Disembarkation Questions for Kiel Ostuferhafen Terminal

geospyder

We will be on the MSC Splendida for a Kiel to Kiel cruise of Norway.  The ship is scheduled to arrive back at Kiel 0900.  

What is a reasonable time to expect to be off the ship if we set out the luggage the night before?  We have a ride scheduled for 1030.

Do you have to set out your luggage the night before or can you do your own walk off?

Any customs, passport checks, etc. in Kiel for US citizens?

14 hours ago, geospyder said:

Any customs, passport checks, etc. in Kiel for US citizens?

Depends on the port of the last stop prior to Kiel. No customs & passport checks if you are arriving from a Schengen area country. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SirWolf said:

Depends on the port of the last stop prior to Kiel. No customs & passport checks if you are arriving from a Schengen area country. 

I learned something 🙂  As much as I've traveled I had not heard of the Schengen area.  Looks like I'll be good to go.  Last port prior is Norway.  I'll already have my entry stamp to the Schengen area from Amsterdam.

Edited by geospyder

Norway is one of the 26 Schengen countries, traveling from Norway to Germany is within Schengen area. Same as from Holland to Germany or from Italy to France. Traveling from Russia to Germany requires customs and passport check since Russia is not a Schengen area country.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geospyder said:

I learned something 🙂  As much as I've traveled I had not heard of the Schengen area.  Looks like I'll be good to go.  

This is important for ALL cruises is Europe, not just in the North.

If there is one non Schengen port included the things get much more bureaucratic. If all Schengen everybody can enjoy total seamless travel, even if you hold an Afghanistan passport 😄

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I hate to bring up old thread.  I posted a similar question couple days ago. 

I need to catch 11:00 train to Copenhagen to catch flight home. 

It seems msc port is not very close.  Like 15 minutes. 

Is ship always on time into Kiel.  Is 9am scheduled to disembark or for ship to arrive.  There is a 13:00 train but only gives us two hours to checkin and close boarding.   I am elite at airport that can save a few. 

19 hours ago, thepla said:

I hate to bring up old thread.  I posted a similar question couple days ago. 

I need to catch 11:00 train to Copenhagen to catch flight home. 

It seems msc port is not very close.  Like 15 minutes. 

Is ship always on time into Kiel.  Is 9am scheduled to disembark or for ship to arrive.  There is a 13:00 train but only gives us two hours to checkin and close boarding.   I am elite at airport that can save a few. 

We had to take a water ferry from the Kiel port "into" town after walking QUITE a distance out of the port.  Granted, we were just there for the day but it was not convenient at all.  At the risk of stirring the pot, why don't you change your cruise and join and depart in Copenhagen (which is what we did)?

19 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

We had to take a water ferry from the Kiel port "into" town after walking QUITE a distance out of the port.  Granted, we were just there for the day but it was not convenient at all.  At the risk of stirring the pot, why don't you change your cruise and join and depart in Copenhagen (which is what we did)?

My issue we have to catch late flight from Copenhagen. 

It seems we could be off by 9:30 or so and take a twenty minute taxi to train station.  Train leaves at 11 for five hours getting to airport with four hours to spare.  Not ideal but seems very doable 

On 2/10/2020 at 11:32 AM, perakcruiser said:

Should be no problem at all. And the railway station is just a very short walk from the ship.

Not. Kiel Ostuferhafen terminal is a LONG walk to Kiel Hauptbanhof. It's a quick taxi ride around the bottom of the harbor but walking with baggage is more than an hour. Just take a taxi; they will be awaiting passengers getting off the ship and you'll be at the station in 10 minutes.

I saw the msc port across town.  If ship is in time and we take our own bags I feel confident we can be at train by 10:40.  I’d assume there will be taxis or Uber nearby.  I’m diamond which might help 

If the ship is on time, this should be doable.

Uber isn't a big thing in germany (due to legal restrictions), but there are taxis waiting and coming when a cruise ship arrives.

Of course there´s always the risk of a delay. Actually, the only delay I experienced so far with MSC (6 cruises with about 40 port calls) happened to be in Kiel: had to wait 2 hours for embarkation, because the ship arrived late from a transatlantic reposition, and it was that year´s first call of an MSC ship in Kiel. I wouldn´t expect such delays during the usual round trips they do all summer long.

Another thing you should take into account are delayed trains. German railway isn´t quite "german", but famous for their delays.

Edited by RudiRatlos
  • Haha 1