From Shimizu to ropeway to the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine

pethi

We'll be docked at Shimizu from 7am to 3pm. I was wondering whether it's possible to go to the ropeway up to the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine using public transport or do you need more time?

If it's cloudy, we might just stay in the port instead.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:09 AM, pethi said:

We'll be docked at Shimizu from 7am to 3pm. I was wondering whether it's possible to go to the ropeway up to the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine using public transport or do you need more time?

We used public transport when we were docked in Shimizu to get to Miho-no-matsubara and it worked well.  However, I think it would be quite ambitious to try to get to Kunozan Toshogu Shrine in the time you have in port.  According to their website, it takes 50 min by bus from JR Shizuoka Station to the Nihondaira Ropeway and then another 5 min walk to the shrine.  Of course, you'd first need to get from Shimizu Port to JR Shizuoka which is another 15 min.  So round trip travel would be at least 2.5 hr assuming train schedules were well coordinated.  It may be doable but I think it would be tight.  If it's a clear day, you can stay in Shimizu and get wonderful views of Mt Fuji.

https://www.toshogu.or.jp/english/access/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, pethi said:

Take a taxi to the ropeway. I would ask on your roll call if anyone wants to share the ride.

Then it can easily be done. Beautiful temple!

More in our review: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, pethi said:

Just been reading the great review and just wanted to know around what time you left again as it seemed that you had a really packed day

Hi! We left Shimizu at 3pm that day. We got back to the ship with plenty of time!

Koji is very meticulous about the time. However, there was no rush at all.

Here´s a link to another day we spent in Shimizu with Koji and went to see different places. We even left earlier, at 2 pm that day:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/HAL-Westerdam-Japan---Shimizu/hal-westerdam-japan---shimizu.html

Edited by Miaminice
  • Thanks 1