recovery.  If her travel agent advised her poorly (as she implies), perhaps the travel agency should rebate their commission back to her as a good faith gesture.  She still does not seem to feel she should have bought insurance; somehow companies should insure her losses for free though others pay premiums for coverage.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Should she have bought travel insurance?  Well, clearly from her behavior she does not want to lose the $ due to a cancellation, so, yes, she should have bought insurance.  Further, she states that one family member has chronic lung disease and another is elderly; those are always risk factors for cancellation, so, yes, she should have bought insurance.

Thanks for the legal explanation. My understanding is that she did purchase insurance,just the wrong kind. This was quoted by Jose Camo of NCL in the USA Today article. On another matter thank goodness the rest of the travel industry isn't enforcing your extreme point of view.

Norwegian spokesman Jose Cano told USA TODAY that the travel insurance policy Morrison and her family purchased only covered medical emergencies, not cancellations for any reason. 

Edited by blcruising

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

Thanks for the legal explanation. My understanding is that she did purchase insurance,just the wrong kind. This was quoted by Jose Camo of NCL in the USA Today article. On another matter thank goodness the rest of the travel industry isn't enforcing your extreme point of view.

Norwegian spokesman Jose Cano told USA TODAY that the travel insurance policy Morrison and her family purchased only covered medical emergencies, not cancellations for any reason. 

Her quote below implies she did not insure cruise, airline or hotel portions of this trip (travel agency name removed per CC guidelines).  

“We booked our reservations through C——Travel and were at no time offered the expensive “CANCEL FOR ANY REASON” insurance.

“I didn’t purchase protection insurance on my airlines or hotel accommodations either...”

From that quote, it seems to me that she is traveling without cancellation insurance, even with frail, chronically ill, elderly people in her party.  I suppose if there had been a serious illness or death in family right before the trip, she’d be crying for a refund or credit, just as she is now...how could a business be so callous, etc...just my guess.  Had she insured her trip well (cancel any reason), she’d be in better shape.  Had she insured her trip even (decent cancellation insurance), she’d have my sympathy with the viral outbreak.  OTOH, if she chose to assume all cancellation risk herself by going uninsured, well, she needs to stop whining for a refund.  

(I carry annual medical travel insurance.  I rarely buy cancellation insurance; I assume that risk myself.  If I have to cancel a trip someday when I have not purchased cancellation insurance, it will be my loss; I shall not whine.  I have saved plenty in insurance premiums over years of travel by forgoing cancellation insurance, so it will balance out a normal trip.  Even I would certainly fully insure a $32000 trip with chronically ill and elderly people)

As to your NCL spokesman’s quote, I wonder if she bought NCL’s inexpensive medical plan (that cheap plan one can add-on until the last minute that does not cover cancellations at all).  Just a guess.

Here’s the article containing the above quote:

https://www.eturbonews.com/542190/coronavirus-victim-in-hawaii-fights-norwegian-cruise-line/

I do not think my views are extreme:  Buy insurance if you want your money back if you must cancel.  Read the policies carefully and buy carefully.  Nothing extreme.

Edited by Starry Eyes

9 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I do not think my views are extreme:  Buy insurance if you want your money back if you must cancel.  Read the policies carefully and buy carefully.  Nothing extreme.

I agree.  While I feel for any cruiser concerned about, and especially impacted by, the Coronavrius, it doesn't negate that a little research into trip insurance options would have solved most problems. 

An exception to a policy may seem like the kind thing to do, but it can adversely impact other cruisers who carefully managed their travel risk.  After all, the looser a cruise line is with refunds and credits, the more it needs to charge.  That becomes a burden to all travelers, including responsible ones that took steps to protect themselves.

I know that some policies have specific exclusions which make dealing with cancellations, denied boarding, etc., difficult, so there are people out there who are stuck in tough spots despite believing they had suitable insurance in place.  That isn't a situation I believe the cruise line should try to rectify, but I'll admit to having a lot more sympathy for these people than those who failed to procure any insurance or chose to cancel their trips.

Edited by AL3XCruise
  • Like 1