Meet & Greet Location

marylovestotravel

I'm in the process of setting up a M&G for our upcoming cruise. I've always set it up for Horizons, but I noticed that for our "sister" cruise, it is being held at the Sanctuary. Our group is fairly large and I was wondering if this would be a better location. It would be nice to find someplace that would encourage people to mingle. If I can get feedback - pros and cons about your previous experiences.

Thanks for your help,

Mia

For my two Sanctuary meets -- my groups were 30-35 people -- I found that the Sanctuary worked much better for mingling than Horizons.  But if your group is more than 50 people, I think it might be too small.  Drink service was excellent even though we weren't near a bar.  When we met in Horizons people tended to find a seat and stay there ...

55 minutes ago, Mura said:

For my two Sanctuary meets -- my groups were 30-35 people -- I found that the Sanctuary worked much better for mingling than Horizons.  But if your group is more than 50 people, I think it might be too small.  Drink service was excellent even though we weren't near a bar.  When we met in Horizons people tended to find a seat and stay there ...

Thanks Mura, I do find that in Horizons, people tend to not move around as much, but it seems we will be having a larger group. 

Mia

If you hold an M&G in the Sanctuary, the majority of folks will have no idea where it is or will show up at Horizon's out of habit.

IMO, Sanctuary is a terrible location with those space hogging loungers, non-climate controlled environment and less-than-ideal bar access.

Most importantly, Horizon's (starboard side adjacent to the bar) after Muster drill has become the default location/time for Oceania M&Gs. So, "why fix what ain't broke?"

In our case, we wanted Horizons for both legs of our May 2018 cruise BUT there were large alumni groups on board for both legs and THEY got Horizons.  Oceania didn't give us a choice.  The thing is:  I was rather pleased that for moderate numbers of people I thought that the Sanctuary actually worked for our groups.  (And no one got lost looking for it either.)

I did happen to go through Horizons on the second evening -- indeed looking for strays but they were already at the Sanctuary.  Anyway, while we were told that we couldn't use Horizons because of the large alumni groups, to my eyes there was plenty of room for our group.  That may be because both of our M&Gs were held right after the boat drill on boarding day and so Horizons was not crowded at all.

Sanctuary is Deck 14 portside just forward of the Sun Deck -- behind Canyon Ranch.

It's a relatively small area (not teensy weensy) and rather than table and chairs (at least when we were there), there were several lounge chairs.  Which is why people in our M&G were forced to stand and talk to each other!

As I said before, we were 30-35 people.  We "fit in" just fine, but groups 50 or more -- I don't think it would work for you.

We had no problem ordering drinks although they were imported from another bar.

As I said at the outset, I did think that this location facilitated people really circulating and talking to each other ... which in my experience did NOT happen in Horizons.  OTOH, when I had set up M&Gs for 100 or more people ... Horizons was the only possibility.