British Isle Trip/Currency

Thom71

9 minutes ago, Thom71 said:

Curious about the currency required on our up coming British Isle trip.
Will we need pound sterling and euros for London & Scotland?

Thanks in advance

The legal currency is the pound sterling. So, if you are paying in cash then pounds will be required. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all use the pound. If the ship is visiting Southern Ireland (Dublin) then euros will be needed. ATMs are everywhere and will issue a minimum of £10. Alternatively, you can pay for almost anything with a credit or debit card. With all due respect, please do not assume or insist that US dollars be accepted.

• Like 3

We are also going on the British Isle Explorer.  If you go to Viking website and log in, look at ITINERARY and click on each day.  It will show you information about each specific port including what currency is used.  From what I remember Norway is different, every other port the same.  

We typically take a little currency in cash but use our credit card that does not charge international fees.  We either end up buying a little something at the end with the currency, or give it as extra tips.  

Our TA can order the cash we need, and it's really an easy process.  The bank wasn't difficult, but I think easier through TA because they check to make sure you are getting what you really need.  

16 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We are also going on the British Isle Explorer.  If you go to Viking website and log in, look at ITINERARY and click on each day.  It will show you information about each specific port including what currency is used.  From what I remember Norway is different, every other port the same.  

We typically take a little currency in cash but use our credit card that does not charge international fees.  We either end up buying a little something at the end with the currency, or give it as extra tips.  

Our TA can order the cash we need, and it's really an easy process.  The bank wasn't difficult, but I think easier through TA because they check to make sure you are getting what you really need.  

Norway is the Norwegian krone.

We were on this trip a couple of years ago and were told that although technically the pounds that we acquired in Scotland (issued by a Scottish bank) were legal currency in all of Britain we might experience some reluctance on the part of some vendors to accept it.  If you are starting your cruise in Bergen and will be in Scotland before you are in England I wouldn't get too many Scottish pounds and assume they can get you through the England portion of the trip. 

https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

Friendly" and "sunflower" are right ... ATMS are abundant and credit cards are accepted just about everywhere.

It is a wonderful itinerary!  Have a great time!

Scottish pounds are pounds sterling and are accepted across the UK. 

If you're only going to be needing a little cash for coffees or small souvenirs then card machines are pretty ubiquitous and only require tap payment. Purchases under £30 don't require a pin either. Simple! 

As a UK resident I am now finding very little need to carry any cash and only never have more than £10 in my purse and that can last me a number of weeks.

The country is virtually a cash free society with contactless debit card payments and credit cards being used instead.

1 hour ago, sugarside said:

As a UK resident I am now finding very little need to carry any cash and only never have more than £10 in my purse and that can last me a number of weeks.

The country is virtually a cash free society with contactless debit card payments and credit cards being used instead.

Scandinavia is similarly cash free. However the cash issue arises for tipping guides & bus drivers per Viking recommendations.

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Scandinavia is similarly cash free. However the cash issue arises for tipping guides & bus drivers per Viking recommendations.

After several trips to Europe we learned to carry coins to use the toilets........and the tipping.

2 hours ago, Thom71 said:

After several trips to Europe we learned to carry coins to use the toilets........and the tipping.

Ohhhh wow thanks for the heads up!! It had not occurred to me that we might have to pay for using toilets!! Do you recall which coins they take to get in?

BTW, those of you who have not been to Australia, don't ask where the restroom is...they will assume you are looking for a restaurant!  They are toilets in Australia also! We may have left some Australians laughing.....

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Scottish pounds are pounds sterling and are accepted across the UK. 

In theory, and legally, yes... but in practice Scottish notes are very reluctantly accepted in many areas of England.  I live in a seaside town which has lots of visiting Scots (we always know when it's Glasgow Wakes week 😉 ), and consequently Scottish banknotes are more common here than some other places, but even so, if I am given a Scottish note in my change I sometimes encounter reluctance from small traders to accept it.  I guess we see them so rarely - and each Scottish bank issues its own notes in totally different designs - that it's harder to know if they're fake!  

I've travelled all round the UK and have never had any difficulties with the Scottish pound. I have however, been given euros and other foreign currency in change in small shops or by unscrupulous taxi drivers. Always worth checking your change. 

As previously stated you may not need actually currency by using your cards for even the smallest amount. 

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

I guess we see them so rarely - and each Scottish bank issues its own notes in totally different designs - that it's harder to know if they're fake!  

I don’t think I’ve spotted a fake note in any currency. I don’t actually contemplate each note to see if it’s a forgery or not. English notes are just as likely to be fake as Scottish ones. Enjoy your visit to Great Britain. You will be made very welcome whichever part you visit.

Another thing I've just thought of re reluctance to accept certain currency is that the £50 note is not all that popular with shops as it seems to be the one that is faked more and its use in money laundering scams is well known.Having these notes also points you out as a tourist hitch is something to avoid if you can.

All in all better to carry as little cash as possible as folks are all saying.

In the UK having £1 and £2 coins to tip coach drivers and tour guides would be a good idea.

It would be generous to move up to the lowest denomination of note which is £5 but would not necessarily be expected but of course that is totally up to you.

Just to add my comments to others given above - assuming you are doing the itinerary from Bergen to London

You will need Norwegian Krone if you plan to use cash in Bergen. From memory I think the public toilets require a 50 cent coin. However if you grab a coffee in a Costa or Starbucks you can use the facilities there. Bit more expensive but saves the hassle of seeking out change.

Shetland, Invergordon, Edinburgh, Kirkwall, Ullapool, Belfast, Liverpool, Holyhead, Dover and London will all require Pound Sterling. However there are one or two caveats as hinted above. In the Shetland to Ullapool sector you may be faced with receiving £5, £10 or £20 notes in change issued by several Scottish banks. Within Scotland you will have no problems using them but here I have to take issue with @Nippy Sweetie. Outside of Scotland you may have problems with acceptance even in large stores. The same comments apply for Belfast, as Northern Ireland banks issue their own notes that differ from the standard Bank of England notes. In my view I would avoid using ATM's in Scotland or Northern Ireland as you will almost certainly get Scottish or Northern Irish notes dispensed.

To avoid any difficulties I would ask your TA to source a quantity of Sterling notes (these will be Bank of England notes) in small denominations £5 and £10 preferably but also £20 if necessary. As said above avoid having £50 notes as they are often treated with suspicion. In all the UK ports, public toilets are generally free although some may charge a 20 pence coin.  If in doubt, visit a large department store or supermarket if there is one nearby as they will usually have free public toilets.

In Dublin you will need Euros. Again get small denomination notes - 5 and 10 Euro. Some public toilets in Dublin may charge so use the department store option or better still - visit Kilkenny's gift shop close to Trinity College and Grafton Street. Browse the gifts and/or use the cafe/coffee shop with free toilet access.

Contactless payment is widely available in the UK so could be the answer for small purchases but be aware that there may be a limit to the number of contactless purchases made before you will be required to enter a PIN to validate the purchase.

"but in practice Scottish notes are very reluctantly accepted in many areas of England" -- Jammy Bun

Never EVER found this.  In any area of England.  It is probably a mischievous myth trotted out for and by tourists.  Never met an Englishman who would not accept money of whatever stripe.  The comment about the paper £50 note is relevant however.  Best to stick with £5 (blue) and £10 (brown) plastic notes, and the larger coins.  You may find reluctance to accept credit cards for very small transactions, especially in smaller shops and cafes in smaller ports of call. 

I cannot agree with Arlowood's comments about use and acceptance of Scottish notes.  Where does he/she get this perception?

However, after your holiday, foreign (non-UK) banks will almost always refuse Scottish notes (but will often accept BoE ones), so it would be probably wise to use them or change them before leaving the country.