Helsinki Port of Call

tysmomm

Hello.

My family of four will be in Helsinki in June as part of our Princess cruise.  I am thinking we might just tour this city on our own.  I realize I will need to take the ship's shuttle service into the town center, but I am wondering, once we are there, will we be able to maneuver through all the main sites on our own?  How about getting to Suomenlinna- Sea Fortress?  Finally, is it fairly easy to get ourselves to Porvoo?  

I am torn on this port of call because the actual Helsinki sites seem easy to access from town center, but not sure how to get to Porvoo, which looks pretty cool too.  I guess I am just looking for suggestions and recommendations if Helsinki is doable on our own.  Thanks in advance!

Roaming around Helsinki on your own should be quite easy and actually I think it should be possible to even to skip the cruise line's shuttle from the port as you could also use public transportation or perhaps even walk.

Now, if you would like to Porvoo, that could be possible also on your own: there are quite frequent bus traffic between Helsinki and Porvoo. The long distance busses leave in central Helsinki at Kamppi bus terminal and you could get there quite easily from Hernesaari (where cruise ships dock) using the bus line 14. However, since the bus ride from Helsinki to Porvoo (and vice versa) takes 50 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on the route as some busses take the smaller roads rather than the express way and have more frequent stops along the route, I would say that a side trip to Porvoo will eat at least about half of the time your cruise is staying in Helsinki. Also worth a mention that Porvoo is outside of the Helsinki Region Public Transport system thus you will need a separate ticket for journeys to/from Porvoo as you cannot use the same tickets that are valid for local busses, trams, Suomenlinna ferry, local and metro trains in Helsinki (and surrounding cities). You can look up the long distance bus timetables (and buy tickets for some of the routes)  on Matkahuolto, although the timetables for June are not there yet.

Getting to Suomenlinna is probably bit easier task, you first make your way to Market Square either using the cruise line's shuttle, public transport or perhaps even by walking (HSL Journey Planner suggests it would be about 47 minute hike), then head to Suomenlinna ferry, possibly wait a while (I think the interval is around 15-20 minutes in summertime), hop on the ferry and the ride takes about 15 minutes and then you are in Suomenlinna. I would plan maybe minimum of two hours there, that journey planner suggests the most direct walking route from the ferry to the southern tip of Kustaanmiekka alone takes 26 minutes. So, if you are interested in both Porvoo and Suomenlinna I would say it is not wise to try squeeze both in the time you have in Helsinki, especially if you want to see few things also in mainland Helsinki.

Helsinki is very doable on your own. Good transit and even city WiFi to help you not get lost.

Other places you might be interested in are Seurasaari Folk Museum (although we visited with a tour and our guide really made it special) or Nuuksio National Park, if you like wilderness. (The Haltia Nature Centre is there, but we just hiked, picked berries, and fed lichen to the reindeer. Again, we visited with a tour guide.)

Thanks everyone!  This is great information.  Based upon what you all have shared, I think I better settle my sights on the Sea Fortress and a day in the city center.  We are only in port from 7-4.  As long as there is plenty to do and see in the city center, which I can already tell there is, taking a ferry over to the Sea Fortress should be plenty.  We will save Porvoo for our next trip.  🙂  Hopefully with a 17 and 19 year old, there will be some fun food and shopping for them to mix up their day as well.  I will price out the admissions for the things we want to see and determine if the Helsinki Travel Card is cost effective for us or not.  Thanks again for the wonderful info! 

In case it helps, we took a cruise around the harbour last summer which gives you a distant view of Suomenlinna. 

And there's this from many years ago which shows what's at the fortress.

From memory I spent about 90 minutes walking round. t's a very nice city. I'm sure you will find plenty to enjoy. 

All the best, Tony

Hi everyone.  Thanks to everyone's feedback we have narrowed our list of attractions and activities to the following and I am wondering if it is actually doable.  I don't have comprehension of the distance and/or time between the attractions, and definitely how much time it will take us to get back to the ship.  Help?!?

8-12:30   Private kayaking tour.  They will pick us up at port and drop us off in the city center at 12:30.  We are booking with Natura Viva.

12:30-Catch a ferry to Suomenlinna.  Stay there until about 2:00???

2:00ish-Be back in the city center and take a peak at a few of the popular sites: Temppeliaukio (Rock Church), Senate Square & Lutheran Cathedral, Uspenski Cathedral, Market Square, Market Hall, etc.  Whatever time we have left....

Here are my questions:

1.  How much time do I need to leave to get back to the ship by 3:30 at the latest? 

2.  Is this a reasonable agenda for four athletic people who are quick moving and don't need to spend a lot of time inside and out of structures?  I do want to pick up a few souvenirs and we need to grab a quick bite sometime during the day. If this is too aggressive of a schedule, I may need to consider cutting the kayaking out or the Suomenlinna trip.   I don't have a good understanding of the distance or time it will take to cover the things I have listed that I want to do and see in the city center, so I'm uncertain if this is too much.

3.  Although I realize no one can predict why a cruise ship would choose to skip a port, I am wondering if anyone local can tell me if ships not coming to port due to rough weather is something that happens sometimes.  The company won't refund our money if the ship chooses to skip port for some reason. I think I am willing to risk the cancellation unless someone says there is a probability of bad weather keeping us from coming to port.  I realize every port is different and no one can tell me that for sure, but any insight would be helpful.

thanks in advance

21 hours ago, tysmomm said:

Hi everyone.  Thanks to everyone's feedback we have narrowed our list of attractions and activities to the following and I am wondering if it is actually doable.  I don't have comprehension of the distance and/or time between the attractions, and definitely how much time it will take us to get back to the ship.  Help?!?

8-12:30   Private kayaking tour.  They will pick us up at port and drop us off in the city center at 12:30.  We are booking with Natura Viva.

12:30-Catch a ferry to Suomenlinna.  Stay there until about 2:00???

2:00ish-Be back in the city center and take a peak at a few of the popular sites: Temppeliaukio (Rock Church), Senate Square & Lutheran Cathedral, Uspenski Cathedral, Market Square, Market Hall, etc.  Whatever time we have left....

Here are my questions:

1.  How much time do I need to leave to get back to the ship by 3:30 at the latest? 

2.  Is this a reasonable agenda for four athletic people who are quick moving and don't need to spend a lot of time inside and out of structures?  I do want to pick up a few souvenirs and we need to grab a quick bite sometime during the day. If this is too aggressive of a schedule, I may need to consider cutting the kayaking out or the Suomenlinna trip.   I don't have a good understanding of the distance or time it will take to cover the things I have listed that I want to do and see in the city center, so I'm uncertain if this is too much.

3.  Although I realize no one can predict why a cruise ship would choose to skip a port, I am wondering if anyone local can tell me if ships not coming to port due to rough weather is something that happens sometimes.  The company won't refund our money if the ship chooses to skip port for some reason. I think I am willing to risk the cancellation unless someone says there is a probability of bad weather keeping us from coming to port.  I realize every port is different and no one can tell me that for sure, but any insight would be helpful.

thanks in advance

If you're planning on starting the city center part of the day around 2:00pm and need to be back to the ship at 3:30, I would probably remove the Rock Church from your list.  The rest of the items you list are in close proximity and can easily fill the 90 minutes you will have.  Getting to the church and back probably just won't fit, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

If you're planning on starting the city center part of the day around 2:00pm and need to be back to the ship at 3:30, I would probably remove the Rock Church from your list.  The rest of the items you list are in close proximity and can easily fill the 90 minutes you will have.  Getting to the church and back probably just won't fit, in my opinion.

Thank you for this information.  I did a bit more research on the Rock Church and I see your point.  Darn, I wish we had a few more hours!  I can't quite do everything I want to do.  lol

How far is the cruise port from the city center and will it be easy for my family to figure out how to get transportation back to the ship?  The kayak company is picking us up from the port in the a.m. but they are dropping us off in the city center.  I have to figure out how to get back to the ship at the end of the day.  I am assuming there is easy transportation nearby for that?  Thanks in advance.  

1 hour ago, tysmomm said:

Thank you for this information.  I did a bit more research on the Rock Church and I see your point.  Darn, I wish we had a few more hours!  I can't quite do everything I want to do.  lol

How far is the cruise port from the city center and will it be easy for my family to figure out how to get transportation back to the ship?  The kayak company is picking us up from the port in the a.m. but they are dropping us off in the city center.  I have to figure out how to get back to the ship at the end of the day.  I am assuming there is easy transportation nearby for that?  Thanks in advance.  

One thing you seem to have missed in your schedule is time waiting for the ferry and crossing in the ferry back to the centre. You have yourselves finishing up in Suomenlinna about 2 and being back in the city centre about 2ish. I’ve never been to Helsinki, but I think you are missing some transit time here. 

Let me add couple points: first, that schedule is quite ambitious, but might be possible with few adjustments and there are few caveats:

1. Natura Viva's base is in Vuosaari in Eastern Helsinki. Assuming they are not arranging your kayaking from some other location closer to the city centre, you should take that in account when planning. Pickup from the port is apparently included, but what about journey back to the city centre?  Ok, there the public transportation option is slightly easier once you get to the nearest metro station (Rastila) as you can ride the metro to University of Helsinki metro station (about 17 minutes) and walk to Market Square in 15 minutes or so. And you could take a look at the Senate Square with the Cathedral enroute. But then Natura Viva's base in Meri-Rastila is some distance away from Rastila metro station and walk would take about 20 mins and catching a bus from the nearest bus stop about halves the time, but still has a half kilometre walk. Of course, if Natura Viva can provide you transportation to at least to the metro station or possibly even to city centre, that would be help.

2. The linked Suomenlinna ferry timetable indicates that you cannot hop on the ferry at 12:30 since the closest departures are 12:20 and 13:00, so at least you have to slightly retime your plans for Suomenlinna.

3. I think it would be wise to plan in advance when and roughly where you intend to have some lunch (or something lighter) and do some shopping if you wish to do that.

June weather hereabouts is rarely so stormy that ships couldn't reach the harbour, although if you are unlucky to have wet, windy or/and cool weather that might make kayaking less pleasant activity and walking around a sea fortress with some large open spaces might be less enjoyable experience too.

20 hours ago, tysmomm said:

June 2020 Princess docks at LHC or LHD both are at Hernesaari. Bus # 14 serves Hernesaari. From Market Square it would be a 10-15 minute walk to the "Bulevardi" stop for bus 14 and then another 10-15 minute ride to the port. The bus & tram sell all day passes which includes the cost of the public ferry to Suomenlinna. Cost was 8 Euro in 2019. Do not know if it is sold at the ferry terminal.

Vendors were set up at Market Square the day I visited. Food, merchandise and actual hand made crafts for sale. You could browse this area as it is adjacent to the ferry. I would go from Market Square to Senate Square to Esplanadi and then an under 10 minute walk to the Bulevardi bus stop if you take public transit to the pier.

Helsinki has very good public transit and an outstanding trip planner..

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes

Edited by meadowlander

On 2/5/2020 at 8:24 AM, trosebery said:

Helsinki is very doable on your own. Good transit and even city WiFi to help you not get lost.

Other places you might be interested in are Seurasaari Folk Museum (although we visited with a tour and our guide really made it special) or Nuuksio National Park, if you like wilderness. (The Haltia Nature Centre is there, but we just hiked, picked berries, and fed lichen to the reindeer. Again, we visited with a tour guide.)

Hi @trosebery sorry to hijack OP thread....we will be here in May on the NCL Escape and are interested in Nuuksio National Park, hopefully on our own. Any tips or advice on how to do that?

1 hour ago, Bowmanvilletravel said:

Hi @trosebery sorry to hijack OP thread....we will be here in May on the NCL Escape and are interested in Nuuksio National Park, hopefully on our own. Any tips or advice on how to do that?

We set up a private tour with Feel the Nature: 

https://feelthenature.fi/en/category/trips-to-nuuksio-national-park/summer-and-autumn-in-nuuksio-national-park/

which could be expensive per person if you're just two people? (Unless you can find others on your Roll Call.)

They picked us up right from the port.

There are other companies like Natura Viva that do shared excursions to Nuuksio. You may be able to find more if you Google.

5 hours ago, meadowlander said:

June 2020 Princess docks at LHC or LHD both are at Hernesaari. Bus # 14 serves Hernesaari. From Market Square it would be a 10-15 minute walk to the "Bulevardi" stop for bus 14 and then another 10-15 minute ride to the port. The bus & tram sell all day passes which includes the cost of the public ferry to Suomenlinna. Cost was 8 Euro in 2019. Do not know if it is sold at the ferry terminal.

Vendors were set up at Market Square the day I visited. Food, merchandise and actual hand made crafts for sale. You could browse this area as it is adjacent to the ferry. I would go from Market Square to Senate Square to Esplanadi and then an under 10 minute walk to the Bulevardi bus stop if you take public transit to the pier.

Helsinki has very good public transit and an outstanding trip planner..

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes

This information was very helpful.  Thanks so much.  I already researched the timetables and farew and it looks like it will still be 8 Euro this season too.  🙂  The kayak company is dropping us off in the city center at the end of our tour, so I just needed to figure out how to get back to the port and this was the perfect information.  Thank you for the suggestions on what to see in what order.  I have added that to my notes as well.  Thanks again!

18 hours ago, tysmomm said:

This information was very helpful.  Thanks so much.  I already researched the timetables and farew and it looks like it will still be 8 Euro this season too.  🙂  The kayak company is dropping us off in the city center at the end of our tour, so I just needed to figure out how to get back to the port and this was the perfect information.  Thank you for the suggestions on what to see in what order.  I have added that to my notes as well.  Thanks again!

You are welcome. If you are committed to the kayak excursion, while you will have time in the afternoon to visit what you listed, I do wonder if you enjoy the limited time you do have to see the sights being that you will have to rush and be aware of the time constraints.

Where exactly will the tour company leave you in Helsinki? If you are left at Market Square, then you are at the ferry pier. Finding the ticket booth, purchasing tickets and boarding the ferry within 10 minutes, assuming you are at Market Square at 12:30, is doable but tight. There is a public ferry and during the summer a private one. Hopefully you can board a few quickly after exiting the tour company vehicle. If they do not leave you at Market Square, I do not think you will have enough time to make a 12:40 ferry, but I think in the summer the ferry runs more frequently-perhaps a local can advise.

12:30 drop-off leaves you until 3:00pm  to explore Helsinki. Ferry transit is 30 minutes, so now you have 2 hours of sightseeing time and that is assuming you time the ferry schedule perfectly. You will be rushing through the fortress. When you are back at Market Square it will be 2:15 at the earliest. The day we visited(early May 2019) there were vendors at Market Square, you could get food there and browse the tents for merchandise but you will have little time.

You did say you wanted to get food and perhaps shop.

It is a short walk to Senate Square and another short walk to the Esplanadi. The day I was there a model runway show was held. It was nice to sit in the park, full of locals, eat and take in the show and atmosphere. Your schedule wont allow time to enjoy the park, see it yes, experience it...no. There are stores and restaurants in the immediate area that your family could shop/eat at but not with your itinerary set as present.

It is a short walk from the park to the bus stop but you would leave the park no later than 3pm(likely earlier) based on the bus schedule and the time needed to walk to the bus stop. You can buy single tickets. I only mentioned the day pass because it includes the public ferry as well as trams and busses. If you had more time to sightsee, the day pass would be better as it cover all your Helsinki transit needs. 

I do think you can see what you have presented. I do have concerns how enjoyable the experience will be in the limited afternoon hours that your family has. Our port call was 7am-2pm, not enough time but I did enjoy Helsinki.

21 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

You are welcome. If you are committed to the kayak excursion, while you will have time in the afternoon to visit what you listed, I do wonder if you enjoy the limited time you do have to see the sights being that you will have to rush and be aware of the time constraints.

Where exactly will the tour company leave you in Helsinki? If you are left at Market Square, then you are at the ferry pier. Finding the ticket booth, purchasing tickets and boarding the ferry within 10 minutes, assuming you are at Market Square at 12:30, is doable but tight. There is a public ferry and during the summer a private one. Hopefully you can board a few quickly after exiting the tour company vehicle. If they do not leave you at Market Square, I do not think you will have enough time to make a 12:40 ferry, but I think in the summer the ferry runs more frequently-perhaps a local can advise.

12:30 drop-off leaves you until 3:00pm  to explore Helsinki. Ferry transit is 30 minutes, so now you have 2 hours of sightseeing time and that is assuming you time the ferry schedule perfectly. You will be rushing through the fortress. When you are back at Market Square it will be 2:15 at the earliest. The day we visited(early May 2019) there were vendors at Market Square, you could get food there and browse the tents for merchandise but you will have little time.

You did say you wanted to get food and perhaps shop.

It is a short walk to Senate Square and another short walk to the Esplanadi. The day I was there a model runway show was held. It was nice to sit in the park, full of locals, eat and take in the show and atmosphere. Your schedule wont allow time to enjoy the park, see it yes, experience it...no. There are stores and restaurants in the immediate area that your family could shop/eat at but not with your itinerary set as present.

It is a short walk from the park to the bus stop but you would leave the park no later than 3pm(likely earlier) based on the bus schedule and the time needed to walk to the bus stop. You can buy single tickets. I only mentioned the day pass because it includes the public ferry as well as trams and busses. If you had more time to sightsee, the day pass would be better as it cover all your Helsinki transit needs. 

I do think you can see what you have presented. I do have concerns how enjoyable the experience will be in the limited afternoon hours that your family has. Our port call was 7am-2pm, not enough time but I did enjoy Helsinki.

Thank you again.  I have been giving this a lot of thought and I think we are going to pass on the kayaking excursion.  It is sounds like a lot of fun, and I am trying to entertain teenage boys, but honestly, I don't like that the company has VERY strict cancellation policies.  It seems rushed and from what I am learning, Helsinki is just the right size for a short time in port to do our own thing and enjoy the Open Market.  Thanks again! 

3 hours ago, tysmomm said:

Thank you again.  I have been giving this a lot of thought and I think we are going to pass on the kayaking excursion.  

I think you are making the right choice though teenage me would not agree.

To get from the cruise quay to the city center & beyond, it would now make sense to buy the day pass as you can use it on all trams and buses. Bus 14 serves quays LHC & LHD. As of 2019 the driver sells the day pass, cash only using up to 20 Euro note.  Do not have to validate the day pass. Pass is good on HSL ferry not the JT Line ferry.

Bus(direction of Pajmaki) 14's closest stop to city center is Bulevardi and then 15 minute walk to Senate/Market Square. To avoid walking, take 14 to Eiran Sairaala stop. Exit bus and walk forward (same direction bus was traveling), go past 2 or 3 intersecting streets to the tram #3 station (on right side).  You will board tram 3 but it changes to tram #2 at Olympiaterminal where it will wait longer than at other stops. Stay on the tram, you do not have to get off.

Departing Olympiaterminal as tram 2, the second stop Kauppatori is the exit for Market Square and the ferry to Suomenlinna. The third stop Senaatrintori is for Senate Square. Use tram 2 for Rock Church, the opera house and the 1952 Olympic stadium.

Returning to the cruise quay, if you take tram2/3 to Eiran Sairaala and then transfer to bus 14 note that exiting the tram, walk back down and you will see the bus stop on your left(I recall it being on the right last year, maybe it was relocated). The schedule as of today shows bus 14 departs Eiran Sairaala at 14:52 ,15:03 & 15:13 which would have you at the quay by 15:30.  From Bulevardi departures at 14:58, 15:08 & 15:18 to be at the quay by 15:30. Those times may change for summer season, so check the HSL site.

Edited by meadowlander

17 hours ago, tysmomm said:

Thank you again.  I have been giving this a lot of thought and I think we are going to pass on the kayaking excursion.  It is sounds like a lot of fun, and I am trying to entertain teenage boys, but honestly, I don't like that the company has VERY strict cancellation policies.  It seems rushed and from what I am learning, Helsinki is just the right size for a short time in port to do our own thing and enjoy the Open Market.  Thanks again! 

If you still would like to try some sort of paddling while in Helsinki, there is a place called Hakuna Matata SUP Rental that rents sup boards, kayaks, a canoe and a row boat on Töölönlahti, in the heart of the city, near Finlandia Hall. I haven't personally tried their services, but at least the location should be easy to reach. See their website for more information.

• 1 month later...

No Uber, just taxis.

I did a land trip during winter (March) two years ago.  The public transportation is very convenient to the port and everything in the city.  As you are close to Suomenlinna, I would do that and avoid the kayak trip as a 2 hour trip around the island is possible, but cutting it close and doesn't give you the opportunity to see it.  An hour of that two hours will be the boat ride.  I think something has to give if you want to enjoy your day-either Suomenlinna or kayak.  The ferry is about 20 min each way and they will check for tickets, we saw a local get a ticket.  If you do this get a day pass, you can save time and download the app and do it on your phone, it works for multiple people too as my husband had both of  our tickets on his phone/account, not all tram stops sell tickets if you do the kayak and end up somewhere else. To stay active the walk around the island is beautiful, though in winter the wind was awful.  (Not sure if that is a summer issue).  My vote is for the island unless you just love kayaking...hopefully your trip is still going.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:53 AM, bearette said:

No Uber, just taxis.

I did a land trip during winter (March) two years ago.  The public transportation is very convenient to the port and everything in the city.  As you are close to Suomenlinna, I would do that and avoid the kayak trip as a 2 hour trip around the island is possible, but cutting it close and doesn't give you the opportunity to see it.  An hour of that two hours will be the boat ride.  I think something has to give if you want to enjoy your day-either Suomenlinna or kayak.  The ferry is about 20 min each way and they will check for tickets, we saw a local get a ticket.  If you do this get a day pass, you can save time and download the app and do it on your phone, it works for multiple people too as my husband had both of  our tickets on his phone/account, not all tram stops sell tickets if you do the kayak and end up somewhere else. To stay active the walk around the island is beautiful, though in winter the wind was awful.  (Not sure if that is a summer issue).  My vote is for the island unless you just love kayaking...hopefully your trip is still going.

Actually, since the new legislation for taxi services took effect in July 2018, Uber has been operating in Helsinki (and actually it tried already earlier, but then some courtcases ruled its services illegal under the previous legislation), although its service may be not be as widely available as some other taxi and rideshare offerings. And for many journeys the public transport might still offer far better value than any taxi or comparable rideshare.

And who knows how this current pandemia affects the economy and whether all taxi and rideshare companies survive, at least the news have told that the demand for taxi services have been very low recently.

Suomenlinna in winter might require some acquired taste (especially on a cold and windy day), although at least you can avoid the crowds that easily fill the islands on a nice, warm sunny day.

12 hours ago, Hezu said:

Actually, since the new legislation for taxi services took effect in July 2018, Uber has been operating in Helsinki (and actually it tried already earlier, but then some courtcases ruled its services illegal under the previous legislation), although its service may be not be as widely available as some other taxi and rideshare offerings. And for many journeys the public transport might still offer far better value than any taxi or comparable rideshare.

And who knows how this current pandemia affects the economy and whether all taxi and rideshare companies survive, at least the news have told that the demand for taxi services have been very low recently.

Suomenlinna in winter might require some acquired taste (especially on a cold and windy day), although at least you can avoid the crowds that easily fill the islands on a nice, warm sunny day.

There you go,they may have Uber. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are big fans of Rick Steves guide books. His walking tours are spot on every time. We used it on our first visit to Helsinki and had a wonderful time. Great recommendations for sites, dining and local information

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
NCL Getaway 3/29/2020
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021
CCL Dream 5/16/2021