Limassol, Cyprus - what to do for a day?

We are travelling onboard the Celestyal Crystal at the end of February and have a LONG first port in Egypt (12 hour excursion to Cairo) and then a LONG next port (10 hour excursion to Bethlehem and Jerusalem) in Israel. Our next port is Limassol, Cyprus from 11am to 6pm and because of the 2 intense days before this we decided to just get off the ship, have lunch and walk around the city. Any suggestions of places to eat or things to do for the day in Limassol?

• 3 weeks later...

Since no one else has replied, I will say that I've been in Limassol several times and it is a very dusty, rather depressing place if you just stay in the city. Perhaps the new marina area is better now but when I went it was disappointing.

I would recommend at least a half-day of sightseeing in order to see some of the nearby highlights such as Kourion and Kolossi castle.  Even better, go to Paphos which is much more charming.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent two weeks in Cyprus last October.  Paphos at one end,  Proaris at the other, with Nicosia nearby.  Besides the arch. sites, Nicosia has a fabulous small museum.

But....I would be tempted to rent a car (right hand drive, usually standard) and drive up through the mountains, up past the ski hills.  Very different scenery, some lovely small villages and churches.  When we left Paphos the temperature was 33.  Two hours later, in the mountains, it was 22.  You could do a circle tour, take in the scenery, a church or two, and perhaps a vineyard.

We gave Limossol a complete miss.  Drove right by twice.  

Edited by iancal

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It isn't much of a place agreed, but it does have a promenade and lovely beaches in addition to the marina area, but as others have suggested,  Kourion is definitely worth a visit.  Long journey by public bus, but as we were 4 we took a taxi which was much quicker as more direct.

Internet search for info on both Kourion also Tripadvisor for Limassol suggestions.

A less demanding day might be just what you need but it would be a shame to not go ashore at all.