MSC vs Costa ?

fishin' musician

For anyone who has sailed both lines:

Our first cruise about 15 years ago was on the Costa Mediterranea, at this time they home-ported two ships in Ft. Lauderdale (rotating eastern and western Caribbean itineraries November through April). The experience was very positive and we're now up to about 35 cruises including all US based mass-market lines and 3 Windstar.  Just wondering how the MSC experience compares to that of our two Costa cruises (other was Costa Magica, also Caribbean)?

Thanks for any insight!

One of our first cruises was on Costa Magica and whilst we enjoyed it there were a number of factors we didn't; lack of sun bed availability, disorganized and lots of queues.  We were recommended MSC and the following year sailed on MSC Divina. We've sailed with then since. 

Some of the issues with Costa may have been exacerbated by it being a summer sailing though. 

If you Google "cruising isn't just for old people" a lady called Emma had a blig and one is a comparison between the 2 companies.

Thank you all, I appreciate the commentary.  As for the the Yacht Club, I don't think I'm the Ivory Tower type.  The Windstar cruises we've taken have all been on the formerly Seaborne power yachts (212 pax/150 crew), and while I wouldn't call it luxury, it is all suites and the food and service have been ridiculously good.  And due to the size of the vessels they call on many tiny ports that are off the beaten path.

18 minutes ago, fishin' musician said:

Thank you all, I appreciate the commentary.  As for the the Yacht Club, I don't think I'm the Ivory Tower type.  The Windstar cruises we've taken have all been on the formerly Seaborne power yachts (212 pax/150 crew), and while I wouldn't call it luxury, it is all suites and the food and service have been ridiculously good.  And due to the size of the vessels they call on many tiny ports that are off the beaten path.

Umm, if you're used to and want or expect the same quality of food, service, luxury, etc as Windstar,   MSC and Costa should definitely NOT be on your radar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Umm, if you're used to and want or expect the same quality of food, service, luxury, etc as Windstar,   MSC and Costa should definitely NOT be on your radar.

I'm pretty easy to please, and pretty cheap according my DW!  About 90% of my cruises have been mainstream, including 2 Costa (see first post).  MSC has become another vacation option and I wanted to solicit some comments from those that have sailed both Costa and MSC.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:02 PM, fishin' musician said:

For anyone who has sailed both lines:

Our first cruise about 15 years ago was on the Costa Mediterranea ... Just wondering how the MSC experience compares to that of our two Costa cruises (other was Costa Magica, also Caribbean)?

Well, nobody would believe now, but at this time Costa was the bigger name compared to MSC. Now they are almost irrelevant while MSC is trying to hunt down the Big Americans. It is a matter of ownership. 

So nowadays Costa has nothing to offer in terms of matching Seaview or Meraviglia or Grandiosa. But if you are considering Armonia class, definitely can consider Costa also. Costa prices may look slighty higher, but as a result of some interesting lawsuits MSC vs Costa and Costa vs MSC usually no tips, no daily service charge.