Aft Neptune Suite location

molemaui

I booked a Neptune Suite guarantee and just received my assignment today. It is in one of the corners AFT. I've always sailed mid ship or close to mid ship. 

Has anyone had a Neptune Suite (Nieuw Amsterdam but I assume they would be similar on all HAL ships) in one of the rear corners? Except for a somewhat inconvenient location, what did you like or dislike about it? 

Regardless, all is good!

We have had aft corner Neptune Suites on the Zuiderdam and Eurodam.  We like the wrap around balcony.  They are a long way from the Neptune Lounge and the cabins are a bit smaller.  However, the great balcony makes up for location and cabin size.  Also it is easy to get to the MDR and Lido.

We only sail in the aft wraps.  We have been on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and NA.  Level 5 in the Vista class ships is best.  Love them!  It is further away from the Neptune Lounge, but still not enough to be inconvenient.  Enjoy your cruise!

Lucky you!  We love the aft wraps and book when they are available and at our price point. 

The cabin is smaller but the balcony more than makes up for that space. The views are gorgeous- the sunsets are magnificent.  You ‘see’ more from your wrap balcony.  (We especially enjoy in warm cruising. ) 

It is a hike to the Neptune Lounge, The Show areas, etc but we like to walk.  Very convenient to dining room and Lido. . .

Sometimes,  we have noticed the difference in not having ‘Neptune’ stewards - not bad but not the same.  You have to ask for things instead of them just being provided.  

We also found ourselves using the ‘front desk ‘ instead of the Neptune Concierge (and got a bit reprimanded for it once😆)  just because sometimes it was more convenient than going all the way to the lounge. 

We find the movement different - not bad but more and it doesn’t bother us.    Certainly the smoothest ride is going to be midship.  

Hope this, along with other comments will help.  Enjoy the experience! 

We were in an aft wrap Neptune on Koningsdam in December 2019 and I hated it. I'll never book one again.

It was way too noisy - lots of creaking and thuds from the water hitting the hull. Also, you felt every pitch and roll movement the ship did. The seas didn't seem terribly rough but they felt it from that high, aft location.

On the plus side you have a nice large balcony but it is very windy and on the side portion people from the aft deck 9 can look down into your space.

It's also far from the Neptune Lounge which was inconvenient. From now on all future suite bookings on any ship will be mid.

Edited by SumoCitrus

3 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

We were in an aft wrap Neptune on Koningsdam in December 2019 and I hated it. I'll never book one again.

It was way too noisy - lots of creaking and thuds from the water hitting the hull. Also, you felt every pitch and roll movement the ship did. The seas didn't seem terribly rough but they felt it from that high, aft location.

On the plus side you have a nice large balcony but it is very windy and on the side portion people from the aft deck 9 can look down into your space.

It's also far from the Neptune Lounge which was inconvenient. From now on all future suite bookings on any ship will be mid.

I had asked about the privacy of the balcony...we are SB 8186 on Statendam coming up - will we have issues with privacy? 

43 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I should add that in my opinion, on Pinnacle ships at least, the aft wrap Neptunes aren't true Neptunes but rather desirable vista suites HAL has chosen to market as Neptunes.

My understanding is the Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature Class ship-does that make a difference in your mind. Is my Neptune a true Neptune?

I have sailed in both corners of the Deck 5 aft Neptune Suites and loved them.  The large wrap-around balconies can hold 25 of your friends, allow you to eat dinner on your balcony while the ship is moving, provide much better photo ops without leaving your balcony than those staterooms on the side of the ship, much less foot traffic, warmer Room Service food with the kitchen just below, the sound of the wake is soothing to sleep, and a quick elevator ride to both the Lido Market and MDR.

Here is a link to 5186 photos:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-cabinsstaterooms/nggallery/page/3

4 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

I agree that the K is an uncomfortable ride at the back. But OP is not on a Pinnacle class ship. 

1 hour ago, SumoCitrus said:

I should add that in my opinion, on Pinnacle ships at least, the aft wrap Neptunes aren't true Neptunes but rather desirable vista suites HAL has chosen to market as Neptunes.

That's an exaggeration. The aft wraps are smaller than the Neptune's along the side, but they are not that small. I've been in three different aft wraps on the Vista ships (decks 5, 7, 😎 and they're plenty big inside and the balcony is wonderful. And the ride is way better than on the K, even in rough seas. The aft wrap we had on the K (deck 7) seemed smaller than the ones on the Vista ships, but even so it wasn't a mislabeled Vista suite. I haven't been on NA, so I don't know how those aft wraps compare for size. 

Aft wrap on the NA, deck 6 - hated it, DH got very seasick when it was a bit choppy (me, not so much).  Can't use the majority of the balcony at sea, due to wind.  Long walk to everything except MDR.   Smaller than the other Neptune suites, it is an SC, and nowhere near as much closet space, nor electrical outlets, but maybe that has since changed it there has been a dry dock.
Others love them, I would not book one again.  Much prefer midship Neptunes or Signature suites.

5 hours ago, livetheatre said:

I had asked about the privacy of the balcony...we are SB 8186 on Statendam coming up - will we have issues with privacy? 

We were in 8195 on the K-Dam which was the other side of the ship. The ships are of the same design so I can only assume you'll have people staring down onto your balcony. Keep the shades closed.

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have sailed in both corners of the Deck 5 aft Neptune Suites and loved them.  The large wrap-around balconies can hold 25 of your friends, allow you to eat dinner on your balcony while the ship is moving, provide much better photo ops without leaving your balcony than those staterooms on the side of the ship, much less foot traffic, warmer Room Service food with the kitchen just below, the sound of the wake is soothing to sleep, and a quick elevator ride to both the Lido Market and MDR.

Thank you for the photo links. I can see the cabin doesn't seem as deep given the distance from the bed to the chairs. On out last cruise, there was 5-7 feet between the bed and the chairs opposite the sofa. In any event, aft sailing will be a first for us and hope we like it!

It has been mentioned the cabin attendants on the "non suite decks" may not be as familiar with Neptune benefits such as laundry. Did you notice any differences in your amenities or services one would expect at the suite level?  

I have noticed a bit more attention from the Room Stewards with remote Neptune Suites to give more attention than those servicing staterooms near the Neptune Lounge.  The Room Stewards have no control over laundry.  If you hang it on your door handle before 9:00 AM, it will be returned the same day.

The only issue could be you not receiving the Neptune Suite Room Service Breakfast Card.  If the Mimosa appears "free", then you have the correct card.  Ask your Room Steward for a few extra "correct" cards. 

If you are not happy with the little ice bucket, ask your Room Steward for a "champagne" ice bucket.  If they wrap the bucket in a towel and put a plate on the top, the ice will last a lot longer.

Don't forget to order your daily appetizers from the Neptune Lounge.  FWIW my favorite chicken wings are not on the appetizer menu BUT they will make them for you.  I eat half of them around 3:15 PM and same the other three in my minibar for a cold chicken snack near bedtime.

Enjoy your aft wrap....I know I do.