Effect of Coronavirus on March French Polynesia Trip

Verokaren

As time draws closer to our March "trip of a lifetime" to French Polynesia on the Regatta, I am wondering if any of you seasoned cruisers out there have an opinion on how this trip might be affected from the recent cancellations and rerouting of other ships. I am hoping that the virus does not spread to any Pacific islands as that would be devastating for all. I am monitoring the boards daily, but appreciate any insight from others!

1 hour ago, Verokaren said:

As time draws closer to our March "trip of a lifetime" to French Polynesia on the Regatta, I am wondering if any of you seasoned cruisers out there have an opinion on how this trip might be affected from the recent cancellations and rerouting of other ships. I am hoping that the virus does not spread to any Pacific islands as that would be devastating for all. I am monitoring the boards daily, but appreciate any insight from others!

This is a very good question which unfortunately cannot be answered or predicted this side of a Crystal ball.

Polynesia has historically been aloof from the problems of the World by virtue of their comparative isolation.

Jet travel and the Internet has changed all of that, and they are keenly aware of it. 

Add in the desperation of the Ship owners suddenly needing  fresh playgrounds for their multi million dollar investments and, well, just about anything could happen.

This was on the Ask a Cruise Question board :

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730286-cruise-critic-news-cruise-ships-banned-from-south-pacific-islands-due-to-coronavirus-fears/

These aren't ports that O visits to my knowledge, but I can certainly understand the decision due to the islands' isolation and limited medical availability.

Yikes. . . .I don't blame those island chiefs either, but scary for those of us who have planned and paid for this special trip.  I can imagine a trip where we simply cruise around the French Polynesia area and never get off the ship to snorkel :/.  Oh well, time will tell, and hopefully, this virus will burn out soon. 

On 2/8/2020 at 4:57 AM, Verokaren said:

Hello Karen,

I'm on the Papeete-Hawaii-SF in April and have had the same worry. Think we have to keep fingers crossed that more knowledge about the virus is gained. And that the spread somehow can be contained.

Hi Petoonya!

Yes, fingers crossed indeed.  All I care about is jumping into those waters with my mask and snorkel, and taking in that underwater life.  I have so enjoyed reading your posts and advice about the area.  I am feeling more relaxed today about the situation and feel like things will work out for the best.  Hang in there, and I will be thinking about you in April!!

Best, 

Karen

13 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Yes, fingers crossed indeed.  All I care about is jumping into those waters with my mask and snorkel, and taking in that underwater life.  I have so enjoyed reading your posts and advice about the area.  I am feeling more relaxed today about the situation and feel like things will work out for the best.  Hang in there, and I will be thinking about you in April!!

Agreed Karen- I've straightened my thinking a bit too. Whatever happens is best for everyone's health both those on the ship and those countries threatened. And there are other Tahiti cruises too- if by some chance it gets scrapped wasn't meant to be and we'll both be doing Tahiti as soon as possible. Best to you too 🙂

• Like 1