EZI air - cancellation of flight

johnkylie

We have just finished a 6 night cruise on Majestic Princess - had a great time, but wanted to let people know to be careful when booking Ezi air through princess.

We booked a one way flight from Adelaide to Sydney to have three days before our cruise departed.

Booking was easy and prices were good, however, on the Saturday night before we were due to leave on the Sunday (flight was 11am) our son got a notification that the flight was cancelled.  He had booked independently through Virgin Australia.

We didn't get any notification at all, and actually are still waiting for our notification that the flight was cancelled (almost 2 weeks ago now).  So if we hadn't found out through our son we would have turned up to the airport expecting to take the flight!

Luckily we were able to fly on the Sunday and still have our 3 days in Sydney but I doubt I would ever use Ezi air again.

55 minutes ago, johnkylie said:

We have just finished a 6 night cruise on Majestic Princess - had a great time, but wanted to let people know to be careful when booking Ezi air through princess.

We booked a one way flight from Adelaide to Sydney to have three days before our cruise departed.

Booking was easy and prices were good, however, on the Saturday night before we were due to leave on the Sunday (flight was 11am) our son got a notification that the flight was cancelled.  He had booked independently through Virgin Australia.

We didn't get any notification at all, and actually are still waiting for our notification that the flight was cancelled (almost 2 weeks ago now).  So if we hadn't found out through our son we would have turned up to the airport expecting to take the flight!

Luckily we were able to fly on the Sunday and still have our 3 days in Sydney but I doubt I would ever use Ezi air again.

Did you call Princess to find out what happened?

Did you have a TA?

After I make a reservation directly with Princess EZair and find out the reservation number, I go to the airline website, log in and then make sure the reservation had been made.  I give them all the information to contact me in case of changes or notifications about the flight.  I usually book on AA or UA flights and both are good about notifying me of any changes to the flight arrangements.  I also pick my seat in advance as soon as possible.  I have never had a problem only because I deal with the airline and not wait on Princess to notify me.  So did you update your information with the airline so that they knew how to get in contact with you or did you rely only on EZair to be notified?

2 hours ago, johnkylie said:

Yes virgin had all my contact details. I also had the reservation number and had done seat selection. Not sure what else I could have done.

It was Virgin's responsibility to notify you, not Princess.

If you had booked the flight using a travel agent, it still would have been Virgin's responsibility to contact you.

You need to contact Virgin to ask why you were not notified.

Actually I did that when I rang them.  Virgin said that the notification went to princess.

The bottom line is that my son booked directly with Virgin and was notified.  We booked through Eziair with princess and weren't notified.

I guess its up to you whether you take the chance that they will notify you or not.  We wont be risking it again.

I agree that I often get flight time updates and changes from the airline long before I get the info from Princess.  That’s why it’s important to often check your booking using the airline record number before your travel date ... especially as you get closer.  We recently had a change of flights on an international booking (actually much better flight times and connections) that I discovered on the airline site that, after several weeks, hadn’t appeared on the EZair booking. I called Princess and they had to call the airline to confirm that I was correct.  So, you need to take a bit of initiative to stay on top of your booking.

5 hours ago, johnkylie said:

Actually I did that when I rang them.  Virgin said that the notification went to princess.

The bottom line is that my son booked directly with Virgin and was notified.  We booked through Eziair with princess and weren't notified.

I guess its up to you whether you take the chance that they will notify you or not.  We wont be risking it again.

Things like this happen often from cancellation to just a time difference of 5 minutes, or the flight number changes, or the plane type changes.  I am always checking my reservation on the airline itself.  As the flight gets closer I am checking a couple times a day.  I would hope if one does this, that if a flight was cancelled, no matter who it was booked through, that it would show up on the airline site itself?  I have read of too many things happening like this to this OP that I have learned to be responsible.  I have been lucky so far with United, Air Canada, Lufthanza, British Air, Alaska Air, and AA. I have had several changes over all these flights but have been notified of all.  I will continue to use EZair because, for example, with them I am able to fly Bus./First for all my flights, especially those long International ones.  What would cost me to book directly for around $5000-8000, I get through EZair for $1200-1800!

So if you do have upcoming cruises with long flights, I wouldn't ditch EZair right away but would make sure that you are constantly monitoring your own reservations without relying on anyone to tell you first.  Glad you learned in time!

Pooh