Food allergy

onmyway10

11 hours ago, onmyway10 said:

Can river cruise companies manage a dairy food allergy?  Looking at Viking.

From experience, Viking is very good at managing allergies. 

For most cruise lines, let them know before you go and then confirm it again with the maitre-d when you board.

I called Viking a couple of years ago to ask if they could accommodate my food allergies (dairy, gluten, shellfish).  They said no and hung up on me.

Uniworld was happy to accommodate me, as was Crystal. We ended up going on Crystal and loved it.

I suggest calling the cruise line and ask BEFORE you make a reservation. 

3 hours ago, cruisewmn said:

I called Viking a couple of years ago to ask if they could accommodate my food allergies (dairy, gluten, shellfish).  They said no and hung up on me.

Uniworld was happy to accommodate me, as was Crystal. We ended up going on Crystal and loved it.

I suggest calling the cruise line and ask BEFORE you make a reservation. 

I'm surprised to read this about Viking, although your diet is more restricted than mine. I have been on three Viking river cruises, the first in 2011, and they have always graciously and competently accommodated my required gluten-free diet.

1 hour ago, SfromATX said:

I'm surprised to read this about Viking, although your diet is more restricted than mine. I have been on three Viking river cruises, the first in 2011, and they have always graciously and competently accommodated my required gluten-free diet.

I wish I were surprised, but I am not.

Edited by Peregrina651

Vantage was very good in handling my husbands food allergies. After we made our reservations we filled out a questionnaire asking about food allergies. When we checked in for our cruise he was given a colored ticket that he put out at meals to alert the waitstaff that he had a food allergy. They were very good in making sure that he wasn’t served those foods.