Advice for NCL newbie, coming from Carnival.

nasellemom1

Hi everyone, we are a family of four (kids 8&10) We just booked NCL Getaway for Oct'21 for the Mediterranean 10 day. Super excited. But overwhelmed, we are usually Carnival cruisers but they did not offer the itinerary we wanted. I'm hoping to get some advice or tips for what to expect on NCL. I will look at the Euro board for all the flights, hotels, and excursions but I am hoping to get some help with the NCL side of things.  I've been looking online at the website and it seems to be a very different cruise line compared to Carnival.  Any advice will be helpful unless you tell me to cancel....not going to happen :) TIA

Tips: 

1. Read the terms and conditions so you understand the promotions you signed up for: https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions
  2. Shore Excursions will be posted online as soon as contracts are signed with the local tour providers. You're on a megaship with 4500 passengers, so a popular tour in a small port will sell out before you board. If you have the ShoreEx credit, you must CALL (not book online) - read the terms and conditions
  3. 120 days prior to departure (June 23) reservations open for dining and main theater shows. If you have specialty dining with your promotions, prime time reservations will sell out quickly. Book as close to 120 days out as possible (130 days if you are in a Haven suite). 
  4. You can use your dining credit to attend the Cirque show for an upcharge. Always by premium seats. 
  5. Always register your kids for the Splash Academy as soon as you embark. And then always make them attend on the first night so they make friends.
  6. All complimentary dining is Freestyle Dining (you show up when you are hungry and when it meets your schedule). You will be given a 4-top table for your family alone. Complimentary dining include the Tropicana Room MDR, Taste MDR, Savor MDR, O'Sheehan's Grill (open for seated dining 24 hours a day), and the Garden Cafe buffet. 

Enjoy the Getaway!  10 Days in the Med is amazing. 

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Tips: 

1. Read the terms and conditions so you understand the promotions you signed up for: https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions
  2. Shore Excursions will be posted online as soon as contracts are signed with the local tour providers. You're on a megaship with 4500 passengers, so a popular tour in a small port will sell out before you board. If you have the ShoreEx credit, you must CALL (not book online) - read the terms and conditions
  3. 120 days prior to departure (June 23) reservations open for dining and main theater shows. If you have specialty dining with your promotions, prime time reservations will sell out quickly. Book as close to 120 days out as possible (130 days if you are in a Haven suite). 
  4. You can use your dining credit to attend the Cirque show for an upcharge. Always by premium seats. 
  5. Always register your kids for the Splash Academy as soon as you embark. And then always make them attend on the first night so they make friends.
  6. All complimentary dining is Freestyle Dining (you show up when you are hungry and when it meets your schedule). You will be given a 4-top table for your family alone. Complimentary dining include the Tropicana Room MDR, Taste MDR, Savor MDR, O'Sheehan's Grill (open for seated dining 24 hours a day), and the Garden Cafe buffet. 

Enjoy the Getaway!  10 Days in the Med is amazing. 

This is all so helpful, thank you so much. Is there anything I should look to purchase in advance, ie. spa passes, early boarding, priority for specific things... 

All of my past cruise (except 2 on NCL) have been on Carnival.  Some of the differences I noticed are:

1) Cabins are smaller on NCL

2) Staff is more friendlier on Carnival

3)  All of the restaurants on Carnival are free - except one.  There are many that you have to pay for on NCL.

4)  You don't have to book for shows on Carnival.

5)  Carnival's theater with the main stage is with couches and tables, NCL is theater seats.  Lots of things on  Carnival are held there - NCL will try and squeeze 3000 people into the atrium for things.

They were just a few off the top of my head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelersfan4ever said:

3)  All of the restaurants on Carnival are free - except one.  There are many that you have to pay for on NCL.

Depends on the ship though.  Fahrenheit 555, Bonsai, Chef's Table, Cucina Del Capitano, JiJi, Pig & Anchor(the new ships), and Seafood Shack are all additional.