Grand getting into SFO late!!!

nycruiser2006

On the Grand now.  Its been a wild 15-Hawaiian adventure.  We had to turn around on our 1st sea day headed back to San Francisco. Medical emergency. Went all the way back to Honolulu. We were granted a reprieve from going to Ensenada for Jones act requirements, but we will still arrive approximately 5 hrs later than original ETA. Heads up for anyone on the Feb 11 10-day mexican cruise

Thanks for posting.  The Feb 11 roll call is getting fairly contemporaneous feedback from a few B2B pax currently onboard.  Still, for those not watching the roll call your post is helpful.  Embarkation is scheduled to start at 5PM STRICTLY following a revised progressive boarding schedule.  Princess is asking that no one arrive at pier 27 until 5:00 to avoid overcrowding.

No word on sail away schedule, but it should be a very nice clear but cold evening to see the lights of San Francisco as the ship exits the bay.

If you're sailing on the 11th, I'm told you can look at the very bottom of your itinerary (from the personalizer) for the very latest updates and instructions.

We're boarding on the 21st, hoping that somehow the Feb 11 sailing is able to make up some of the lost time without loosing any port calls for those about to board.   

2 minutes ago, Gimer said:

It's 11:30 am and Grand is still 75 miles out.  Looks like she has been sitting out there for hours.  

Still kind of windy here ....nothing like 2 days ago.  I thought our roof was going to blow off.  I read yesterday that the ship was really rocking and rolling out there on its way back, although, that stretch is usually pretty choppy as it is.  

49 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Still kind of windy here ....nothing like 2 days ago.  I thought our roof was going to blow off.  I read yesterday that the ship was really rocking and rolling out there on its way back, although, that stretch is usually pretty choppy as it is.  

Winds are currently between 3 and 8 mph in the vicinity of the cruise terminal. The tugs should be able to handle that.

Edited by brisalta

Just now, brisalta said:

Winds are currently between 3 and 8 mph at the cruise terminal. The tugs should be able to handle that.

That's nothing!  It's blowing much stronger than that here on the other side of the bay.  

A couple of days ago, the wind was clocked at 209 mph up at Kirkwood ... yikes!!  I didn't even know that was possible.  But, that's far far away but,  we still had a lot of fences as well as a few trees down in my neighborhood.  

• Like 1

Down where I live it can be 5 knots on the bay and then you go twenty feet and the wind can be blowing 30 knots.

Makes for interesting sailing.

Anyway if the wind does pick up again they may delay sailing. Last time I was on the Grand a tug had a power failure and the wind wedged it under the pier opposite the terminal. Nice sounds of timbers sheering. They looked distressed until they finally restarted their engine and pulled out from the pier.

Grand is just tied up to Pier 27 and it's 3:22 pm.  Man, it's going to be a late night for all.  My neighbor, Grand's Music Director is getting off and taking Uber home.  I was supposed to pick him up at 11 am.  Things do happen.  He'll be home by 7.  They must of had a rough time coming up the coast.