Which part of Miami to spend the afternoon/evening?

Kesali

A friend and I are going on a cruise in August out of Miami.  It's her first cruise and only my second.  Neither of us have been in Miami before.  We are flying down the day before our cruise, hoping to check-in to a hotel and explore.  I've been doing a lot of reading here and on TripAdvisor trying to figure out which hotel to book and what activities we can do that afternoon and event.  I was thinking it would be better/easier to stay near the cruise port.

Would you recommend we stay downtown Miami, Brickell area, or south to mid Miami Beach?  We won't be renting a car.  Most likely taking Uber.

Edited by Kesali

Lots of dining & shopping options in the Brickell area - it's the new "hot" area in downtown.

South Beach is the "Miami" you usually see in the movies and TV shows - you can visit it easily form downtown if you choose not to stay there.

Coconut Grove is a fun area of Miami, farther away from the port.

You can grab a hop-on/off bus tour which is a good way to see it all, and step off if you see something you want to explore.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd stay in the Brickell area at the Hampton Inn.  Convenient to a lot of restaurants and sightseeing.  You can take the trolley to Coconut Grove.  I worked in downtown Miami for 13 years so that's what I would do.  I wouldn't bother with Miami Beach unless you want to lay out on the beach itself.  Too overrated and too many cars and people.

• Like 1

If you just have an afternoon/evening, then South Beach is the easy answer.  Downtown/Brickell has restaurants and what not, but it's not exactly a sightseeing/one day experience destination.  South Beach is THE Miami you would want to visit, walk around, Lincoln Road, SoFi, Ocean Drive, etc.

• Like 2