Ship or Itinerary?

scotts8826

The itinerary I prefer is on a smaller, older ship. A newer, larger ship has an itinerary that would be ok but not first choice. When selecting a cruise, which should take priority, the ship or the itinerary? Will a lesser ship dampen the overall experience? Can a nice vessel make up for a run of the mill itinerary? FYI, I would be traveling with three sons (first time cruisers, 11, 13, 16) and wife.

Thanks.

The itinerary I prefer is on a smaller, older ship. A newer, larger ship has an itinerary that would be ok but not first choice. When selecting a cruise, which should take priority, the ship or the itinerary? Will a lesser ship dampen the overall experience? Can a nice vessel make up for a run of the mill itinerary? FYI, I would be traveling with three sons (first time cruisers, 11, 13, 16) and wife.

Thanks.

Only you can answer that question. The ship is the most important to me and older and smaller in many aspects has more appeal than bigger and newer, as IMO, that does not necessarily mean better.

You do not mention specific ships and that does make a difference.

Frankly I first look at the itiniery especially for Alaska and Canada/New England. In Alaska I look to see if there is alot more "outside passage" rather than the preferred "Inside Passage". In The Canada/New England route I really look to see if on the 10 day route if it leaves from one city and ends in another. I prefer r/t from same port.

Marilyn

Ditto Caviargal.only you can decide which is more important, however we can throw some thing out here.

We look at both to begin with, there has got to be a decent balance, also throw price into the mix and it's even more complex.

We don't mind an older ship, as long as it offers some of the things we find on the new magaships. Example, when we checked for Alaska one of the ships we looked at was older (no problem) but it didn't have an indoor pool of any type. Maybe we don't swim every day but I still want one.

If I were sailing with three youngsters I would look at a newer ship with all the things that will help keep them occupied and happy.

Thanks for the replies.

Specifically the ships I am comparing are the Norwegian Dream and the RC Rhapsody of the Seas. I like the ports that the Dream visits, Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel. Something a bit different and great snorkeling from what I've read. The Rhapsody takes a more traditional route with Key West, Cozumel and Cayman, still nice but more commercialized. No matter the itinerary, a fair amount of time is still spent on the ship. The reviews I've read about the Dream either hate it or think it is "OK". Rhapsody of the Seas is much nicer.

I'm sure I won't go wrong with either one but for the money I have to pay to take a family of five, I can't be too cautious or informed.

You have made a good start with choosing itineraries. Both are West. Car., but I agree with you that the Dream has a far more interesting itinerary in far less congested ports. So more points on itinerary, but there are more things I think you should consider.

The NCL family has the 'Freestyle Cruising' and open seating dinner where the RCI family has traditional assigned dining. That might have a big impact on your choice, depending on your family's personal style and desires.

Both ships have been refurbished recently (Dream 2005, ROS 2004) so I would not put as much concern as to actual age as to what amenities are on board that you and your boys want to use. I would also look only at reviews that have occurred after these dates to get an accurate assessment. I also put more faith in professional reviews than in personal opinions. (And remember that my advice is only a personal opinion :) )

I would suggest that you get brochures for both ships/lines and/or look online at the many pictures posted of the public areas and activites and see if one or the other really jumps out at you. If you can visualize your family on one ship, and not so much on the other, then that's the one to pick.

For size differences, keep in mind that a smaller ship will usually have less problems with crowds or tendering.

If you still are at an impasse after taking all these things into consideration, then just go with the best price, but I think one or the other will be more desirable to you before that point.

Sorry, but I would strongly recommend you avoid Dream. While I did enjoy my cruises on NCL Sun, I was terribly disappointed in the Dream. She is not well maintained and the cruise staff was unimpressive.

Food, not an NCL strong point except in the ala care restaurants, was not good.

I cruised Rhapsody to Alaska years ago and then was on the ship for lunch 2-3 years ago. She is open and light and bright and is a very pretty ship. While Dream is of the vintage with low ceilings in many areas, etc., Rhapsody is typical RCI in terms of well maintained ships with casually elegant decor.

I really, really would avoid NCL Dream, at any cost.

I'd have to disagree on NCL's food. I've found it to be very good on our NCL cruises, and have cruised NCL, RCCL, X and Cunard.

I do avoid the buffet's tho and go for the main dining room.

For two adults, I prefer the smaller ships, but with your kids I'd opt for the RCCL as there will be more to keep them going.

I've gotta say, I've been on enough cruises that I'm totally bored with Key West. Cozumel except to dive, and Jamaica, so itinerary would win out in my view.

We loved the Dream. We took our 14 year old son. He had a better time on this cruise than Disney, Princess or Mariner of the Seas. The youth counselors are great and freestyle dining is nice. The itinerary is good too. Itineraries can change, so the ship has to be a factor.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

I am a seasoned cruiser. I would recommend the nicer cruise line. All cruises are what you make of them. That being said, the larger ship may offer your first time cruising kids more things to do. The destinations are secondary to me. The part of the cruise I enjoy most are the at sea days. Go for the larger, better ship. Good luck with your decision.:cool:

When are you looking to travel? If it is anytime during hurricane season, I would go with ship first, itinerary second. Weather and mechanical problems can cause ships to change itineraries easily, especially during hurricane season. I wouldn't want to be "stuck" on a ship I wasn't as happy with if the itinerary changed. Now if you are happy with both ships, then I would choose the itinerary you prefer.

Hi Scott,

I have not been on Rhapsody but I have been on the Dream. I also picked it for the itinerary, 3 ports we had never seen and usually try for something different. We were on it in Oct.2004 out of New Orleans the year before Katrina. I was told at that time that it had been refurbished..and it had not been. I honestly have to say that of all my cruises, that it was the roughest ride I have ever had, I found the ship itself very boring and I am old. The ports were good and the staff was great but I could never recommend that ship to anyone. Have you looked at other ships that stop at Roatan and Belize? I'm sure there are some out there, I just don't think that 3 children would be happy on the Dream. We got sick every day because of the rocking and the sea days were very dull, also. I've done 2 Royal Caribbean ships and loved them, and a different Norwegian one...Freestyle is great...it was just that ship we didn't like. Happy sails to your family.....

Thanks for all the insightful comments. While I do like the Dream's itinerary, at this point I think I'll try for the Rhapsody. Overall the ratings are higher and while we will look forward to the port of calls, we do end up with more time on the ship than in the ports.

I know the cruise will be what we make of it, but it is nice to start a small step ahead of the game with a nice ship.

This is a great question. I discovered this board after I booked my cruise. I am using all of the information I'm receiving for my current trip AND to plan for my next cruise to Alaska.

I am on the Sun in June sailing the Inside passage. I understand it is not one of the largest ships and does not go to Denali or Glacier Bay. That's ok with me. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it regardless. I will make sure to post my trip report.

Archived