Miami transfers many questions

Bothell

We have 6 traveling and get to Miami airport at 6:45am. We will people watch and eat breakfast and then head to the port.

We do not have pre-arranged transfers. Is there just a line up of taxi's/vans that will take us to the port? We know we will have to take 2 taxi's or one van w/six of us. I heard there is a "standard" price from the airport to the ports, is this true? Do you just tell the driver what ship and they know where to go? How long is the drive from the airport? We want to get to the port about 10:30.

TIA!

Lisa

20 days and counting!

We have 6 traveling and get to Miami airport at 6:45am. We will people watch and eat breakfast and then head to the port.

We do not have pre-arranged transfers. Is there just a line up of taxi's/vans that will take us to the port? We know we will have to take 2 taxi's or one van w/six of us. I heard there is a "standard" price from the airport to the ports, is this true? Do you just tell the driver what ship and they know where to go? How long is the drive from the airport? We want to get to the port about 10:30.

TIA!

Lisa

20 days and counting!

Just get in line at the taxi stand at the airport (if there is a line). Question, are you eating in the airport? You'll have to exit security to grab your baggage and I'm sure you don't want to let your luggage circle the conveyor if you try and eat first.

The only restaurants I can think of downtown are only open for dinner.

The airport is a short drive from the port, 15 minutes tops.

I would not take the cruiselines transfers.. First off you will have to wait til almost noon for the first shuttle.

Arriving at 6:45 am... getting your luggage.. will take you about 7:15. Still to early to head to the port= I dont even think they will let you in at that time. Grab something to eat at the airport and head to the port about 10:30 or so.

Taxis are one price. you could probably get a taxi van--depending on how you all pack.

Just get in line at the taxi stand at the airport (if there is a line). Question, are you eating in the airport? You'll have to exit security to grab your baggage and I'm sure you don't want to let your luggage circle the conveyor if you try and eat first.

The only restaurants I can think of downtown are only open for dinner.

The airport is a short drive from the port, 15 minutes tops.

I never thought about our luggage and getting it and then not having anywhere to eat beacuse we are out of security. Oh well, maybe we will just sit on our bags and wait and wait for 3 hours til we can take a taxi. Darn

You can always taxi down to the port and eat at a hotel near there - there's a Hilton across from Bayside Marketplace.

I think you could probably breakfast at Bayside if the hotels don't work for you. I think a hotel with a water view would be a lovely option but you would have to get a cab twice.

First I would not take a taxi to the port if you have 6 people, take the U.S. Shuttle van. You can make a reservation and it is the same cost as a cab. only it a van and the will take all of you togther.

as for breakfast, you may wnat to goto one of the airport hotels for breakfast and then grab a shuttle to the port when you ready.

The cab driver will know where to bring you for the ship. all of carnivals ships dock in the same area and the taxis have to enter the same way to discharge passangers.

Capt Bill

I am in the same situation, arriving in Miami before 9 am. It would be nice to go somewhere to eat, but I can't see hauling all that luggage to a hotel and leaving it out in the lobby while we are in the restaurant. I can't think of anywhere except the port where I would be willing to drag the luggage.

Maybe we will just take lots of snacks and water and just wait till lunch for a proper meal on the ship.

I was wondering if you could use the bellhop services to store your luggage at a hotel just so you can eat breakfast?

Well, sounds like we are gonna have 3 hours to "sit" until we get in line at port.

Does anyone know how early we can go sit at port? Even if we just sit there and wait for them to open it would be better then sitting on a sidewalk somewhere or eating breakfast with 6 large peices of luggage and 6 carry on's!

There are food courts at all the terminal areas in the Miami airport that are on the "public" side of the security checkpoints. You can find lots of breakfast items. You will need to control your luggage, but if you grab a table or booth that is kinda out of the main walkways, you shouldn't have a problem with being in the way too much.

Regarding the van taxis,.....they are all basic minivans....not full-sized (i.e. 11 to 15 passenger) vans. The four of us filled up a van taxi (we each had two bags and some sort of carryon). The fare to the port should be around $24--that's for the whole taxi, not per person.

Hope that helps!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

....still wishing she was on the Valor (December 2005)

Archived