HAL vs PRINCESS - What would you do ?

taxmantoo

I' ve jumped ship to Viking Ocean. My Viking Sky Transatlantic crossing in December blew the HAL/Princess situation out of the water! Stellar food, service, crew, onboard ambiance. Absolutely zero onboard marketing! Thinking I'd "give 'em one more try", my last sailings aboard  Veendam & Crown Princess were too hit & miss regarding various issues with food, service, crew. I sailed aboard Koningsdam two years ago & concluded that HAL just isn't offering the cruise product I'm seeking anymore. I didn't like that ship at all. It's sad to see both beloved cruise lines become shadows of their former selves. I get the impression that Princess is definitely trying harder in all aspects of their operation, but the newbuilds are too big. 

We prefer smaller ships so we usually choose Holland.  Shows aren't very important to us so we don't mind that. We are thinking about trying Viking Ocean but the price seems much more expensive.  The food? Do love the more varied offerings on a bigger ship but they aren't a deal breaker for us. 

• Like 1

Having cruised on Holland America and most recently Sky Princess for us it's no contest.  Holland America is classier and cleaner. Love Holland America's Crow's Nest, promenade deck, amazing entertainment on the world stage and service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This January we sailed 2 weeks on the Sky Princess and then immediately went over to the Zuiderdam for our first ever HAL cruise.  2 other couples we met (one in line and one when we were on the Sky) both said they much preferred the Zuiderdam.  We MUCH preferred the Sky. To be fair, one of the couples were upset with how Princess handled their Polka cruise.  They thought Princess should have catered more to them as far as shutting down venues. (We were ticked off they were on our cruise because it caused some disruptions for us 😐)

The Sky is beautiful, the Zuiderdam is not.  We were shocked at how dark and outdated it was...red velvet couches in the theater?  The food was excellent on the Sky with lots of choices.  On the Zuiderdam they had some strange choices, nothing delicious and there was a lack of meat dishes many nights.  (I dislike fish) I didn't find out until the end of the cruise that there are some selections always available.  They were not listed on the menu every night like they are on Princess.  Service at dinner was lacking.  Muster drill was barbaric.  We met out on deck and it was disorganized and hot.  We could not hear the person telling us what to do.  We could not see them explain how to put on the life vest.  I'm glad it wasn't our first cruise!!  On Princess, you meet in an airconditioned lounge with many crew members standing in front of you and demonstrating. 

We did love our signature suite and our cabin stewards were outstanding.  But this will probably be our last HAL cruise. Go with Princess.

1 hour ago, palolake said:

This January we sailed 2 weeks on the Sky Princess and then immediately went over to the Zuiderdam for our first ever HAL cruise.  2 other couples we met (one in line and one when we were on the Sky) both said they much preferred the Zuiderdam.  We MUCH preferred the Sky. To be fair, one of the couples were upset with how Princess handled their Polka cruise.  They thought Princess should have catered more to them as far as shutting down venues. (We were ticked off they were on our cruise because it caused some disruptions for us 😐)

The Sky is beautiful, the Zuiderdam is not.  We were shocked at how dark and outdated it was...red velvet couches in the theater?  The food was excellent on the Sky with lots of choices.  On the Zuiderdam they had some strange choices, nothing delicious and there was a lack of meat dishes many nights.  (I dislike fish) I didn't find out until the end of the cruise that there are some selections always available.  They were not listed on the menu every night like they are on Princess.  Service at dinner was lacking.  Muster drill was barbaric.  We met out on deck and it was disorganized and hot.  We could not hear the person telling us what to do.  We could not see them explain how to put on the life vest.  I'm glad it wasn't our first cruise!!  On Princess, you meet in an airconditioned lounge with many crew members standing in front of you and demonstrating. 

We did love our signature suite and our cabin stewards were outstanding.  But this will probably be our last HAL cruise. Go with Princess.

I don’t know anything about the Sky (or Princess) but it does seem as if you should have chosen a Pinnacle-class ship instead of a Vista.  P-Class are newer and more modern with muster held indoors.  I am a bit confused about your reference to the Always Available menu not being listed as that has never been my experience.  It’s even listed on the room service menu.

In any event, it sounds as if you have found your niche so that’s nice.